what kind of oil do you use

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what kind of oil do you use

Post  cturk1010 on May 2nd 2012, 6:49 pm

well the title tells the story what kind of oil do you run in your motor and have you any oils you would stay away from just something i was thinking about as i change the oil in mine

cturk1010

Posts : 59
Join date : 2012-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  yellowhorse7 on May 2nd 2012, 6:51 pm

cturk1010 wrote:well the title tells the story what kind of oil do you run in your motor and have you any oils you would stay away from just something i was thinking about as i change the oil in mine

Brad Penn.......end of story
avatar
yellowhorse7

Posts : 1382
Join date : 2009-11-16
Age : 92
Location : Polk County

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  69F100 on May 2nd 2012, 6:59 pm

VR1 racing oil
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5148
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Lem Evans on May 2nd 2012, 8:08 pm

I've used the VR1, Kendall [back in the day] , Mobile 1, etc. , all with good results. I have observed the Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Valvoline syn. and Royal Purple get it done. Blake, Ky Jelly and Fabio like the Schaeffer oil...i got to inspect K.Y.'s bearings after 3 years and 400ish passes + dyno time and the bearings looked A+....no issue there.
The long story short.....there many good racing oils.


Lem Evans

Posts : 7146
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  cturk1010 on May 2nd 2012, 8:35 pm

i use the royal purple in my motor and when i took it apart i was very happy with the inside of the motor was clean and looked like new i just wondered what other people run i like valvoline too but have not run any other oils

cturk1010

Posts : 59
Join date : 2012-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Lem Evans on May 2nd 2012, 8:39 pm

Sounds like you are doing fine......go have fun Smile End of story.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7146
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  richter69 on May 2nd 2012, 9:35 pm

even good oil in a f'd combo can fail...........and its always the oils fault..........
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Barney on May 2nd 2012, 9:54 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
cturk1010 wrote:well the title tells the story what kind of oil do you run in your motor and have you any oils you would stay away from just something i was thinking about as i change the oil in mine

Brad Penn.......end of story
X2
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  richter69 on May 2nd 2012, 9:59 pm

Barney wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:
cturk1010 wrote:well the title tells the story what kind of oil do you run in your motor and have you any oils you would stay away from just something i was thinking about as i change the oil in mine

Brad Penn.......end of story
X2



unless you run E85

http://www.penngrade1.com/CMSFiles/File/March%202011_E85_TECH_LETTER_BRAD_PENN.pdf
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Barney on May 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm

True, but I don't think that's in the plans.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  richter69 on May 2nd 2012, 10:27 pm

so.......................that must mean there is more to the story if you run E85?
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Barney on May 2nd 2012, 10:38 pm

Probly,
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  bbf-falcon on May 3rd 2012, 12:41 pm

Would'nt it be the same story as if you run Alky. Isn't that when the issues arise w/penn grade

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  jbozzelle on May 3rd 2012, 12:44 pm

richter69 wrote:even good oil in a f'd combo can fail...........and its always the oils fault..........


Exactly! I've always used Shell Rotella 15W40. We used it in everything and always had it sitting around. Been working fine for years and it's easily available if I need some while at the track...

jbozzelle

Posts : 3613
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 44
Location : New Orleans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  cool40 on May 3rd 2012, 10:03 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
richter69 wrote:even good oil in a f'd combo can fail...........and its always the oils fault..........


Exactly! I've always used Shell Rotella 15W40. We used it in everything and always had it sitting around. Been working fine for years and it's easily available if I need some while at the track...
x2 Very Happy
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Lem Evans on May 3rd 2012, 10:05 pm

cool40 wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:
richter69 wrote:even good oil in a f'd combo can fail...........and its always the oils fault..........


Exactly! I've always used Shell Rotella 15W40. We used it in everything and always had it sitting around. Been working fine for years and it's easily available if I need some while at the track...
x2 Very Happy

Cool 40........I hear that you make your own oil and gaskets.....is this true?

Lem Evans

Posts : 7146
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  cool40 on May 3rd 2012, 10:12 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:
richter69 wrote:even good oil in a f'd combo can fail...........and its always the oils fault..........


Exactly! I've always used Shell Rotella 15W40. We used it in everything and always had it sitting around. Been working fine for years and it's easily available if I need some while at the track...
x2 Very Happy

Cool 40........I hear that you make your own oil and gaskets.....is this true?
i also make my own alky Very Happy us'n rednecks get'r done!
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  jrocco on May 4th 2012, 10:31 pm

cturk1010 wrote:well the title tells the story what kind of oil do you run in your motor and have you any oils you would stay away from just something i was thinking about as i change the oil in mine

Street Engine or Race Engine?
avatar
jrocco

Posts : 41
Join date : 2009-08-09
Age : 74
Location : Crosby (Houston Area) TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  466cj on May 5th 2012, 2:43 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Would'nt it be the same story as if you run Alky. Isn't that when the issues arise w/penn grade

Is interesting, Brad Penn is supposed to be like the old Kendall which a lot guys used in Methanol fueled engines with good results. I know of guys doing the same with the Brad Penn. Just have to wonder if it has to do with difference between ethanol and Methanol or race car vs. street and fact the street car is being put away wet with all that water getting in the oil if the engine was used for short trips and did not get some heat in the oil. Have to wonder if other oils used with E85 have the same issues.

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  1960BBFFalcon on May 5th 2012, 11:33 am

I am interested in this topic especially with burning Methanol on a drag race setup. I am running VR-1 currently. Plan to change after 25-30 passes to get an idea of change interval.

Any thoughts???
avatar
1960BBFFalcon

Posts : 22
Join date : 2012-04-29
Location : Dallas, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  CP598 on May 5th 2012, 10:16 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I've used the VR1, Kendall [back in the day] , Mobile 1, etc. , all with good results. I have observed the Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Valvoline syn. and Royal Purple get it done. Blake, Ky Jelly and Fabio like the Schaeffer oil...i got to inspect K.Y.'s bearings after 3 years and 400ish passes + dyno time and the bearings looked A+....no issue there.
The long story short.....there many good racing oils.


Wow Lem, 3 years and 400 passes is pretty damn impressive. Was this dry sump system? Would you mind sharing what pan, pump etc.???
avatar
CP598

Posts : 38
Join date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Lem Evans on May 6th 2012, 11:01 am

Actual engine and pan......Kaase pump.


Lem Evans

Posts : 7146
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  richter69 on May 6th 2012, 11:27 am

1960BBFFalcon wrote:I am interested in this topic especially with burning Methanol on a drag race setup. I am running VR-1 currently. Plan to change after 25-30 passes to get an idea of change interval.

Any thoughts???


Just have to look at the oil condition to figure out what it wants, if its milky your doing it wrong, on mine its more of a time thing, i change mine at the begining of the season and once about halfway through. getting the oil up to temp and keeping it there is a big help. I also like to pull the drain plug and let a couple shot glasses full out..if there is any alky thats settled it will come out first. The Schaeffer's will actually get a brown tint when its been in there awhile under normal condions.
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  CP598 on May 6th 2012, 12:01 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Actual engine and pan......Kaase pump.


Thanks Lem.
avatar
CP598

Posts : 38
Join date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what kind of oil do you use

Post  Maxx Levell on May 7th 2012, 8:39 am

Hmmm...this topic now has me perplexed. I run E85 and am now wondering what I need to be looking for as far as a good oil to use. I was using Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30...but now am wondering if that's my best choice. Any suggestions lol...I'm all ears. Just finishing up on a new build for this year...moved to a Man O War block (SBF) and was planning on the Rotella for the startup and all...any problems with this that anyone can foresee?

Thanks in advance...
avatar
Maxx Levell

Posts : 87
Join date : 2010-05-24
Age : 51
Location : Henderson KY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum