BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do i need to hook up a starter relay

+3
83-88T-Bird Guy
richter69
bigdaddy198
7 posters

Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty Do i need to hook up a starter relay

Post  bigdaddy198 March 28th 2012, 11:09 pm

I am converting my ignition to a moroso 5 toggle switch panel and 1 starter button do i need to wire up a relay switch for this i already have the solenoid wired up but when i am turning it over its not producing spark until i let off the button or do i need to run anther full time 12volt wire to the coil thanks

bigdaddy198

Back to top Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty Re: Do i need to hook up a starter relay

Post  richter69 March 28th 2012, 11:13 pm

what starter are you using?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty Starter

Post  bigdaddy198 March 28th 2012, 11:15 pm

Its a stock ford starter on the 460

bigdaddy198

Back to top Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty Re: Do i need to hook up a starter relay

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy March 29th 2012, 10:07 am

Sounds like you need a toggle switch dedicated to your coil + 12v only.
I assume your starter solonoid switch on your Moroso setup is spring loaded and only sends 12v when you press down ?

Now, if you are running a 1993-1997 460 mini starter, then you might want to read this thread on how to wire up the solonoid (on the 2nd page there is an explanation that Lem posted)

https://www.429-460.com/t10079-starter-wont-disengage?highlight=starter
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty I will check all my wires but!!!

Post  bigdaddy198 March 29th 2012, 9:18 pm

My problem is not that my starter wont disengage but when i flip my toggle switch that puts power to my msd 6al box when i hit my starter button i lose power to the coil its all wired correctly but while i hold the starter button i lose all spark but when i let off the last little bit that it spins the power resumes and it will startt i am just stumped that while its turning over it loses power to the coil from the msd box but as i let off the button it comes back and starts do i need a second positive wire to the coil maybe even a ballast resistor i just dont know

bigdaddy198

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T March 29th 2012, 10:50 pm

hopefully you are useing the rubber isolators that came with the msd box?even if you are make sure the box is not touching any metal around it.

and check to see if you may have the 2 small wires on the solinoid crossed?
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace March 30th 2012, 12:48 am

I Have starter relay's on both of my dragster..
Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit March 30th 2012, 1:31 am

There is no reason for a relay...
sounds like the pickup coil, or msd box issue... Do you have a ground wire going to the body and to the engine?
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 30th 2012, 7:15 am

83-88T-Bird Guy wrote:Sounds like you need a toggle switch dedicated to your coil + 12v only.

As has been said and it seems obvious, the starter button wiring is interfering with the flow of current to the ignition switch and possibly other switches. Use a test light or make a test bulb, disconnect the starter and perform the action of depressing the starter button while watching the test tool. Like Mr.T-Bird replied, use a dedicated 12 volt (tested) source for the ignition switch and install a breaker or fuse between the source and switch. This voltage supply should be separate from voltage suppling the starter switch. In fact, the starter switch should ONLY be wired to the starter solenoid to simply activate the solenoid switch, with the solenoid handling the amperage load to activate the starter.

On another note, IMO, every wiring circuit should have a fuse or breaker protecting it, and relays are very nice to assist in switching items that require an above normal amount of amperage.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Do i need to hook up a starter relay Empty Thanks now i have something to go by

Post  bigdaddy198 March 30th 2012, 8:06 am

I hope when i get to it this weekend i have a empty switch on my panel i will hook up my msd to that switch i have all the switch are fused so with what i have to go by maybe i will git ur done thanks for the ideas guys i really appreciate it Suspect

bigdaddy198

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down