BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coated main and rod bearings

3 posters

Go down

Coated main and rod bearings Empty Coated main and rod bearings

Post  XEngr February 7th 2012, 10:14 am

Seems like the coated bearings have been on the market long enough now that there should be some real world experience. Each bearing manufacturer looks like they have a slightly different coating or application technology. Any advice out there on sources of bearings or preferred brands?

XEngr

Back to top Go down

Coated main and rod bearings Empty Re: Coated main and rod bearings

Post  Lem Evans February 7th 2012, 10:33 am

The Calico coatings are very good...i'm sure their are others that are too.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 8th 2012, 8:06 pm

As LivermoreLem replied of Calico, I too have experienced excellent service from Calico's coating. My applications are not high power units, but we do get two to three years service from an engine before we can afford to freshen it! The coating's appearance looks great at those (previously mentioned) intervals. I'm not educated of bearing life and should explain I'm absent of mind which works a bearing harder, engine power or engine cycles. Coated bearings are pricey. My suggestion is do your homework with an uncoated bearing that's agreeable with your application, then have it coated or seek coated versions of the same bearing. Calico's suggest their coating takes up about .0003" to .0004" of bearing shell thickness per set (2 halves).

JMO,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down