wrist pin snap rings

Go down

wrist pin snap rings

Post  cooter on April 13th 2012, 10:17 pm

when installing wrist pin snap rings does it really matter where the open end faces? Are the snap rings as good as the spiral rings? I always face the opening up or down but if it faces sideways will they come out?

cooter

Posts : 220
Join date : 2010-07-01
Location : Edmonton Alberta Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  rmcomprandy on April 13th 2012, 11:24 pm

Some people claim they can and do sometimes chafe the groove badly.
Personally, I have never seen them come out in any orientation; and that includes motorcycles and snowmobiles.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  mudtrucker on April 14th 2012, 8:58 am

The guy that did my machine work looked at me like I was stupid when I asked him about using spirolox instead of the snap rings,"why would you want to do that he said". As far as positioning he said one up,one down and the square side of the clip to the outside(rounded sides should be touching each other).














i
avatar
mudtrucker

Posts : 158
Join date : 2009-11-18
Location : Lancaster,Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  cooter on April 14th 2012, 8:48 pm

thanx for the help, ive always used spirals so i want to make sure i am not missing anything.

cooter

Posts : 220
Join date : 2010-07-01
Location : Edmonton Alberta Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  69F100 on April 15th 2012, 7:53 pm

mudtrucker wrote:The guy that did my machine work looked at me like I was stupid when I asked him about using spirolox instead of the snap rings,"why would you want to do that he said". As far as positioning he said one up,one down and the square side of the clip to the outside(rounded sides should be touching each other.

As far as positioning as mudtrucker said the sqaure side should be againt the outside of the part it is holding and the rounded side againt the part the square part is to help it hold in the groove as the part sometimes try to push the clip out, as the rounded part against the part help when stalling them. Some times it is hard to tell the square side from the rounded side I take the ring and pull it across my pom to find the the square side as it will drag aliitle more than the rounded side.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5148
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  cooter on April 15th 2012, 10:21 pm

im gonna have to remove a c clip, i didnt see a flat side when i put them in. they came with my MAHLE pistons

cooter

Posts : 220
Join date : 2010-07-01
Location : Edmonton Alberta Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  Mark O'Neal on April 16th 2012, 12:55 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Some people claim they can and do sometimes chafe the groove badly.
Personally, I have never seen them come out in any orientation; and that includes motorcycles and snowmobiles.

I've seen both snap rings ans spiral locks come out.

In their defense, they were never in there right to begin with... Very Happy

Mark O'Neal

Posts : 184
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrist pin snap rings

Post  Mark O'Neal on April 16th 2012, 12:56 pm

cooter wrote:im gonna have to remove a c clip, i didnt see a flat side when i put them in. they came with my MAHLE pistons


Germans do strange things..which, oddly enough, is the same thing they say about us.

Mark O'Neal

Posts : 184
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum