BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations

5 posters

Go down

bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations  Empty bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations

Post  5pointslow January 8th 2012, 5:27 pm

im gonna sell my shortblock prob and use this ................

the block is a std bore d1ve block that a guy started the machine shop to build but then backed out

that has 4 bolt blue thunder caps ........he backed out before he orderd anything or had it align bored

its has a 1/4 fill of hardblock also .................my questions is say i go forged crank either 4.3 or 4.5 idk ( some say 4.5 the wrist pin comes almost out of the cylinder ) 14.5.1 compression and some p51s with a mafia intake and maybe an sv1 all motor the block should handle it right ????

all in all the guy at machine shop which is friend of family said i can have it for the labor he has into installing the caps 300$

id sell my ported doves and nitrous setup and use this setup ...........im also in the proccess of buying a house so the filling of the n20 bottles kinda sucks

thanks guys figd id share seemd to be a decent deal and it has the oiling mods already done
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations  Empty Re: bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations

Post  dfree383 January 8th 2012, 5:34 pm

For $300 its a steal.........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations  Empty Re: bought a block off the machine shop a guy backed out of , wondering my limitations

Post  5pointslow January 8th 2012, 5:41 pm

thought so, id be fine if i go forged crank keepin it n/a and keep rpms up to 7k no more should be reliable to 1000hp correct ? i see most p51 build all motor are putting down any were from 800-1000hp by the looks of it
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 8th 2012, 5:50 pm

I wouldn't call it "Reliable" to 1000hp..... but it should have a decent life expectancy.

And typicaly most of them over 900ish are using aftermarket blocks, with a few exceptions.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 8th 2012, 6:50 pm

hows that 4.3 vs 4.5 stroke in the d1ve block ???? that shit true that the wrist pin almost comes out of bottm of cylinder , id like to go 4.5 and get the cubes
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 8th 2012, 6:51 pm

but the 4.3might be less wer and tear on the block, rotating mass
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 8th 2012, 6:59 pm

Do a 4.5 with a 6.800 rod..... Everything will be fine...... Your not going to get a 100,000 miles out of it !!!

Have the block sonic checked and keep the bore size reasonable.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 8th 2012, 7:57 pm

maybe a 545 or 547 .030 over and .040 either one ................ thanks again dfree383 your knowledge is realy appreciated
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 8th 2012, 11:19 pm

I thought the D1Ve blocks had longer cylinders?

Ace

Last edited by powerstrokeace on January 9th 2012, 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d January 9th 2012, 12:20 am

Hopefully the d9 block with 4.5 stroke 6.8 rods and 30 over will work,THAT 'S my build should be 545,This is going to be a street motor keeping comp around 10 to 1. ANY thoughts on this
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 9th 2012, 12:24 am

powerstrokeace wrote:I thought the D1Ve blocks had longer cylinders? mine in the garage does.

Ace

The D9TE's have the longer cylinders and you can't swap in the earlier cranks with out grinding.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 9th 2012, 12:24 am

dave d wrote:Hopefully the d9 block with 4.5 stroke 6.8 rods and 30 over will work,THAT 'S my build should be 545,This is going to be a street motor keeping comp around 10 to 1. ANY thoughts on this

It will work fine, been done a whole lot.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d January 9th 2012, 12:37 am

Money's tight haven't work since july,trying to get hooked up with local well known school to do the 4 bolt conversion then line bore,all ready have the heads-trick flows 429-460,port-0-sonic,or edey torker 2. Have both Haven't decide on that one yet plus a demon 850. ANY guess on hp cams solid roller 700sh lift don't have numbers in front of me.Thanks Very Happy
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 9th 2012, 12:43 am

Have some one grind you up a street roller (Lem or Randy are both good sources amoung others here), don't go crazy with lift and keep the lash tight for street use.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d January 9th 2012, 12:47 am

Yea even thought about a hyd roller since it will spend most of it's life on the street with dozen or so passes on the track. Dave you still in the states up north or sand box
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 11th 2012, 8:39 pm

ya guys like the idea of a 4.3 with 6.8 rod or 4.5 with 6.8 rod ? high compression drag motor prob tear down at end of season and re do rings and bearings anyways
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 11th 2012, 8:43 pm

I like the idea of the engine with the 4.5 stroke being bigger.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down