Cam question?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 11th 2012, 1:42 pm

Can someone help me out here?
I recently ordered a Lunati Voodoo cam # 61605, 241/249 was wondering what your guys' opinion was on this. Can I run this cam on the stock valvetrain?

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  res0rli9 on May 11th 2012, 3:01 pm

Need engine specs. but it wont work on stock heads, need to cut valve guides

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3335
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 68
Location : sarasota FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 11th 2012, 5:08 pm

Sorry, it's an '84 460, not sure which heads it has though, only numbers I saw on it were "3f14". Engine is completely stock at the moment.

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  dfree383 on May 11th 2012, 6:45 pm

That's to much cam for a stock 460 of that vintage.

avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14021
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  rmcomprandy on May 11th 2012, 6:47 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Can someone help me out here?
I recently ordered a Lunati Voodoo cam # 61605, 241/249 was wondering what your guys' opinion was on this. Can I run this cam on the stock valvetrain?

Besides being to much cam, it has to much valve lift to even work with the stock heads; as said.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5018
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  Barney on May 11th 2012, 7:01 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Sorry, it's an '84 460, not sure which heads it has though, only numbers I saw on it were "3f14". Engine is completely stock at the moment.
Are you planning on uprading prior to installing the cam?
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 1:17 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Can someone help me out here?
I recently ordered a Lunati Voodoo cam # 61605, 241/249 was wondering what your guys' opinion was on this. Can I run this cam on the stock valvetrain?

Besides being to much cam, it has to much valve lift to even work with the stock heads; as said.

Are there any stock 460 heads(d0ve?) that will work with this, or will they have to be aftermarket heads?

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 1:20 am

Barney wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Sorry, it's an '84 460, not sure which heads it has though, only numbers I saw on it were "3f14". Engine is completely stock at the moment.
Are you planning on uprading prior to installing the cam?

Yes I do, 1 7/8 primary tube headers, edelbrock rpm intake manifold, holley street avenger 770 carb with vacuum secondaries, msd distributor, anything else I would need?

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  Barney on May 12th 2012, 1:40 am

As has been said your either going to have to use aftermarket Heads, or upgrade and machine stock castings.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  dfree383 on May 12th 2012, 1:42 am

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
Barney wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Sorry, it's an '84 460, not sure which heads it has though, only numbers I saw on it were "3f14". Engine is completely stock at the moment.
Are you planning on uprading prior to installing the cam?

Yes I do, 1 7/8 primary tube headers, edelbrock rpm intake manifold, holley street avenger 770 carb with vacuum secondaries, msd distributor, anything else I would need?

Compression....... if you want to run a decent sized camshaft. If its a stock Long Block, your only at around 8:1 or Less..... to run decent with that cam you'll need to be in the 10:1 range. Plus you will need springs and rocker arms.

I'd suggest a Head swap. if you budget allows or go with a substantialy smaller camshaft.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14021
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  cturk1010 on May 12th 2012, 6:08 am

x2 on the different heads spend the money on heads and that cam will work if not you will have a terd of a motor a worked set of dove heads or late 60s heads would do mill down the stud boss to put on rollers and guide plates and use hardend push rods with that cam you will want rollers and you will need springs or you will float your valves at about 3800 rpm or save a grand or so and put a smaller cam in if not taking the heads off stay under 540 lift

cturk1010

Posts : 59
Join date : 2012-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  rmcomprandy on May 12th 2012, 10:38 am

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
Barney wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:Sorry, it's an '84 460, not sure which heads it has though, only numbers I saw on it were "3f14". Engine is completely stock at the moment.
Are you planning on uprading prior to installing the cam?

Yes I do, 1 7/8 primary tube headers, edelbrock rpm intake manifold, holley street avenger 770 carb with vacuum secondaries, msd distributor, anything else I would need?

If you need an off the shelf cam which sounds like a bigger cam than what it actually is, the Comp Cams Hydraulic flat tappet "Thumper" series does that.
All three will FIT stock heads with just a valve spring change

Personally, I would have something custom ground to exactly fit your needs. Doing THAT is not nearly as expensive as what all the other cylinder head modifications which will be required to use that "VooDoo" camshaft.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5018
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 2:36 pm

dfree383 wrote:
Compression....... if you want to run a decent sized camshaft. If its a stock Long Block, your only at around 8:1 or Less..... to run decent with that cam you'll need to be in the 10:1 range. Plus you will need springs and rocker arms.

I'd suggest a Head swap. if you budget allows or go with a substantialy smaller camshaft.

That's exactly what I'm aiming at, at least 10:1 compression, I'm looking at some aluminum 83cc chamber heads that will put me at 10.2:1 compression according to a calculator.

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 2:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

If you need an off the shelf cam which sounds like a bigger cam than what it actually is, the Comp Cams Hydraulic flat tappet "Thumper" series does that.
All three will FIT stock heads with just a valve spring change

Personally, I would have something custom ground to exactly fit your needs. Doing THAT is not nearly as expensive as what all the other cylinder head modifications which will be required to use that "VooDoo" camshaft.

I was going to go with the thumpr series, but I read some bad reviews so I looked into the "voodoo" series & they were cheaper.
I don't mind spending the extra money as long as it's done right, I just wanted to know if this will work with the stock valvetrain since I'm going to change the timing gears & chain, I thought why not change the cam while I'm there...

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  rmcomprandy on May 12th 2012, 3:46 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

If you need an off the shelf cam which sounds like a bigger cam than what it actually is, the Comp Cams Hydraulic flat tappet "Thumper" series does that.
All three will FIT stock heads with just a valve spring change

Personally, I would have something custom ground to exactly fit your needs. Doing THAT is not nearly as expensive as what all the other cylinder head modifications which will be required to use that "VooDoo" camshaft.

I was going to go with the thumpr series, but I read some bad reviews so I looked into the "voodoo" series & they were cheaper.
I don't mind spending the extra money as long as it's done right, I just wanted to know if this will work with the stock valvetrain since I'm going to change the timing gears & chain, I thought why not change the cam while I'm there...

You said you already ordered it so, it is all immaterial anywhay.
It will NOT work with the stock valve train and even if the valve train was changed THAT VooDoo camshaft still will not run with an unmodified stock cylinder head.

Bad reviews from who...? Those who convinced you to purchase that non compatible VooDoo cam...?

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5018
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  466cj on May 12th 2012, 5:00 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Compression....... if you want to run a decent sized camshaft. If its a stock Long Block, your only at around 8:1 or Less..... to run decent with that cam you'll need to be in the 10:1 range. Plus you will need springs and rocker arms.

I'd suggest a Head swap. if you budget allows or go with a substantialy smaller camshaft.

That's exactly what I'm aiming at, at least 10:1 compression, I'm looking at some aluminum 83cc chamber heads that will put me at 10.2:1 compression according to a calculator.

A stock 1984 460 is spec'd at 8.0 CR and many actually are below that. If you actually have 8.0 CR a 83cc head would get you to 8.8, a 75cc 9.1, 72cc 9.6. If you zero deck the block you will be at 10.1 with a 72cc head.

A D0VE head will be 78 - 75
A D0OE-R and most aftermarket 72cc

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  Barney on May 12th 2012, 5:04 pm

What are you trying to accomplish? Your going to have to decide if that camshaft will help you achieve your goals, and if it's worth the work and money to build an engine compatible with it, you would probably be money ahead to sell that cam and pick up one that won't require as much valvetrain change. Your kind of going about it backwards, usually you choose a cam after a lot of these thing are figured out, where you have a camshaft and now you have to change things to accommodate it.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  richter69 on May 12th 2012, 5:13 pm

cam is the last piece to the puzzle.............
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:24 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
You said you already ordered it so, it is all immaterial anywhay.
It will NOT work with the stock valve train and even if the valve train was changed THAT VooDoo camshaft still will not run with an unmodified stock cylinder head.

Bad reviews from who...? Those who convinced you to purchase that non compatible VooDoo cam...?

Yea, it already came in. It's alright though, I was planning to swap in aluminum heads(up to .600 lift) anyway, so I'll save it til then. I didn't want to buy a cam for the stock heads then another one for aftermarket heads. I'm pretty much piece-ing up my future engine build & want to make sure everything is compatible before I put the engine together & f*ck something up.

*sigh*, from Chevy guys... No

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:30 pm

466cj wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Compression....... if you want to run a decent sized camshaft. If its a stock Long Block, your only at around 8:1 or Less..... to run decent with that cam you'll need to be in the 10:1 range. Plus you will need springs and rocker arms.

I'd suggest a Head swap. if you budget allows or go with a substantialy smaller camshaft.

That's exactly what I'm aiming at, at least 10:1 compression, I'm looking at some aluminum 83cc chamber heads that will put me at 10.2:1 compression according to a calculator.

A stock 1984 460 is spec'd at 8.0 CR and many actually are below that. If you actually have 8.0 CR a 83cc head would get you to 8.8, a 75cc 9.1, 72cc 9.6. If you zero deck the block you will be at 10.1 with a 72cc head.

A D0VE head will be 78 - 75
A D0OE-R and most aftermarket 72cc

Ok, damn, then are the calculators really that inaccurate?

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:34 pm

Barney wrote:What are you trying to accomplish? Your going to have to decide if that camshaft will help you achieve your goals, and if it's worth the work and money to build an engine compatible with it, you would probably be money ahead to sell that cam and pick up one that won't require as much valvetrain change. Your kind of going about it backwards, usually you choose a cam after a lot of these thing are figured out, where you have a camshaft and now you have to change things to accommodate it.

A street machine capable of putting out from 500-600+ hp? I know aluminum heads are a must for me since I'm trying cut the weight down so the cam will work with them. I will also be getting some H-beam rods to handle that power.

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:36 pm

richter69 wrote:cam is the last piece to the puzzle.............

Kind of figured now, I just thought I could throw it in while the engine is disassembled..

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:48 pm

One more question, Do you guys think the 72cc Super Cobra Jet heads will be good for my application, or do you guys recommend something else? This is my first big block build & would like some input from those with experience.

Thanks.

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  466cj on May 12th 2012, 5:54 pm

AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
Ok, damn, then are the calculators really that inaccurate?

Calculators are only as accurate as the information put in.

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cam question?

Post  AUDIOADDICT02 on May 12th 2012, 5:59 pm

466cj wrote:
AUDIOADDICT02 wrote:
Ok, damn, then are the calculators really that inaccurate?

Calculators are only as accurate as the information put in.

This is what I put in & what I got:
Bore: 4.36
Stroke: 3.85
H.g.: 0.038
Head vol. 72cc

...and I get 11.58 compression..???

..I also read that with 71cc heads will bring the bbf up to 11:1 compression ratio?

AUDIOADDICT02

Posts : 44
Join date : 2012-05-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum