BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head Gasket Question

4 posters

Go down

Head Gasket Question Empty Head Gasket Question

Post  Deviant May 20th 2012, 4:59 pm

Dying of curiosity!

I pulled my heads off my 460 for a trip to the machine shop monday and got to looking at the head gaskets. I never noticed before that some of the paths for the coolant across the top of the gasket between the cylinders are restricted by the gasket and one is even blocked off. My new gaskets are the same so I assume there is a reason.

WHY?

Deviant

Back to top Go down

Head Gasket Question Empty Re: Head Gasket Question

Post  Paul Kane May 20th 2012, 5:02 pm

Water enters the engine at the front and exits at the front. The head gaskets are designed to influence/equalize coolant flow to the rear of the block/heads before returning/exiting out the front. The hot spots are deterred in effect.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deviant May 20th 2012, 5:24 pm

Thanks, I was pretty sure it controlled flow and alot of thought went into this, but you never really know till you ask. It seems that could have been addressed at the developement stage for this block.

BTW You have answered many, many questions for me on this and another forum through the search button over the last year. You have enlightened me repeatedly. I'm sure there are many of us out there silently searching, reading and learning from you and many others. THANKS

Deviant

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 May 20th 2012, 9:10 pm

some of the big block ford gaskets block off diff ( size) holes then others, look in a catalog at a parts store and you'll see what im talking about, its not a big deal

call fel pro tech line if you want more info
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  fordman50 May 28th 2012, 9:15 pm

What a Face

fordman50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content