BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over sized wrist pin for 460?

Go down

Over sized wrist pin for 460? Empty Over sized wrist pin for 460?

Post  Mustang-junky February 10th 2012, 5:49 pm

I have been trying to find another piston to match the seven, standard bore, TRW 2443, forged, domed pistons I have. A forum member here had one that my machinist says looks usable but, the wrist pin bore is damaged. I knew this before I purchased the piston. He (my machinist) says I need a .005 over wrist pin. I can't find much on over sized wrist pins on the web. Could someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Over sized wrist pin for 460? Empty Re: Over sized wrist pin for 460?

Post  Mustang-junky February 19th 2012, 1:40 am

A little update. I brought the piston to another machine shop for a second opinion. He said that it looked like the piston pin bore could just be cleaned up and be OK, so I had him do it. He cleaned up the wrist pin bore and cleaned the aluminum off of the original pin I had, and charged me $10. I have to go pick it up Monday, looks like I may have a new machinist.

If I can't get the cash together for a set of aftermarket "I" beams and rebalance the motor, I may just put it together with some stock rods. The pistons weigh 728 grams, pins 166 grams, will the stock rods be good to up to 6500 every once and a while? Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down