500 inches on alcohol

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

500 inches on alcohol

Post  pullboy on February 20th 2012, 10:55 pm

What kind of hp is possible with the correct camshaft, set of kaase scj's on a stock block wet sump roller motor with 15.5 or 16:1 compression also would it be pushing the stock two bolt block to its limits plan on getting it four bolted also any good cap recommendations its for a 4 wheel drive pulling truck class states stock block 500 inch limit factory style heads. thanks pullboy

pullboy

Posts : 8
Join date : 2009-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  bbf-falcon on February 20th 2012, 11:28 pm

The stock blocks will stand a bunch of torture,hp, and displacement. But my personel experience and opinion IS. If you are planning on staying in this sport,the best money you can spend is the $2K for a good race block. jmo of course. Smile

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  racerk_2000 on February 20th 2012, 11:54 pm

I guess it would depend on how the rule is written. Does it say stock, factory, OEM ???
If your class requires a "Stock" block then look for a DOVE block and install 4 bolt or splayed caps.
If the rules say "Factory, or OEM" block, then it can be creatively interpreted. You might get away with an A-460 block. You could just say, "Hey, it's a Ford Factory block".


racerk_2000

Posts : 88
Join date : 2009-01-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  cool40 on February 20th 2012, 11:54 pm

a "D0VE"block with good caps will be your best choice for the stock block rule.rpm is what your looken for to make power with 500". Very Happy
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7163
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  bbf-falcon on February 21st 2012, 5:58 am

Sorry, I did'nt see the stock block rule. My Badd Embarassed

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  dfree383 on February 21st 2012, 7:54 am

an a 460 block has a Ford casting number that looks just like a factory one............Technicaly its a Factory OEM Block, do the rules state that it had to have been installed in a Car or Truck by the factory?

PS run it on Gas it will make more HP.......
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  richter69 on February 21st 2012, 9:31 am

dfree383 wrote:an a 460 block has a Ford casting number that looks just like a factory one............Technicaly its a Factory OEM Block, do the rules state that it had to have been installed in a Car or Truck by the factory?

PS run it on Gas it will make more HP.......


will it?????? that seems to be a big debate........... Idea Wink
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  schmitty on February 21st 2012, 9:19 pm

What kind of induction are you allowed to run, single 4 bbl, injection, dual quads? 500" deals are easy to do, and with that limit on the engine size and head style, you will have a screamer. Proper oiling, and a good valvetrain are going to be very necessary for it to live and that means Ti valves and the best rockers.
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  dfree383 on February 22nd 2012, 12:12 am

richter69 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:an a 460 block has a Ford casting number that looks just like a factory one............Technicaly its a Factory OEM Block, do the rules state that it had to have been installed in a Car or Truck by the factory?

PS run it on Gas it will make more HP.......


will it?????? that seems to be a big debate........... Idea Wink

Q16 to M5 thru a carb..... I'll take the Bet if you care to make it. pirat
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  pullboy on February 22nd 2012, 12:41 am

Theyn wont allow injection and if I use a tunnel ram i cant run in the street stock class but which one makes more power gas or alky?? HP tv says alcohol makes more power than gas in a 383 same motor same comp alky made more power which way should i go????single 4 bbl stock production block and heads what can we do to beat up the chevy's

pullboy

Posts : 8
Join date : 2009-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  richter69 on February 22nd 2012, 9:37 am

dfree383 wrote:
richter69 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:an a 460 block has a Ford casting number that looks just like a factory one............Technicaly its a Factory OEM Block, do the rules state that it had to have been installed in a Car or Truck by the factory?

PS run it on Gas it will make more HP.......


will it?????? that seems to be a big debate........... Idea Wink

Q16 to M5 thru a carb..... I'll take the Bet if you care to make it. pirat

I'm game, you can even leave the exotics out if you want, plain meth to plain gas................hp and tq numbers averaged.....cant leave out the tq. Wink
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  richter69 on February 22nd 2012, 9:40 am

pullboy wrote:Theyn wont allow injection and if I use a tunnel ram i cant run in the street stock class but which one makes more power gas or alky?? HP tv says alcohol makes more power than gas in a 383 same motor same comp alky made more power which way should i go????single 4 bbl stock production block and heads what can we do to beat up the chevy's


I dunno about a pullin truck, but in OK alky gets the car down the track faster in every application myself or others have put it on.............you realize this thread will take off now, wait till KY Jelly gets in here lol.

Aint much love for for us alky guys, but who needs it when your fast........... Twisted Evil
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  pullboy on February 22nd 2012, 1:46 pm

Long as its abusin bowties it dont matter what it runs on I'm just curious as to which one will be the best road to take for gobs of torque and HP

pullboy

Posts : 8
Join date : 2009-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  KY JELLY on February 22nd 2012, 4:12 pm

I will not participate in a class that will not allow injected methanol or nitromethane in any % I see necessary to get the job done lol!
I reserve the right to use Q16 if I want to though Shocked


avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  56Tbird on February 22nd 2012, 4:17 pm

The fastest dyno's in town run on Q16 Laughing
avatar
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5255
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 59
Location : Hawesville,Ky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  KY JELLY on February 22nd 2012, 4:26 pm

Yea but truck pullin works more like a dyno than drag racing .
avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  56Tbird on February 22nd 2012, 4:27 pm

Ok ,Q16 it is then!! Thank you Mr.February Laughing
avatar
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5255
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 59
Location : Hawesville,Ky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  rmcomprandy on February 22nd 2012, 4:29 pm

pullboy wrote:Theyn wont allow injection and if I use a tunnel ram i cant run in the street stock class but which one makes more power gas or alky?? HP tv says alcohol makes more power than gas in a 383 same motor same comp alky made more power which way should i go????single 4 bbl stock production block and heads what can we do to beat up the chevy's

It's not THAT simple.
How much fuel you NEED to pass through a single carb will be a lot dependent upon the size of the carb and the total amount oif fuel you need to make the specific horsepower.
If you run methanol LEAN then it hasn't got a chance up against Q16 in a horsepower race. When the horsepower gets up in the higher ranges, you can't get enough methanol; to pass through one carb unless you make the carb total air cfm less.

In short ... the higher the power level, the more difficult it is to get enough methanol through ONE carb in order to extract the power.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5093
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  KY JELLY on February 22nd 2012, 4:30 pm

I did not say that , never paint yourself into a corner mr Hobbs lol!
avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  56Tbird on February 22nd 2012, 4:31 pm

I know how to paint JY Kelly Razz
avatar
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5255
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 59
Location : Hawesville,Ky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  bruno on February 22nd 2012, 5:01 pm

KY JELLY wrote:Yea but truck pullin works more like a dyno than drag racing .

are you serious scratch
avatar
bruno
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10615
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 45
Location : MILLBROOK , AL.

View user profile http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  KY JELLY on February 22nd 2012, 5:29 pm

Yes sir you got xxx horsepower and it takes just a little bit to get the sled moving and a little bit of traction , if the weight was on the front of the sled at the begining it would be like applying the water brake full tilt on an engine at idle on a dyno .

There is a lot more to it than that , but you do not shift and you want wheel speed and maximum momentum and horsepower as soon as possible . Gas shines on the horsepower end simply because it burns faster and more efficiently at high rpm.
avatar
KY JELLY

Posts : 1530
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  Lem Evans on February 22nd 2012, 6:46 pm

KY JELLY wrote:Yes sir you got xxx horsepower and it takes just a little bit to get the sled moving and a little bit of traction , if the weight was on the front of the sled at the begining it would be like applying the water brake full tilt on an engine at idle on a dyno .

There is a lot more to it than that , but you do not shift and you want wheel speed and maximum momentum and horsepower as soon as possible . Gas shines on the horsepower end simply because it burns faster and more efficiently at high rpm.

It's the never ending struggle...finding a fuel that is not only efficient but popular also. Wink

Lem Evans

Posts : 7106
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  richter69 on February 22nd 2012, 7:43 pm

it ain't a popularity contest......... Laughing If cow piss made more power than gas or meth I'd run it.......and not give a damn what other though about it lol.
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 500 inches on alcohol

Post  Lem Evans on February 22nd 2012, 8:38 pm

I guess you missed KY's post about how 'popular' methanol was.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7106
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum