BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PUSH RODS CHEWED UP?.

+10
steve1071
jbozzelle
DILLIGASDAVE
c.evans
Doug Rahn
56Tbird
bbf-falcon
dfree383
cool40
powerstrokeace
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PUSH RODS CHEWED UP?. - Page 2 Empty Re: PUSH RODS CHEWED UP?.

Post  jbozzelle May 1st 2012, 12:29 am

We all make mistakes every now and then. Good thing you tore into it before it ate itself up...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  steve1071 May 1st 2012, 9:36 am

you said that you didnt think this was because of lack of oil,but the oil comes from that little hole in the lifter? I had some crower lifters that only had one hole ,they needed a small flat spot put on the area under the hole to get a little more oil.( .001)

steve1071

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 1st 2012, 9:59 am

steve1071 wrote:you said that you didnt think this was because of lack of oil,but the oil comes from that little hole in the lifter? I had some crower lifters that only had one hole ,they needed a small flat spot put on the area under the hole to get a little more oil.( .001)
X2.....the last set of Crower lifters I installed they [Crower] had machined a very small groove from the oil ban to the feed hole......unlike the Crowers I had to take a drimel to years ago [Doug Rahn's A460 engine].

Ace, you don't want the feed hole turned directly to the oil gallery.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  steve1071 May 1st 2012, 10:58 am

I"m not so sure they are installed wrong ?

steve1071

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 1st 2012, 11:54 am

Lem Evans wrote:
steve1071 wrote:you said that you didnt think this was because of lack of oil,but the oil comes from that little hole in the lifter? I had some crower lifters that only had one hole ,they needed a small flat spot put on the area under the hole to get a little more oil.( .001)
X2.....the last set of Crower lifters I installed they [Crower] had machined a very small groove from the oil ban to the feed hole......unlike the Crowers I had to take a drimel to years ago [Doug Rahn's A460 engine].

Ace, you don't want the feed hole turned directly to the oil gallery.

Lem
When I took the motor apart I sent the lifters back to Lunati to be rebuild. They lost them. So I was given a deal to buy a new set direct from them. What a I have now is the new (MOREL) lifters which are different and have only one hole. Lunati did find the set I sent back and rebuilt them and sent back for 1/2 the cost but stated that these are the older (Lunati Built) lifters and will no longer be able to rebuild them. Any way these have a slot on them from the oil holes to the oil passage in the block M(Most likely from the builder). These were facing toward the center of the motor when we took it apart. If I could figure out how to post picture I would.

Lem I can't call you because I broke my cell phone....

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 1st 2012, 12:47 pm

I run Morel lifters with my Comp cam and have zero issues.............it aint light on spring pressure either. If the lifters dont have enough clearance in the lifter bore it can affect the oiling with those style.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 1st 2012, 1:33 pm

if you turn that hole in the lifter out,in line with the oil port in the block,you'll have a flood of oil on top and a drop in oil psi.i've had to cut lifters to get oil on top before,some just the left bank,but it will all depend on "where" the hole in the lifter is at.my first solid roller took longer to get oil to the rockers than i liked but it did'nt chew up anything.another thing that you need to think about is any restrictor that may or may not be in the block.if it's got one and its small you may have trouble get'n it worked out.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 2nd 2012, 10:42 pm

OK I had to slot the hole to the oil band area to get oil to the top end. Man this sucks. The original lifters were like this but I didn't have them at the time of the build because Lunati miss placed them. Sure would have saved a lot of problems for me.

Now I need to Find a good converter to try for a PRO TREE DEAL...

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 9th 2012, 12:40 am

Updates?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 9th 2012, 8:26 am

I'll be getting the push rod today and getting it back together tonight. I installed my spare converter from my 514 combo to see what this will do. I must say I'm a firm believer in the JOMAR filter now. I cut this thing open and seen all the trash from the push rods. During the down time I pulled the motor as well and checked on some oil leaks that were not visible with the engine diaper on. One being the one piece oil pan gasket. This oil pan is old and repaired and tweaked so I don't blame the one piece gasket. I checked the rods and mains and they look good. No trash

Like I stated I didn't slot a feed passage like the old lifters and now this will cure the problem. I've primed the motor with out the push rods and there plenty of oil now.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  steve1071 May 9th 2012, 11:47 am

I hope you didnt make too big of a trough,or it will fill the valve covers with oil .

steve1071

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 9th 2012, 10:46 pm

DAM!!! I need some new glasses. Was rechecking the lifters and came across the one that was in the number one cylinder and found it cracked and loose! **%@(&%#&&@!!!! Evil or Very Mad $ I just had the motor out and check the bottom end and never even looked at the cam. There is some marring on the intake lobe and I now need to figure out if it should come out before any thing else is done. 19 passes and a failed lifter. This is BULL Sh*T. Evil or Very Mad

So is it the metal from the lifter thats on the face of the cam? I really can't feel it with my finger nail from reaching in the cylinder No
I have no problem having Lem get another cam ASAP we have a race next weekend and really need to get this thing back together Right

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 9th 2012, 10:55 pm

pale hate to hear it. if your not sure about the cam,get another one.JMO
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 10th 2012, 6:37 am

X2 Get another cam, not worth wreckin g a motor over.

You can have that one repaired later.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 10th 2012, 8:08 am

I'll be calling Comp with in the hour! and Lunati to see if there's anything they'll do since there lifter failed

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 10th 2012, 8:13 am

I realizy your a little peturbed..... But its racing, it happens.......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR May 10th 2012, 7:39 pm

http://www.dragzine.com/news/new-products/trend-performance-introduces-first-hard-tip-self-lubricating-pushrod/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=trend-performance-introduces-first-hard-tip-self-lubricating-pushrod

These may help..

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 16th 2012, 12:08 pm

Ok just an update. After looking over the. Lifters I found one that was cracked on the wheel. Causing
Minor damage to the cam. It being me I odered a cam and put that in with the older rebuilt lifter and. with push rods as well. The cam is good just needs to be polished out but I didn't want to take any chances. So everything is back together with a convert change to see if we can get some better reaction times. We have our first race this Saturday and a test session Friday. The roller lifter that failed is not due to the oiling problem to the push rods. So I contacted Lunati in this matter do to them losing my lifter that were sent. back originally to be rebuilt and then losing them and then finding them after purchasing a new set. That's another story

Ace

Last edited by powerstrokeace on May 20th 2012, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling corrections)
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace May 16th 2012, 12:11 pm

BOY! These I phone things suck........ Trying to post you would think I drunk!!!!!
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 16th 2012, 12:15 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:BOY! These I phone things suck........ Trying to post you would think I drunk!!!!!
Get an iPad it's a lot better.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace June 3rd 2012, 11:24 am

Ok here's an update.
After getting a replacement cam(it was faster than sending this one in to be repaired). The same one Lem speced for me. Put it in and degreed it to with in 1 degree of the first one which was installed at 107 this one is in at 108. Installing the REBUILT roller lifter that had the oil channel groove in it and priming the motor with new push rods all is happy (GETTING OIL)..
I also Installed a spare converter (8") from my 514 setup and left the Hughes (9"super 8") Junk out. we went up to our first Super Comp race and on the throttle stop we gained 3 MPH. And she was cutting .005-.010 light s for the first time in her life. So now I feel pretty good about things and May go up this coming week to bracket race this thing my self to see what she'll do.

What sucks is my other car has been so reliable over the years didn't like all the attention the new car was getting and decided it was time for attention. It first broke the fuel pump mount which we drove out of the track and across the street to get fixed. then through out the event we were getting a leak from the CONVERTER. So I was stuck potting in the Hughes Super junk and boy that was just wrong. Lights suck timer was so F***ed up it was not even funny.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

PUSH RODS CHEWED UP?. - Page 2 Empty PUSHRODS CHEWED UP

Post  1970 ford maverick June 3rd 2012, 2:46 pm

[quote="powerstrokeace"]OK I'm going to get razzed for this. Lunati roller lifters. . Lunati has 1 oil hole that is just under the vertical bar. So this mean the Lunati lifter MUST have the vertical bar installed facing toward the outside of the center. Not toward the center as Comps are. SO YES I F**KED UP AND PUT THEM IN BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=839&gid=214

Question?, If you install the lifter with the bar toward the outside of the block,the one hole in the lifter would infact line up with the oil passage in the block ?.Now im confused,I have the same 1 oil hole that is just under the vertical bar lifters,when installed this way the oil shoots out of the lifter pushrod hole,way to much!!!.HELP,THNX MAVMAN

1970 ford maverick
1970 ford maverick

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace June 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm

[quote="1970 ford maverick"]
powerstrokeace wrote:OK I'm going to get razzed for this. Lunati roller lifters. . Lunati has 1 oil hole that is just under the vertical bar. So this mean the Lunati lifter MUST have the vertical bar installed facing toward the outside of the center. Not toward the center as Comps are. SO YES I F**KED UP AND PUT THEM IN BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=839&gid=214

Question?, If you install the lifter with the bar toward the outside of the block,the one hole in the lifter would infact line up with the oil passage in the block ?.Now im confused,I have the same 1 oil hole that is just under the vertical bar lifters,when installed this way the oil shoots out of the lifter pushrod hole,way to much!!!.HELP,THNX MAVMAN

MAVMAN this is before I realized the lifter need a groove from the push rod hole to the oil band area.
So they were installed correct. The oil hole/vertical bar towards the center of the block away from the oil galley in the block. You have to read through the whole thing slowly to understand it.
If you like I could call you

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next