BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

picking a balancer

+8
Lem Evans
kim
the Coug
BOSS 429
Barney
dfree383
rmcomprandy
johndickjr
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

picking a balancer - Page 2 Empty Re: picking a balancer

Post  johndickjr July 8th 2012, 12:37 pm

[quote="rmcomprandy"]
johndickjr wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
johndickjr wrote:
johndickjr wrote: other wise they are the same , timing marks may be off but that is a easy fix

.what i am saying is that the snout size on a sbf and a 240-300 crank are the same size ...

So, the actual SBF and the straight 6 dampers are NOT the same or interchangeable from one to the other without some modification ... correct...?
Just their snout diameters and seal diameters are the same.

IF they were the SAME, they would be directly interchangeable.

The snout diameters and seal diameters are also the same on a V6 or a BOSS Big Block Ford so, they must also be the same then...? I don't think so ... they will physically fit is all.

"It's the same as this ... except different here", LOL.

lol..same snout size..yes..that is it..they are close enough that is what we use..i was just asking which one is better now days then the next..in order to use a 0 balance sbf balancer it may or may not have to be milled some..

Once again ... USE an aftermarket damper for a BOSS 429.

With THAT much vibration, I would suspect you have other issues other than the harmonic damper unless what you have been using is not "0" balance.
car is payed for i pick it up n a few weeks, my friends have owned it for the past 20 years, my g pa built the car and he died last april 2011..the car sat for a long time and i know that curt had put new bearings and seals it casue he tought it went bad from sitting..he is not much of a gear head, i spoke with him on this isssue and he said they would get at most 3 passes and the flywheel bolts will come loose, no matter what they tried..lock tight it.that a person would have to feel it ..but he would not know the difference in normal or not..i am thinking that he has put either a 28 or 50oz flywheel on it..that is my thought ..with it being a 0 balance in theroy you could take the balancer off and it wowuld be fine other then leaking oil..i read on ati site the the terms are often used wrong..a 0 balnce is called a damper as it dampens ..a balancer is just that a balnced weight on each end one in the damper aka balancer and on the flexplate.. i will let you guys know..even with it having a carb issue..then a dizzy issue and not 1 time having a good full clean pass it ran 12.25 in the 1/4..it sounds killer..thanks for the info

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr August 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm

kim wrote:fluid dampner are notorious for being impossible for a machine shop to balance, because the fluid couple is more dynamic than an elastimer band type balancer. At the low RPM used to spin-balance a rotating assembly, it doesn't creat enough heat for the fluid-dampner to start doing its thing. Atop that, a fluid-dampner failure is less evident to the operator, where an elastimer band failure is easy to track with a marked balancer where any rotation, resulting in perminant offset would indicate onset of balancer failure, a fluid-dampners function is hidden, till bearing failure makes ya go hummmm.

Fluid dampners do work, and they are a dynamic dampner, much like an elastimer band type dampner, but usually functioning within a narrower window of vibration dampening, due to heat requirements. Big diesle engines do well with BIG fluid dampners. Mechanical cancelation dampners like the rattler.......... avoid like the plague.

An SFI rated elastimer band dampner, is the best bang for the buck. Eventually, any of the products have to be replaced, you can only convert torsional load and vibration cancellation into heat for so long before something fails.
west invocations. are mechanical type ..correct

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Injected65 August 6th 2012, 4:33 pm

Innovators West dampers are friction style dampers not mechanical FYI. A spring loaded, free floating clutch pack is inside and the inertia rings take the vibration input and dissipate the vibration via the friction of the clutches moving inside the case. The friction is turned to heat and is dissipated via the fluid inside through the aluminum case.

And on the subject of inline Fords (4 and 6 cyl), yes they take a very good damper to control the torsional vibrations. We have done a few dampers for them here and there with good sucess.
Injected65
Injected65

http://www.innovatorswest.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2