BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLOCKS? Eliminator or Motorsports

+3
Paul Kane
dfree383
powerstrokeace
7 posters

Go down

BLOCKS? Eliminator or Motorsports Empty BLOCKS? Eliminator or Motorsports

Post  powerstrokeace January 7th 2012, 10:47 am

Guy's looking to build a big motor and trying to see what the catches are. I'm wanting to build a 598-604 deal and the Motorsports block can only go to 4.600 bore! And the motor sport block would need a lot bored out to start off the at 4.600. A lot of shops charge by the amount to overbore from stock. Now the 4.600 is pretty much the end of the life of the block as well. I know some of you have gone 4.625 as well. Now the Eliminator starts out at 4.500 bore and would not cost as much to get to 4.600 and is all ready set up for roller cam bearings as the Motorsports block is not. Eliminator can go up to 4.700 bore if need be so there more life in this block as well. Then the lifter bushing that is part controversy as some live by them and some don't

What I don't know is how the final product is in terms of finished. Block height,crank alignment and so on. And I've heard just getting the Eliminator block some time is a problem itself. Any input would be great on this guy's

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

BLOCKS? Eliminator or Motorsports Empty Re: BLOCKS? Eliminator or Motorsports

Post  dfree383 January 7th 2012, 11:04 am

Plenty of A460 Blocks will go well over 4.600..... Its not the end !!!

I have several that will go 4.640 and still be with in Ford spec.

Eliminator stuff is nice, but I've never had an issue with a A460 Block.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane January 7th 2012, 12:51 pm

powerstrokeace wrote: Guy's looking to build a big motor and trying to see what the catches are. I'm wanting to build a 598-604 deal and the Motorsports block can only go to 4.600 bore! And the motor sport block would need a lot bored out to start off the at 4.600. A lot of shops charge by the amount to overbore from stock. Now the 4.600 is pretty much the end of the life of the block as well. I know some of you have gone 4.625 as well. Now the Eliminator starts out at 4.500 bore and would not cost as much to get to 4.600 and is all ready set up for roller cam bearings as the Motorsports block is not. Eliminator can go up to 4.700 bore if need be so there more life in this block as well. Then the lifter bushing that is part controversy as some live by them and some don't

What I don't know is how the final product is in terms of finished. Block height,crank alignment and so on. And I've heard just getting the Eliminator block some time is a problem itself. Any input would be great on this guy's

Ace
As is usually the case, it depends what your are building.

As far as 600 inches, I'd think you could go with either. The Eliminator blocks that start at 4.500" and have a 2.50" cam tunnel bore are $300-$600 more than the A460, so I'd think the cost of getting the A460 to 4.500" and boring its cam tunnel to 2.500" could be a wash or maybe just a hundred bucks difference one way or the other depending who does the work. Frankly, when one considers the cost of building a 600 inch engine I can't believe $400-$700 one way or the other is a concern, let alone just $100 either way when both blocks have the same 4.500/2.500 bore. You can pretty much take your pick between those two blocks.

Do you really want your build to have 4.700" bore if you're using a wedge-head which has its spark plug all the over to at the edge of the bore and must initate a burn that must propagate all the way cross in good time and without issue? Or are you using a head with a more centrally-located spark plug where long flame propagation distance will no longer be a concern at 4.700? In other words, should you be looking at 4.700" bores for larger than 600 CID or should you be looking at a tall deck and getting the at extra displacement via the stroke?

The high-end Eliminator blocks are quite nice and have their advantages over the A460 for certain builds. So do the various 11.200" block options. Regardless of manufacturer, Eliminator, Ford Racing, C&C, etc.....never mind the brand, it depends what you are building. geek

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 7th 2012, 1:17 pm

if the shop charge's by the amount bored, i would not go there!
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 7th 2012, 1:23 pm

FRPP will soon offer an A460 block with a 4.500" bore.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj January 7th 2012, 1:31 pm

As mentioned most A460 blocks can go more than 4.600" bore, that is just what FRPP guarantee's. Something to keep in mind is if you are buying custom pistons is no big deal to get a set .001, .002", or .003" over. Unless you really hurt a cylinder usually don't have to hone much out on a freshen up so it is possible to get a lot of life out of a block that is at 4.600".

I'd say the Eliminator blocks are nice in all the block options available.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder February 6th 2012, 6:43 am

Lem Evans wrote:FRPP will soon offer an A460 block with a 4.500" bore.

Are they changing the current A460 block or will Ford have a new offering? Will there be any other changes to it?

wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 6th 2012, 10:55 am

Same block just bored bigger...ready to hone to 4.5" or bore bigger yet.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace February 6th 2012, 1:13 pm

Any word when these come out?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 16th 2012, 6:24 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:Any word when these come out?

Ace

Late april I'm told.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down