BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decisions Decisions!

+3
dfree383
rmcomprandy
MadeInThe70s
7 posters

Go down

Decisions Decisions! Empty Decisions Decisions!

Post  MadeInThe70s June 10th 2012, 1:06 pm

I need some help on a decision I need to make regarding which motor to build. I recently acquired 4 429 motors. Or at least I believe they are. All 385 blocks any way. I will only be building one for now and was wondering which one I should choose. Here are the casting #s from the motors I have. D1VE-AA, D1VE-A2B, D0VE-A, and C9VE-B. I was told 2 are Cobra Jets and 2 are Thunder Jets. I cant tell, and its okay if they are not. But I still would like to know what they are, and the best one to build. Thank you for any help.

MadeInThe70s

Back to top Go down

Decisions Decisions! Empty Re: Decisions Decisions!

Post  rmcomprandy June 10th 2012, 1:26 pm

MadeInThe70s wrote:I need some help on a decision I need to make regarding which motor to build. I recently acquired 4 429 motors. Or at least I believe they are. All 385 blocks any way. I will only be building one for now and was wondering which one I should choose. Here are the casting #s from the motors I have. D1VE-AA, D1VE-A2B, D0VE-A, and C9VE-B. I was told 2 are Cobra Jets and 2 are Thunder Jets. I cant tell, and its okay if they are not. But I still would like to know what they are, and the best one to build. Thank you for any help.

A real CobraJet will have 4 bolt main cap ... EDIT: ability.

The best one to build would be the one with the strongest main webs and thickest cylinder walls. It requires some measuring to figure that out.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on June 11th 2012, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Decisions Decisions! Empty Cool thanks!

Post  MadeInThe70s June 10th 2012, 2:51 pm

That helps Thank you, Looks like It'll be the D0VE-A motor then.

MadeInThe70s

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 10th 2012, 4:41 pm

Dove blocks are usually 2 bolt, odds are you don't have a cj motor unless it has DOOE-R heads on it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH June 10th 2012, 5:34 pm

all SCJ are 4 bolt , CJ can be a 2 bolt .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Decisions Decisions! Empty D0VE-A

Post  MadeInThe70s June 10th 2012, 8:11 pm

The D0VE-A engine came with 3 D0OE-R heads the 2 on it and an extra. The intake manifold looks like it will fit a Rochester quadrajet carb which I thought was strange. There are 2 of them in a box I received with the extra parts.

MadeInThe70s

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 10th 2012, 9:01 pm

MadeInThe70s wrote:The D0VE-A engine came with 3 D0OE-R heads the 2 on it and an extra. The intake manifold looks like it will fit a Rochester quadrajet carb which I thought was strange. There are 2 of them in a box I received with the extra parts.

you have cj heads and if you don't use them on this build you can sale them quick people is always looking for dooe heads
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Decisions Decisions! Empty CJ heads

Post  MadeInThe70s June 10th 2012, 9:19 pm

Not sure yet if I will use them on this build or not. I will be putting one of the 429s in my 79 bronco just for fun! maybe I can get it to use even more gas! Leave my mark as a giant carbon foot print. lol!

MadeInThe70s

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj June 10th 2012, 11:32 pm

The 429 CJ used a Q-jet carb. Those carbs are worth money to restorers, as well as the air cleaner base. The D0VE-A block may be two bolt or four bolt have to look. The D1VE-AA block may have been a CJ as well, but most likely is a two bolt.

All the blocks are good. A D0VE-A is better to use for converting to four bolt mains if that is something that you need. The D1VE-AA likely has the thin main webbing, but if it is a thick web be good for four bolt mains too.

If they are all two bolt main blocks I'd get them sonic checked and use whatever has thicker walls. If all you want to do is bore it .030", do some basic machine work, and not looking to make much over 600 hp than I'd say just pick one as it don't matter.

As for heads the D0OE-R are a great place to start, especially on a stroker engine. The more cubes the better they will work. Just a good valve job, bowl blend and clean up will get results. If you are planing to keep it as a 429 the thunderjet heads may be better for mild street.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 11th 2012, 7:12 am

MadeInThe70s wrote:The D0VE-A engine came with 3 D0OE-R heads the 2 on it and an extra. The intake manifold looks like it will fit a Rochester quadrajet carb which I thought was strange. There are 2 of them in a box I received with the extra parts.

Those heads will work great for a race build, but if your building something mild and sticking at 429" in a bronco, they are not the best choice. It will run better with the smaller heads.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 June 11th 2012, 11:51 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
MadeInThe70s wrote:I need some help on a decision I need to make regarding which motor to build. I recently acquired 4 429 motors. Or at least I believe they are. All 385 blocks any way. I will only be building one for now and was wondering which one I should choose. Here are the casting #s from the motors I have. D1VE-AA, D1VE-A2B, D0VE-A, and C9VE-B. I was told 2 are Cobra Jets and 2 are Thunder Jets. I cant tell, and its okay if they are not. But I still would like to know what they are, and the best one to build. Thank you for any help.

A real CobraJet will have 4 bolt main caps.

The best one to build would be the one with the strongest main webs and thickest cylinder walls. It requires some measuring to figure that out.
------------------------------
RANDY
not all cobra jets have 4 bolt mains, you know this right? and not all are D0VE BLOCKS
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 11th 2012, 1:21 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

A real CobraJet will have 4 bolt main caps.

------------------------------
RANDY
not all cobra jets have 4 bolt mains, you know this right? and not all are D0VE BLOCKS

From what I have seen, all the Cobra Jets had the thick webs to be able to have the 4 bolt main caps. There may be others out there which don't but, I have never seen them.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down