BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mustang Build in California

5 posters

Go down

New Mustang Build in California Empty New Mustang Build in California

Post  Blue Blood January 28th 2012, 8:22 pm

Hello everyone, new to the site but not new to Mustangs.

My current project is a '68 Mustang FB that's been underway for about 1 year. Thought is was a really straight car when purchased, turned out to not even be close, so it's now sporting new floor pans, rear frame rails, rear quarter panels, tail panel, and roof. Rear suspension is now a Heidt's four link and the front will be a strut conversion using SN95 spindles, with coil-over on all four corners.

Now here's where I need a little help. I have the opportunity to purchase a complete 429 engine that is "supposed" to be rebuilt and balanced for $1,700, if this is all true, does this sound like a good value? Here are the casting numbers that the owner has provided:

Block DOVE - A
Heads DOVE - C
Intake DOVE 9425

Thanks your any help you can provide.

Blue Blood

Back to top Go down

New Mustang Build in California Empty Re: New Mustang Build in California

Post  Blue Blood January 29th 2012, 12:46 pm

Forgot to include that if this works out I'd probably swap out the intake, heads, and possibly the cam, and add long tube headers.

Thanks

Blue Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 29th 2012, 9:03 pm

i'd spend the $1700 on more cid.the dove-a block is good but if your gona swap the top end just get a block or even a 514-557 shortblock.JMO Very Happy post over in the engine tec,you'll get more lookers...............
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Blood January 31st 2012, 11:46 am

Still looking for help on the value of the existing motor, if I'm going to install new heads, intake, and possibly a cam, what's the rebuilt block assembly worth?

Blue Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 1st 2012, 4:05 am

If your going to change everything its not a great deal.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d February 2nd 2012, 11:19 am

dfree383 wrote:If your going to change everything its not a great deal.

x-2 if changing everything out ,you might as well just buy a short block to start with,bang for the buck bounce
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 2nd 2012, 12:14 pm

If the owner has documentation on the rebuild then maybe, some guys love the DOVE A block for builds if the rebuild is pretty fresh and was done with cast rebuilder pistons you could swap out the 429 crank for a 460 crank reuse the rods and install a set of forged pistons with a good hone job then have the heads ported and larger valves installed, upgrade the cam and intake and make a nice little performer. It's a little pricey as is but if the maching work is good and the overbore is a common oversize then it will come close to being a wash whether it would be better to start from scratch.

Upgrade to a 460 crank and buy a set of L2404F-?? pistons have them mounted on your rods and having the heads ported with larger valves and a cam and intake and carb you will probably be around $3500 starting with a unknown 460 block... cost will probably be around $4000.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down