JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  dr's wife racing on February 24th 2012, 2:26 pm

Has anyone had problems with the new one's? I have a new bell and wheel,both new from JW. I put it on for a test fit converter spacing ect. out side the car.The spacing checked good but when I went to turn the motor over to check for rubs ect it would not turn.I almost CROAKED because it is on the 521 crate motor I bought on here a while back and I had not turned it.Any way I removed the tans and bell,there is a place around the bottom where the Fly wheel is digging into the bellhouseing.There was some machining that was done on the bell in that area there but it was not close to correct. Nothing you can't fix with a die grinder but this stuff isn't cheap seems it should fit out of the box.
Then I started lookig the bell has a much rougher finish than my older one.The fly wheel is not as heavy built as the older one's.I have a bent one that I could use for direct compairson. Just woundering if any of you had seen any thing like this or is this some kind of fluke.
I have not contacted JW yet going to take a closer look at it tonight and make up my mind what to do.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1655
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  DanH on February 24th 2012, 2:34 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Has anyone had problems with the new one's? I have a new bell and wheel,both new from JW. I put it on for a test fit converter spacing ect. out side the car.The spacing checked good but when I went to turn the motor over to check for rubs ect it would not turn.I almost CROAKED because it is on the 521 crate motor I bought on here a while back and I had not turned it.Any way I removed the tans and bell,there is a place around the bottom where the Fly wheel is digging into the bellhouseing.There was some machining that was done on the bell in that area there but it was not close to correct. Nothing you can't fix with a die grinder but this stuff isn't cheap seems it should fit out of the box.
Then I started lookig the bell has a much rougher finish than my older one.The fly wheel is not as heavy built as the older one's.I have a bent one that I could use for direct compairson. Just woundering if any of you had seen any thing like this or is this some kind of fluke.
I have not contacted JW yet going to take a closer look at it tonight and make up my mind what to do.
"around the bootom" JW bells are now 360* around the flywheel ?

DanH

Posts : 1081
Join date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  dr's wife racing on February 24th 2012, 3:20 pm

Dan they still have the oblong cutout at the very bottom.The area I have the problem in is between the cut out and the starter.Prob. about a 4 inch area.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1655
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  D. Sea on February 24th 2012, 4:18 pm

Casting defect? See if you can post some pictures for us...

D. Sea
D. Sea

Posts : 2768
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Kentucky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  Barney on February 24th 2012, 4:58 pm

I've found very little fits out of the box, and has to have a little love.
Barney
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 44
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  IDT-572 on February 24th 2012, 5:22 pm

Barney wrote:I've found very little fits out of the box, and has to have a little love.

X10 Rolling Eyes
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4624
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 58
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  Race Ready Fabrications on February 24th 2012, 6:11 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
Barney wrote:I've found very little fits out of the box, and has to have a little love.

X10 Rolling Eyes

I pulled mine out of the box and cut my hand open on one of the sharp edges they neglected to deburr. And go ahead a strip the threads in the starter holes and put heli coils in Rolling Eyes
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Posts : 619
Join date : 2010-04-19
Age : 39
Location : Chandler, IN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  richter69 on February 24th 2012, 6:39 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
Barney wrote:I've found very little fits out of the box, and has to have a little love.

X10 Rolling Eyes

I pulled mine out of the box and cut my hand open on one of the sharp edges they neglected to deburr. And go ahead a strip the threads in the starter holes and put heli coils in Rolling Eyes


all the tranny case molds Ford uses must have razor blade imprints in them...........you will get sliced up without gloves I promise


My used UB was already loved on so it fit just fine.................
richter69
richter69

Posts : 13649
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  cool40 on February 24th 2012, 9:38 pm

yall can love on the junk all you wont,i'd send it back! i cant say enough about the REID case pg i got,its one nice chunk of aluminum. Laughing the "take what you get" idea is why everything has turned to shit.JMO Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7214
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 48
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  bcr466 on February 24th 2012, 9:42 pm

Mine had threads where it was not supposed to be, plus they were drilled for a 3/8 size not 7/16, starter would not line up/engage right, had to slot holes and use factory starter locater plate, holes for dowels were threaded.
And the converter adapter bushing had to be modified heavily. This setup also had a vibration. After 27 passes the case broke at the flashing line around rear clutch area, this case was the same as I had used for years just cut bell off. So, I thought it must be the case. Sawed another case, replaced internals, ran 30 passes and broke in the same place. Changed back to the old TCI adapther plate with yet another case, no vibration, 100+ passes with no breakage. I purchased the complete kit from Steve Oldanni new.

Ward most if not all the passes you saw my car make had the plate. Be sure to check the runout of flexplate. It may not be true centered
bcr466
bcr466

Posts : 263
Join date : 2009-08-09
Age : 71
Location : Saltillo/Tupelo, Miss.

View user profile http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  chuck on February 24th 2012, 10:25 pm

I had the same trouble with an older jw bell, I got it used so I put a flapper wheel to it. If it was new I'd send it back. I have ATI now, alot better quality. RIED is also nice.

chuck

Posts : 414
Join date : 2009-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  dr's wife racing on February 25th 2012, 6:47 pm

Too late for photo's. I went ahead and cut it with a grinder to clear the fly wheel.I understand things don't always fit out of the box but a bell housing?? that's messed up.I think by most of the response Iya'll have answered my question.Next time I'll do something besides jw.I've heard alot of good things about reid.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1655
Join date : 2009-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  jbozzelle on February 26th 2012, 1:02 pm

My new JW I had years ago looked bad compared to the older used one I had. Looked like they made the castings thicker for some reason...

I now have an ATI case and bell and they are both much lighter and fit perfect with no problems. The case uses an internal liner though...

jbozzelle

Posts : 3686
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 45
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty JW bells

Post  carlthomasd on July 4th 2012, 7:10 pm

this is Carl Thomas from Jasper Tn. I bought a new jw bell to power glide it has ate up 4 flex plates and 6 starters.
I sent the bell back to jw they admitted the bell was a little off but they wont make it up. they had me to send
my new flex plate to them witch I got from them. they were going to cut the teeth off and move them out .045
this is not fixing the problem this is making it worse be cause starter teeth would not match any more. I told them just send my flex plate back to me just like it was the problem was the bell. I am getting another bell some other
place so good luck with your case. I glade that I am not the only one with this problem . so good luck

carlthomasd

Posts : 20
Join date : 2011-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  56Tbird on July 5th 2012, 6:30 am

Keown's in the black truck got one like that. The bell itself was machined off center the best I remember .JW replaced it .
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5255
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 60
Location : Hawesville,Ky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  Doug Rahn on July 5th 2012, 7:18 am

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I honestly can't say anything bad about JW's products (knock on wood)! But I bought my Ultraglide and flexplate from them back in Nov. 2003, took the car to the track for the first time in May of 2009. Since then we have probably made about 75 or 80 passes at the track with zero problems on the transmission, flexplate, and the same starter since day one.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1680
Join date : 2009-08-07
Age : 68
Location : Springfield, GA

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  soupbean on July 5th 2012, 10:01 pm

cool40 wrote:yall can love on the junk all you wont,i'd send it back! i cant say enough about the REID case pg i got,its one nice chunk of aluminum. Laughing the "take what you get" idea is why everything has turned to shit.JMO Very Happy

I have to agree! I had the JW on my stock case deal. The Reid is much better quality and design!!!

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Trans
soupbean
soupbean

Posts : 637
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 40
Location : Gainesville, Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Empty Re: JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel

Post  cool40 on July 5th 2012, 10:46 pm

soupbean wrote:
cool40 wrote:yall can love on the junk all you wont,i'd send it back! i cant say enough about the REID case pg i got,its one nice chunk of aluminum. Laughing the "take what you get" idea is why everything has turned to shit.JMO Very Happy

I have to agree! I had the JW on my stock case deal. The Reid is much better quality and design!!!

JW Ultrabell/Ultra Wheel Trans
aint it! Wink
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7214
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 48
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum