Eagle Rods

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Barney on May 25th 2012, 6:16 pm

Barney wrote:Rods fail for a number of reasons, an yes often on decel and free rev such as a broken drive line part, or light load in a burnout box.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Lem Evans on May 25th 2012, 6:51 pm

Barney wrote:
Barney wrote:Rods fail for a number of reasons, an yes often on decel and free rev such as a broken drive line part, or light load in a burnout box.

It is agreed that the "light" load in the burnout box does the rods/bolts no favors...but... i.m.o. the stuff really hits the fan when the driver chops the throttle blades completely closed directly after the exit of the 'box' while the engine rpm is still high [more than likely too high].

Lem Evans

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Barney on May 25th 2012, 7:00 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Barney wrote:
Barney wrote:Rods fail for a number of reasons, an yes often on decel and free rev such as a broken drive line part, or light load in a burnout box.

It is agreed that the "light" load in the burnout box does the rods/bolts no favors...but... i.m.o. the stuff really hits the fan when the driver chops the throttle blades completely closed directly after the exit of the 'box' while the engine rpm is still high [more than likely too high].
Yep, and when you release the lineloc and the RPMs sky because the burnout rev limiter is no longer in play. I always release it and immediately hit the switch again to reactivate the limiter.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Lem Evans on May 25th 2012, 8:57 pm

So, is it in or after the 'box' ? We may never know Laughing But I suspect it's after.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  richter69 on May 25th 2012, 9:18 pm

Barney wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Barney wrote:
Barney wrote:Rods fail for a number of reasons, an yes often on decel and free rev such as a broken drive line part, or light load in a burnout box.

It is agreed that the "light" load in the burnout box does the rods/bolts no favors...but... i.m.o. the stuff really hits the fan when the driver chops the throttle blades completely closed directly after the exit of the 'box' while the engine rpm is still high [more than likely too high].
Yep, and when you release the lineloc and the RPMs sky because the burnout rev limiter is no longer in play. I always release it and immediately hit the switch again to reactivate the limiter.



my burnout limiter is on a switch on the control panel, it also disables the data recorder for the 7531, EGT data logger and the record on the tach...............I've only forgotten to turn the switch back off twice............ Laughing
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  schmitty on May 25th 2012, 9:20 pm

Suspect So what we're saying here is that if you go too fast in the box, an explosion may happen? Sounds kinky. Laughing
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Larry Williams on May 25th 2012, 9:20 pm

"Should the driver take all the load off the engine immediately by popping the transmission into neutral at the same time getting off the accelerator? "

never ever try putting a glide in neutral past the traps!!! all sorts of weird things can happen. On my first full power pass in many years I did just that. I ended up in the wrong lane fish tailing when it went back in low gear. Good thing I was racing a chevy and he was way back lol

as well its in the rule book as a no no.


avatar
Larry Williams

Posts : 884
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 73
Location : Wallacetown Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  richter69 on May 25th 2012, 9:25 pm

the neutraling past the stripe is another can of worms, Its a no no on a 3 speed but a glide with a pro style brake should have no issues...........
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  Barney on May 25th 2012, 11:18 pm

richter69 wrote:
Barney wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Barney wrote:
Barney wrote:Rods fail for a number of reasons, an yes often on decel and free rev such as a broken drive line part, or light load in a burnout box.

It is agreed that the "light" load in the burnout box does the rods/bolts no favors...but... i.m.o. the stuff really hits the fan when the driver chops the throttle blades completely closed directly after the exit of the 'box' while the engine rpm is still high [more than likely too high].
Yep, and when you release the lineloc and the RPMs sky because the burnout rev limiter is no longer in play. I always release it and immediately hit the switch again to reactivate the limiter.



my burnout limiter is on a switch on the control panel, it also disables the data recorder for the 7531, EGT data logger and the record on the tach...............I've only forgotten to turn the switch back off twice............ Laughing
My line loc switch controls my burnout limiter, it's on a pinky switch on my shifter, I let off it to release the brake pressure then immediately go back down on it to use the limiter. It's how I've always done it, there's probly better ways, but I've always done it that way.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  cool40 on May 26th 2012, 12:52 am

i have a 3-step but its never had a chip in it for a line lock.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7165
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  466cj on May 26th 2012, 1:45 am

schmitty wrote: Suspect So what we're saying here is that if you go too fast in the box, an explosion may happen? Sounds kinky. Laughing

Yeah.... kinda... sorta...

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  LivermoreDave on May 26th 2012, 1:51 pm

richter69 wrote:the neutraling past the stripe is another can of worms, Its a no no on a 3 speed but a glide with a pro style brake should have no issues...........
..... nor should there be any issues with a well prepped 3 speed, installed properly!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Posts : 972
Join date : 2009-09-27
Location : North of the Equator.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagle Rods

Post  fordman50 on May 28th 2012, 9:04 pm

all that low end stuff is Chinese.. and works ok

fordman50

Posts : 32
Join date : 2012-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum