Is it possible?

Go down

Is it possible?

Post  fordpullin on April 8th 2012, 9:00 pm

I know this is a Big Block Ford forum and that is what I have in my pulling truck. A few guys I pull with are "talking" hp numbers and I know there are a lot of very smart engine builders on this site and I just want some opinions from the best. Very Happy

With the following engine rules is it possible to make 900+ hp with a Big Block Chevy Shocked

505 cubic inch limit with 1% allowance
Must be factory production style block, no aftermarket blocks allowed
4.500 maximum bore size
No Aluminum blocks or heads allowed
No Rocker arm ratio greater than 1.7
No Jesel or similar style shaft rocker systems allowed unless they come from factory with shaft rockers (for example - Chrysler)
No belt drive timing systems allowed
Must run 4150 carb on gas (same carb rules as 6300 class)
must run 4150 style intake, no 4500 base intakes allowed
Intake spacers will be limited to 3 inches total from base of intake to the carb.
Must run standard racing gas - no additives or oxygenated fuel allowed.
Electric fuel pumps and regulators will be allowed.
No vaccum pumps or external oil pumps allowed
No kicked out style oil pans allowed
MSD boxes will be allowed, but may be no larger than a 6AL
No nitrous or nitrous accessories allowed on any part of truck
Motor must be in stock location
No Hemi or Hemi style heads, no Ex 514, A460 TFS heads, or any other type of cast iron heads that does not accept a stock manufactured intake manifold without the use of spacers, shims, or wedges used to adapt manifold. No fuel injection.

Any input is very appreciated.

Thanks
avatar
fordpullin

Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Central VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  rmcomprandy on April 8th 2012, 9:08 pm

YES ...but, not easily. It WILL be expensive and will rev high.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5127
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  fordpullin on April 8th 2012, 9:13 pm

I'm sure the motors were very expensive and they turn about 8k to 8200 rpms.
avatar
fordpullin

Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Central VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  Barney on April 8th 2012, 9:16 pm

I would agree with Randy. I've never seen it with those limitations.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  mudtrucker on April 8th 2012, 9:34 pm

fordpullin wrote:I'm sure the motors were very expensive and they turn about 8k to 8200 rpms.
There was a post on here some time ago about a iron cj headed deal in that hp range and I'm thinking it was more like 9000+rpm.
avatar
mudtrucker

Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-11-18
Location : Lancaster,Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  cool40 on April 8th 2012, 10:12 pm

my neighbors have a 470cid iron heads but the block is aftermarket tall deck.its not been on a dyno but he does run with the top in his class sometimes,88-9000rpm Shocked
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7165
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  schmitty on April 8th 2012, 11:35 pm

The stock block is going to be a real limitation on this deal, along with the carb. Bret Powell is near that level with his 470" deal, but it is an A460 block, with a huge Dominator carb, and an intake and heads that are highly modified. An engine to make that power with these limitations is going to be very expensive to say the least.
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  Barney on April 8th 2012, 11:38 pm

Anything is possible I suppose, but as has been said there would be some magic going on somewhere.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  dfree383 on April 9th 2012, 12:03 am

I say it can be done, Texas Prostock, Minus the Dominator, Jesels and Dry Sump.

avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  rmcomprandy on April 9th 2012, 10:50 am

schmitty wrote:The stock block is going to be a real limitation on this deal, along with the carb. Bret Powell is near that level with his 470" deal, but it is an A460 block, with a huge Dominator carb, and an intake and heads that are highly modified. An engine to make that power with these limitations is going to be very expensive to say the least.

The stock production block 502 Chevrolet has a bore of 4.466" and they have several aftermarket IRON heads using stock INTAKE port and valve locations which have much larger, higher flowing ports than any Ford CJ head could get to.
If a FORD couldn't find the old BT iron heads it would be at a great disadvantage to the Chevrolets.

I have taken parts out of the box with bowl porting and a bit of SHINE work and built 540 Chevrolets with just over 900 horsepower. You are simply talking about 40 less cubic inches here.

Not that you can't be competitive with a FORD under these rules but, it would certainly be a lot more difficult.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5127
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  kjett on April 9th 2012, 1:51 pm

I gotta agree with Randy. Must be a chevy loving track to make those rules. Guess them boys got tired of getting their azzes handed to them by BBFs so they changed and manipulated the rules enough to allow very limited competition from the non chevy crowd.
avatar
kjett

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  fordpullin on April 9th 2012, 8:43 pm

kjett wrote:I gotta agree with Randy. Must be a chevy loving track to make those rules. Guess them boys got tired of getting their azzes handed to them by BBFs so they changed and manipulated the rules enough to allow very limited competition from the non chevy crowd.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Greatly appreciated Very Happy
avatar
fordpullin

Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-01-28
Age : 35
Location : Central VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  schmitty on April 9th 2012, 9:29 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
schmitty wrote:The stock block is going to be a real limitation on this deal, along with the carb. Bret Powell is near that level with his 470" deal, but it is an A460 block, with a huge Dominator carb, and an intake and heads that are highly modified. An engine to make that power with these limitations is going to be very expensive to say the least.

The stock production block 502 Chevrolet has a bore of 4.466" and they have several aftermarket IRON heads using stock INTAKE port and valve locations which have much larger, higher flowing ports than any Ford CJ head could get to.
If a FORD couldn't find the old BT iron heads it would be at a great disadvantage to the Chevrolets.

I have taken parts out of the box with bowl porting and a bit of SHINE work and built 540 Chevrolets with just over 900 horsepower. You are simply talking about 40 less cubic inches here.

Not that you can't be competitive with a FORD under these rules but, it would certainly be a lot more difficult.
I missed that "Chevy" part of the question. Embarassed I am quite sure that a chevy would be able to do it with the amount of aftermarket heads available to them. I like it that they left out any option other than the ultra rare BT head for the Ford. Definate brand specific class here. Evil or Very Mad
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  bbf-falcon on April 10th 2012, 10:26 pm

I will say this. With those limitations,if it happens it WILL be a job VERY WELL DONE indeed.Smile

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  crittersf1 on April 12th 2012, 1:37 am

Hard to do when you can't even run stock rocker ratio.
avatar
crittersf1

Posts : 521
Join date : 2009-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  dfree383 on April 12th 2012, 2:01 am

crittersf1 wrote:Hard to do when you can't even run stock rocker ratio.

Not a big handicap IMO....
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14151
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  bigblok2000ranger on April 12th 2012, 8:33 am

fordpullin wrote:I know this is a Big Block Ford forum and that is what I have in my pulling truck. A few guys I pull with are "talking" hp numbers and I know there are a lot of very smart engine builders on this site and I just want some opinions from the best. Very Happy

With the following engine rules is it possible to make 900+ hp with a Big Block Chevy Shocked

505 cubic inch limit with 1% allowance
Must be factory production style block, no aftermarket blocks allowed
4.500 maximum bore size
No Aluminum blocks or heads allowed
No Rocker arm ratio greater than 1.7
No Jesel or similar style shaft rocker systems allowed unless they come from factory with shaft rockers (for example - Chrysler)
No belt drive timing systems allowed
Must run 4150 carb on gas (same carb rules as 6300 class)
must run 4150 style intake, no 4500 base intakes allowed
Intake spacers will be limited to 3 inches total from base of intake to the carb.
Must run standard racing gas - no additives or oxygenated fuel allowed.
Electric fuel pumps and regulators will be allowed.
No vaccum pumps or external oil pumps allowed
No kicked out style oil pans allowed
MSD boxes will be allowed, but may be no larger than a 6AL
No nitrous or nitrous accessories allowed on any part of truck
Motor must be in stock location
No Hemi or Hemi style heads, no Ex 514, A460 TFS heads, or any other type of cast iron heads that does not accept a stock manufactured intake manifold without the use of spacers, shims, or wedges used to adapt manifold. No fuel injection.

Any input is very appreciated.

Thanks

That class is tailor made for a bigblock chevy.
avatar
bigblok2000ranger

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2010-04-07
Age : 39
Location : Beloit,WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  rmcomprandy on April 12th 2012, 9:46 am

crittersf1 wrote:Hard to do when you can't even run stock rocker ratio.

That tells everyone about the mindset of the rules makers ... Chevy, Chevy, Chevy and didn't even acknowledge that others may even exist in O.E.M. production.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5127
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it possible?

Post  466cj on April 12th 2012, 12:18 pm

Surprised they did not add a "No bore spacing greater than 4.84"" rule.

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum