BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A460 heads

+9
CHARLIEB
D. Sea
schmitty
c.evans
Lem Evans
665 falcon
bbf-falcon
bruno
557gt
13 posters

Go down

A460 heads - Page 2 Empty Re: A460 heads

Post  70FB December 14th 2012, 9:54 pm

c.evans wrote:IF, you are starting with a clean sheet of paper, and you are getting a new aftermarket block, new heads, pistons and more CID, etc.,,,then it is a golden opportunity to do something correctly. In your case, since you are spraying it 325 Hp, I would suggest that you go with the TFS A-460-18 bolt heads, as the additional head bolts create a better clamping force, thus in effect creating a better head gasket. Use Cometic gaskets. Then I would use the new style TFS intake manifold, drill and tap for your foggers or whatever. You can build a 598 that would be right at 1000 Hp naturally aspirated and add your spray from there. The new style TFS A-460 heads heads are very nice out of the box and user friendly.

Hope this helps,
Charlie
Me like!!!!!
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 December 15th 2012, 8:46 am

I agree with Charlie on the 18 bolt deal with spray.
If you can swing it, get the 360 cc port. We built a "budget" 638 for a customer with all used parts, and bolted on a new set of 340 CC Trick Flow A460s right out of the box. These were factory assembled heads. We took them apart just to inspect the valve job and guide clearance...lubed them up and bolted them on. We used an untouched Trick Flow single manifold with a nasty...nasty old Dominator of unknown heritage.
No vacuum pump...no crank trigger...just a very innocent looking wet sump, 4.75 stroke BBF. As I recall it made 990 HP at 6200 RPM and some ridiculous torque number (good) at way low...
I kind of figure that the factory ported "360s" or even better, some of Charlies ported A heads would have made lots more power, but at 6800 to 7200 or so.
It was a good example of port volume on a big engine. My 618 has 412 CC ports, and it pulls up to near 8 grand, still making good power.
Go big if you can...
Keith
PS..
If you go with the pre-owned 10 bolt setup, just be very critical about the head installation procedure, use a Cometic gasket from Lem (with his special holes..) A1 or ARP stud kit and be conservative with your timing setup when spraying...pull lots of timing out with the hose turned on. Lots of 10 bolts engines out there doing fine with proper assembly and tune.

CHARLIEB wrote:There are several trick flow 18 bolt heads for a 460 motor, which one would be the best for a 598 ci ?
The 340cc or the 360cc heads
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CHARLIEB December 15th 2012, 10:56 am

[quote="Wheelie58"]I agree with Charlie on the 18 bolt deal with spray.
If you can swing it, get the 360 cc port. We built a "budget" 638 for a customer with all used parts, and bolted on a new set of 340 CC Trick Flow A460s right out of the box. These were factory assembled heads. We took them apart just to inspect the valve job and guide clearance...lubed them up and bolted them on. We used an untouched Trick Flow single manifold with a nasty...nasty old Dominator of unknown heritage.
No vacuum pump...no crank trigger...just a very innocent looking wet sump, 4.75 stroke BBF. As I recall it made 990 HP at 6200 RPM and some ridiculous torque number (good) at way low...
I kind of figure that the factory ported "360s" or even better, some of Charlies ported A heads would have made lots more power, but at 6800 to 7200 or so.
It was a good example of port volume on a big engine. My 618 has 412 CC ports, and it pulls up to near 8 grand, still making good power.
Go big if you can...
Keith
PS..
If you go with the pre-owned 10 bolt setup, just be very critical about the head installation procedure, use a Cometic gasket from Lem (with his special holes..) A1 or ARP stud kit and be conservative with your timing setup when spraying...pull lots of timing out with the hose turned on. Lots of 10 bolts engines out there doing fine with proper assembly and tune.

Thank You for the great information Keith, I will be looking at the 360cc heads for my build, I will have ask charlie how much his heads will cost. I seen some at TEA for $3,799.95 flowing 463 on intake and 364 on exhuast @ 800 lift.

CHARLIEB
CHARLIEB

Back to top Go down

Post  fordpwr2000 December 19th 2012, 7:32 am

Has there been a new improved A-460 TFS intake developed? Just wondering if its worth upgrading, mine is 2005 vintage. Thanks Greg

fordpwr2000

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans December 19th 2012, 9:21 pm

fordpwr2000 wrote:Has there been a new improved A-460 TFS intake developed? Just wondering if its worth upgrading, mine is 2005 vintage. Thanks Greg
\

Greg,

No, not worth upgrading. You are still good to go. TFS has one of my welded single plane R&D intakes up there now doing some testing with it. (They've had it since September and I'm ready for it to come back) Rolling Eyes . When you are at 1000 - 1100 Hp any gains in horsepower are small incremental gains.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down