BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RV Tow Rig

+9
Treeyasoon
rmcomprandy
jbozzelle
D. Sea
Curt
56Tbird
KY JELLY
jasonf
dfree383
13 posters

Go down

RV Tow Rig - Page 2 Empty Re: RV Tow Rig

Post  jbozzelle October 12th 2011, 1:43 pm

A good friend of mine has an E350 Class C RV. 460, etc... He uses a trailer toad with it and it pulls his 32' enclosed just fine. Just don't try to back up with the trailer toad...!!! That's the only part that sucks about them. If you can't pull through you're screwed. Maybe the trailer toads with actual fullsize tires act differently, but I know his little tired toad doesn't cooperate well when he tried to back up.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird October 12th 2011, 2:24 pm

My toad has the small tires and it backs real well. You just have to lock it in before backing up.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 12th 2011, 3:01 pm

It'll back up. But it scrubs thetires bad due to the long overhang on the rv.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 12th 2011, 4:51 pm

A 42' gooseneck with lounge and sleeper ... Outfitted like a boat with a fresh water tank, shower, kitchen and head.
Pull it with a duelly F350 diesel.

That way you can drop the trailer and still use the truck for running around.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon October 12th 2011, 5:17 pm

I just bought an '87 Winnebago Class A 3 weeks ago. It is in great shape with 65K on it and it was cheap. However, it damn sure isn't ready to pull an enclosed trailer as far as the frame goes. I looked at a Trailer Toad but, they want as much for one of those as I paid for the RV. My plan is to put some bracing in under the rear to tie things together. I can do that much cheaper than a Toad would cost and probably would have to brace it some, even with a Toad.
Here is my plan....feel free to speak up if you have ideas.
RV Tow Rig - Page 2 Img111
RV Tow Rig - Page 2 Img112
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 October 12th 2011, 6:14 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:I just bought an '87 Winnebago Class A 3 weeks ago. It is in great shape with 65K on it and it was cheap. However, it damn sure isn't ready to pull an enclosed trailer as far as the frame goes. I looked at a Trailer Toad but, they want as much for one of those as I paid for the RV. My plan is to put some bracing in under the rear to tie things together. I can do that much cheaper than a Toad would cost and probably would have to brace it some, even with a Toad.

The bridge will work better if you use one long peace 2x2 and notch so you can bend it at the longest drop support and let that support weld to the top of the 2x2 then take some smaller tubing or flat bar and X brace in between the supports,a bridge support is only as strong as you build it.I would brace the frame good at the front of the bridge that is where the pressure will want to move to.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy October 12th 2011, 9:03 pm

Great thread !
Since I am currently looking for a class a rv with a 460, this thread is of interest to me.
I have been seeing some nice looking (in the pics) Class a's on craigslist around here for under $ 10,000. of course those listings don't last long tho.

I think I have narrowed it down to a 90-97 model.

Of course I believe this is prime rv buying season right now before everybody starts winterizing them.

I saw an ad for a 1991 Oskosh class a chassis with a 5.9 Cummins and an Allison trans, but he wants $ 15,000 for it. That 5.9 Cummins almost sounds like the perfect engine...almost.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 October 13th 2011, 1:25 am

Treeyasoon wrote:I just bought an '87 Winnebago Class A 3 weeks ago. It is in great shape with 65K on it and it was cheap. However, it damn sure isn't ready to pull an enclosed trailer as far as the frame goes. I looked at a Trailer Toad but, they want as much for one of those as I paid for the RV. My plan is to put some bracing in under the rear to tie things together. I can do that much cheaper than a Toad would cost and probably would have to brace it some, even with a Toad.

I would use 2x3 where you have the 2x2, make it all with 2x3 be much stronger. But that's just me Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 16th 2011, 9:39 am

Bump......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 16th 2011, 11:02 am

dfree383 wrote:Lets discuss using a RV as a tow rig.......

Whats the best set-up / Most Economical ?

What kind of mods need to be done?

Class A, C or ????

What models to look for?

Dave,W/the miles you drive all year,(and your money Razz ) I would buy a Class A diesel pusher for mpg and diesel longevity.jmo Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum