BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ???

+6
John Myrick
dfree383
samiam
c.evans
cool40
curleysracecars
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? Empty Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ???

Post  curleysracecars June 6th 2012, 9:40 pm

Hey everyone,
I recently had a customer ask me to build a custom water neck for his BBF build. We went over a few details and I was able to build him what he needed. I did a quick search and found a couple people who were in need of this same sort of deal. This one in particular is offset to one side to clear the distributor, has an overflow built into the radiator cap housing, and also has a -12AN fitting facing the front.
I just thought I would see if anyone else was in need of something similar. Not limited to water necks, but really any other products that the current aftermarket may be lacking when it comes to building a BBF setup. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? BBFwaterneck

curleysracecars
curleysracecars

http://www.curleysracecars.com

Back to top Go down

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? Empty Re: Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ???

Post  cool40 June 6th 2012, 9:57 pm

Cool i sure wish i could weld aluminum that good. Embarassed
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? Empty Re: Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ???

Post  curleysracecars June 6th 2012, 10:03 pm

Thanks...its not as pretty as I was hoping for, but Im never happy with my work. LOL. Thanks again.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 6th 2012, 10:44 pm

Yep. they are needed. We've been shortchanged on those,,,,,,,as compared to the Chevy boys.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars June 7th 2012, 12:45 am

Good to hear Charlie. If anyone needs something built/fabricated, let me know.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam June 7th 2012, 12:58 am

Good to see there are other fabricator's with a common mindset

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? IMG_3628
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 7th 2012, 7:28 am

Ok how much. And are you going to make one for a small block style outlet?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars June 7th 2012, 9:32 am

Prices would vary, depending on how many fittings a person wanted and other small details. Somewhere around $150 for a basic one as pictured. Educate me on the SBF outlet. Once I know what they are, I can see if I would be able to make anything similar. Thanks.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 7th 2012, 11:34 am

Kyle,

The FRPP H429 Victor, and C-460 Ford intake manifolds have the traditional production style thermo housing with the thermo gasket being horizontal. This style "crowds" those front two manifold to head bolt holes on aftermarket manifolds.

To resolve that problem, TFS, when they cast their current A-460 single plane and A-460 tunnel ram manifolds,,,,they rotated the thermo housing down 90* (clocked) and started using the small block Ford water neck with bypass hole. In this situation the thermo gasket is vertical. At the end of the day, it gives more room for those (right hand) front two bolt holes.

So,,,many of us that race the BB Ford have need for both styles of water necks, SBF and BBF.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars June 10th 2012, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification Charlie. So the water neck mounting surface is simply vertical instead of horizontal. Same bolt pattern? Im assuming if one used this style, the tube portion of the filler neck would need to bend up in order to stand vertical and allow one to fill the motor with water?
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 10th 2012, 8:32 pm

curleysracecars wrote:Thanks for the clarification Charlie. So the water neck mounting surface is simply vertical instead of horizontal.

Yes, if it's a SBF then the maounting surface is vertical.

Same bolt pattern?

No, it's the SBF WITH the bypass hole. The thermo housing is different and it uses a different gasket. Go to AutoZone and buy a $10 SBF OEM replacement thermo housing/water neck and you'll see.

Im assuming if one used this style, the tube portion of the filler neck would need to bend up in order to stand vertical and allow one to fill the motor with water?

Yes, it would need to bend upwards about 90* in order to allow you to fill it.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick January 28th 2013, 5:53 pm

Kyle ( curleyracecars ) you have a pm

John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars September 4th 2013, 10:25 pm

I know this is an old thread, and others have made these in the time since. I wanted to bump the thread, to let everyone know I am trying a small production run of these. Flanges have been cut from 3/8" aluminum, on the water jet. Radiator cap piece should be here tomorrow or Friday. If anyone needs one, please let me know.
Thanks.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars September 11th 2013, 8:36 pm

Here they are...waiting for whatever AN fittings are needed, as well as welding the radiator cap portion off(have not yet because Id rather point the overflow fitting in the direction the customer needs). Let me know what you think.

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? 44DCDA70-DD1A-4C56-B0E9-9BCBE47DDAE6-8085-000008AC07140137_zps4c4fefb3

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? 01DB0116-801B-42D4-8631-7C0FFF6197BC-8085-000008AC12083522_zpsc6019de5

Are custom water necks needed for BBF's ??? 9B8ADC9F-C626-4AD7-A681-693E0E395078-8085-000008AC1B6FAE77_zps2da6d662
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 11th 2013, 9:00 pm

Cool  you'll move some of them i bet!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars September 11th 2013, 9:45 pm

Im hoping! LOL.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 12th 2013, 9:53 am

Nice Stuff
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 September 13th 2013, 11:34 pm

Kyle's work is top notch, I've been to his shop, and he fabricated some parts for me. You should see the chassis work & sheet metal he does too, pretty fantastic stuff.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars September 22nd 2013, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the good words. Anyone else need one of these? I have 2 left...sitting on the shelf. $140 shipped in the lower 48. Let me know.
Thanks.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Blood September 22nd 2013, 11:55 pm

Curley, don't suppose you have a billet unit that will work to replace the stock piece? I've spent hours looking for a nice piece and as you must already know there isn't much available that's not already chromed.

Thanks, Clint

Blue Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bird racer October 7th 2013, 12:54 pm

Very Nice!
t-bird racer
t-bird racer

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars November 28th 2013, 12:11 am

Anyone else interested in these? I think I still have 2 available...

Clint, Im not familiar with what the stock unit looks like. If you can send me a picture of it, I can tell you whether I can make something or not.
Thanks.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars April 5th 2014, 12:31 am

Hey everyone! I know this is an old thread, but I just recently found a box with another one of these water necks in it. The main flange is welded on, but the Im waiting for a customer to tell me what(if any) AN fittings he needs on it, and what direction they want the overflow nipple facing.
If interested in the last one, please email me directly at curleysracecars@gmail.com

Thanks!
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Blood April 28th 2014, 1:51 am

So do you have just the T stat housing with the normal hose output? I realize you were asking for more custom application but these look great and I don't anything else ven close.

Thanks, Clint.

Blue Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  steven gregoire April 30th 2014, 11:46 am

Im on the hunt for a water neck. For the forward facing small block style. It needs to turn up and go up about 6" or so. I have a rear radiator in the dragster, and i need the cap to be as high as the radiator. plus i need a 12an outlet. anyone have any thoughts. Im about to fire up the bridgeport and just make one. lol
steven gregoire
steven gregoire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next