BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

home made front plate

+8
rmcomprandy
Tommyj466
cool40
JACKAZZFLATZ
dfree383
460FOXTECH
Wheelie58
johndickjr
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

home made front plate - Page 2 Empty Re: home made front plate

Post  johndickjr May 21st 2014, 7:16 pm

im bring this old thread back up, i knew this guy who did this with his mustang with a 460 it ran in the 10s, and did not have any issues, im not using a BBf now but a 393w ,

home made front plate - Page 2 460plate_zps4f9935cd

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  504T May 24th 2014, 11:24 pm

I've run mine that way for years.... currently a 600 inch C head motor running mid 8's at 3,000 lbs.
504T
504T

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB May 25th 2014, 1:37 am

I took a few measurements and gave them to Keith and didn't have to trim,cut or anything. Piece was perfect. It was well worth the money instead of trying to mock something up and "fabricate" it myself. jus sayn
home made front plate - Page 2 325FA6AA-6A9C-416E-AC07-D5FD55366BAE_zps0n7vzfdx
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  504T May 25th 2014, 10:27 am

70FB wrote:I took a few measurements and gave them to Keith and didn't have to trim,cut or anything. Piece was perfect. It was well worth the money instead of trying to mock something up and "fabricate" it myself. jus sayn

I agree - and it looks great. But having said that, I can also say the individual head plates will work. The previous owner of my car used the individual plates - and about 12 years ago when I moved the engine back a couple of inches I just went ahead and used the same system - my car has made a whole lot of passes down the dragstrip that way. I think one of the reasons it has worked for me is that I have a real good mid-plate. If I had known then what I know now - I'd have a plate like yours - and I'll end up changing mine at some point. I do think it is the better way to go - but it's not the only way.

Kurt.
504T
504T

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 25th 2014, 10:47 am

Just recently we did some dyno testing with an LS7 Chevrolet Super Stock engine.
We tested it with side engine mounts and then with a front motor plate ... then again went back to the solid side mounts.

Lo and behold, the engine made 7 more horsepower peak and 5 average with the front motor plate mounting than with the solid side mounts. All we could figure was that the side mounts were actually distorting the bores a slight amount under power.

Now, the LS7 is an aluminum block so, a sturdy iron block may not see this however, it is something to think about when making near 1,000 horsepower.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 May 25th 2014, 12:30 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Just recently we did some dyno testing with an LS7 Chevrolet Super Stock engine.
We tested it with side engine mounts and then with a front motor plate ... then again went back to the solid side mounts.

Lo and behold, the engine made 7 more horsepower peak and 5 average with the front motor plate mounting than with the solid side mounts. All we could figure was that the side mounts were actually distorting the bores a slight amount under power.

Now, the LS7 is an aluminum block so, a sturdy iron block may not see this however, it is something to think about when making near 1,000 horsepower.

Interesting info Randy....
Goes back to the old trick of putting an inside mike in a bore with just enough tension to keep in in place...then squeezing the block externally and watching it fall out.
Thanks for sharing..
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 May 25th 2014, 12:35 pm

70FB wrote:I took a few measurements and gave them to Keith and didn't have to trim,cut or anything. Piece was perfect. It was well worth the money instead of trying to mock something up and "fabricate" it myself. jus sayn
home made front plate - Page 2 325FA6AA-6A9C-416E-AC07-D5FD55366BAE_zps0n7vzfdx

Hey...thanks for the picture. Looks nice in there!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2