first BBF build!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 11th 2012, 4:43 pm

hi everyone, im definately new with the BBF and in need of advice!! the idea i have is going to start w/ a stock D9TE block that i would like to punch out to a 521 stroker w/ cobra jet heads or the P51's. its going in an 86 Coupe thats going to be a drag only car. it has a C6 attached at the moment w/reverse manual valve body and i believe a 3,500 stall converter for now. rear gear is a 4.30 w/moser 35 spline spool and matching axels. i would like to get into the mid 5's with the combo. if its possible!!!! is my dream in reach or do i need to step back and re-think? im also trying to keep the weight down to arond 3,000 or a little less. any i mean any advice on parts or anything will be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks, mikey

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  rmcomprandy on June 11th 2012, 5:14 pm

You can get there NA at 3.000 pounds and a 521 with a race car without out a lot of trouble. With a dual-purpose car it will be really tough.
I would recommend a ported FRPP aluminum SCJ head or better and that 3,500 RPM stall converter is a bit low for the camshaft you will need..

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4982
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  quick 52 on June 11th 2012, 7:10 pm

go with the most ci you can and leave a little room for a freshen maybe a .030 or .060 over bore with a 4.500 stroke. think you can get there with $$$$$$ or the bottle

quick 52

Posts : 612
Join date : 2011-01-14
Age : 67
Location : leonard mi.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 12th 2012, 7:49 am

thanks guys, at least i know im headed in the right direction. keep the info coming!!!

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 12th 2012, 4:57 pm

what type intake, carb, cam(close specs) and converter stall?? this is going to be my road map guidelines to building the motor/trans set up thanks again.

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  quick 52 on June 12th 2012, 7:30 pm

mikey hefner wrote:what type intake, carb, cam(close specs) and converter stall?? this is going to be my road map guidelines to building the motor/trans set up thanks again.
you need one max effort to put a 521 in the mid 5s like 900hp maybe 1000hp in a 3000lbs car and the combo working perfect or close i would look at some of cars running that number lots of $$$$$

quick 52

Posts : 612
Join date : 2011-01-14
Age : 67
Location : leonard mi.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  rmcomprandy on June 12th 2012, 10:35 pm

quick 52 wrote:
mikey hefner wrote:what type intake, carb, cam(close specs) and converter stall?? this is going to be my road map guidelines to building the motor/trans set up thanks again.
you need one max effort to put a 521 in the mid 5s like 900hp maybe 1000hp in a 3000lbs car and the combo working perfect or close i would look at some of cars running that number lots of $$$$$

That really depends upon the quality of the race vehicle. Mid to high 5's has been accomplished several times with 750 horsepower at a little over 3,000 pounds.



rmcomprandy

Posts : 4982
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  quick 52 on June 13th 2012, 7:19 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
quick 52 wrote:
mikey hefner wrote:what type intake, carb, cam(close specs) and converter stall?? this is going to be my road map guidelines to building the motor/trans set up thanks again.
you need one max effort to put a 521 in the mid 5s like 900hp maybe 1000hp in a 3000lbs car and the combo working perfect or close i would look at some of cars running that number lots of $$$$$

That really depends upon the quality of the race vehicle. Mid to high 5's has been accomplished several times with 750 horsepower at a little over 3,000 pounds.


wow thats a well sorted out car

quick 52

Posts : 612
Join date : 2011-01-14
Age : 67
Location : leonard mi.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  rmcomprandy on June 13th 2012, 9:33 am

quick 52 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
quick 52 wrote:
mikey hefner wrote:what type intake, carb, cam(close specs) and converter stall?? this is going to be my road map guidelines to building the motor/trans set up thanks again.
you need one max effort to put a 521 in the mid 5s like 900hp maybe 1000hp in a 3000lbs car and the combo working perfect or close i would look at some of cars running that number lots of $$$$$

That really depends upon the quality of the race vehicle. Mid to high 5's has been accomplished several times with 750 horsepower at a little over 3,000 pounds.


wow thats a well sorted out car

Most NHRA Super Stocker's are ... but, that goes to show what quality of car is needed for that power level.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4982
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 13th 2012, 10:43 am

i failed to mention its going to be raced 1/8 mile tracks only

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  63.5Galaxie on June 16th 2012, 1:12 am

mikey hefner wrote:i failed to mention its going to be raced 1/8 mile tracks only

I am tryint to run mid to low 5's with 1150 HP and 3000 on alchy. Just have to really get a good combo.
avatar
63.5Galaxie

Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-05-23
Age : 50
Location : Quinlan, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 16th 2012, 11:23 am

im on alchohol as well. thanks for the input. im hoping to get there!!!!

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  schmitty on June 17th 2012, 7:25 am

I would go with Randy's suggestions on the combo, and if you end up a little short, you can always spray a small shot to get to the goal. Cool
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  quick 52 on June 17th 2012, 10:11 am

schmitty wrote:I would go with Randy's suggestions on the combo, and if you end up a little short, you can always spray a small shot to get to the goal. Cool
like 250hp

quick 52

Posts : 612
Join date : 2011-01-14
Age : 67
Location : leonard mi.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  dfree383 on June 17th 2012, 10:13 am

get off the Alky too.... Gas is faster.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  cool40 on June 18th 2012, 12:08 am

dfree383 wrote:get off the Alky too.... Gas is faster.
i would'nt go that far............ Rolling Eyes
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  dfree383 on June 18th 2012, 2:19 am

cool40 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:get off the Alky too.... Gas is faster.
i would'nt go that far............ Rolling Eyes

I would........ study
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  motorhead on June 18th 2012, 9:33 pm

amen brother. Arrow

motorhead

Posts : 75
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : North Carolina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  cool40 on June 18th 2012, 10:50 pm

dfree383 wrote:
cool40 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:get off the Alky too.... Gas is faster.
i would'nt go that far............ Rolling Eyes

I would........ study
it may be for you but it sure picked mine up.if i had to run a carb i'd stick with gas tho... Smile
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 19th 2012, 8:29 am

didnt want to start an alky/gas war. lol!!! just was looking for a good combo of parts to help me reach my goal. iknow alot of the guys on here has built some amazing BBF powered cars/trucks, just need pointed in the right direction of part selection. crank,rods,bearings,pistons,close cam set up etc. thanks still keep it coming

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  dfree383 on June 19th 2012, 8:52 am

cool40 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
cool40 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:get off the Alky too.... Gas is faster.
i would'nt go that far............ Rolling Eyes

I would........ study
it may be for you but it sure picked mine up.if i had to run a carb i'd stick with gas tho... Smile

Put a TR with proper 4x2 Dominators on it........ Compairing Injection on a TR to a Victor or other Single 4 isn't a fair compairison. Razz Razz

Alky is for drinking..... Gas is for goin' fast...... Ask Fabio..... king
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  cool40 on June 19th 2012, 10:29 pm

mikey hefner wrote:didnt want to start an alky/gas war. lol!!! just was looking for a good combo of parts to help me reach my goal. iknow alot of the guys on here has built some amazing BBF powered cars/trucks, just need pointed in the right direction of part selection. crank,rods,bearings,pistons,close cam set up etc. thanks still keep it coming
the first thing i'd get for the power your looking for would be a good block,A460 or IDT.if you dont have any parts yet go with a 4.5 stroke forged crank too. Very Happy
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  mikey hefner on June 26th 2012, 10:23 am

what will the 4.5 stroke crank give me?? what is a good company that will not break the bank?? also what bore size w/the 4.5 crank, length of rods?? hoping for some spcifics, thanks again!!!

mikey hefner

Posts : 79
Join date : 2012-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  rmcomprandy on June 26th 2012, 11:13 am

mikey hefner wrote:what will the 4.5 stroke crank give me?? what is a good company that will not break the bank?? also what bore size w/the 4.5 crank, length of rods?? hoping for some spcifics, thanks again!!!

Personally, for the rotating assemblies, For your application I would use SCAT steel crank with a 4.300" stroke. A 6.800" rod and whatever forged .030" over piston which gets you the compression ratio you are desiring.
A good Custom ground solid flat tappet cam, (broken-in correctly. A custom roller set-up would be better but casts more), with ported SCJ heads or P-51's.
The manifold choice will largely depend upon the hood height you wish to have.
USE a good oil pan ... for longevity and power.

The car would need to be really "right" with a low-drag, high maintenance transmission and ALWAYS good tires to get to mid 5's with that power level but, it can be done. Certainly not with that converter though.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4982
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: first BBF build!!!

Post  IDT-572 on June 26th 2012, 12:10 pm

Mid 5's @ 3000 lb is all about a good working package. HP is key but your chassis has to be on par with the power you are producing, as it has to be put to the ground.

I am running 5.40-5.45 average @ 3000 lb 4.530 bore x 4.5 stroke, ported P-51s, roller cam 15:1 compression.

Glide 1.80 planets, 4.30 gear 29.5x13.5 M/T (now 14x32 Good Year). The engine made over 1000 hp on the dyno.

It should be running faster with the hp it has. Still working on the chassis. (learning)

4340 crank 6.8 inch 4340 rod , BRC pistons.

It takes a good bit of power to run mid 5's @ 3000 lb and a good car.

Hope this helps.
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum