BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2X4 Carb Setup

+13
jasonf
res0rli9
maverick
IDT-572
69F100
kim
466cj
BOSS 429
Mustang-junky
dfree383
rmcomprandy
dirt_worker
jmf32
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2X4 Carb Setup - Page 3 Empty Re: 2X4 Carb Setup

Post  rmcomprandy August 5th 2012, 10:48 am

jmf32 wrote:here is my temporary fix. silicone inside and on the outside. do you think the silicone will be ok being where it is at? it should be as strong as a vacuum advance hose if you know what i mean. any suggestions?

http://www.dropshots.com/zoom.html?large=http://media11.dropshots.com/photos/1030798/20120804/b_230012.jpg

Silicone was a bad idea.
Gasoline vapor will turn it to jelly and now the aluminum manifold surface is impregnated so, epoxy probably won't adhere without a lot of preparation.

That rear hole looked to be a flanged hole with hold-down bolts above and below the hole.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 5th 2012, 1:39 pm

That is a casting defect. If you cannot get a replacement I'd grind out the silicone plus some to make sure it is all gone and have it welded.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 5th 2012, 4:10 pm

Thank You for the replies.
I will clean it up there at the hole with a die grinder and weld a small bead across the hole. as far as the idle is concerned. the idle circuit i am guessing is still letting unwanted fuel to the engine. i would still like to lower the idle. right now it is probably 1500-1800 . i would turn it down but i can't. i do see an idle jet on the edelbrock diagram that was posted in this thread. i am going to the edelbrock link next to see if i can do anything with the idle jet. i drove the car just now and it is running as strong as i expected it too.just super fast idle. that may be normal for 2 carbs. any input?

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 5th 2012, 7:06 pm

pro comp strikes again.........

use jb quickweld on it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 5th 2012, 7:34 pm

jmf32 wrote:Thank You for the replies.
I will clean it up there at the hole with a die grinder and weld a small bead across the hole. as far as the idle is concerned. the idle circuit i am guessing is still letting unwanted fuel to the engine. i would still like to lower the idle. right now it is probably 1500-1800 . i would turn it down but i can't. i do see an idle jet on the edelbrock diagram that was posted in this thread. i am going to the edelbrock link next to see if i can do anything with the idle jet. i drove the car just now and it is running as strong as i expected it too.just super fast idle. that may be normal for 2 carbs. any input?

The edelbrock carb is basically the old Carter carb. and has been around since the 1950's. I'd seriously keep looking for a vacuum leak. If not make sure the throttle plates are closed down all the way on the secondaries and adjust the idle speed on the primaries. If you put the throttle plate up to a light should be no light shining through. If there is then the plates may no be properly seated in the bores.

As for the idle mixture screws turn them all the way in (clockwise) and back them off 1/4 turn and adjust from there. I'd also make sure your timing is set correctly. If the idle screws do not respond you still have a vacuum leak. Personally I think you still have a leak someplace.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 5th 2012, 8:26 pm

[/quote]

As for the idle mixture screws turn them all the way in (clockwise) and back them off 1/4 turn and adjust from there. I'd also make sure your timing is set correctly. If the idle screws do not respond you still have a vacuum leak. Personally I think you still have a leak someplace.

[/quote]

Thank You, I will check around the intake again

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 5th 2012, 10:38 pm

jmf32 wrote:Thank You for the replies.
I will clean it up there at the hole with a die grinder and weld a small bead across the hole.

Why would you waste time fixing a new intake. The item is clearly a POS. Send it back now before you grind on it and void any warranty you might have chance of getting.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 6th 2012, 7:58 am

Why would you waste time fixing a new intake. The item is clearly a POS. Send it back now before you grind on it and void any warranty you might have chance of getting.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have sent it back for warranty but I have also drilled and tapped it for my heater hose and waterpump bypass hose. Warranty is already void. The hole isn't an issue anymore. it is sealed. A small tack weld is all that the intake needs to be permanently fixed. The machine surfaces on the intake appear to be as good as any that I have seen. The casting is not the best for sure but the manifold is working fine on the car except for a super fast idle that i cannot lower other than retarding the distributor. Today I am going to check very thoroughly for any small vacuum leaks that I can find. If there aren"t any leaks then my fast idle problem is in the carbs. BTW, I was able to advance the distributor at idle last night. It is at 10 degrees BTC at idle.I will post back later today with more detailed information.Thank You

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce August 6th 2012, 11:11 am

I can't help wondering if one or more of those "mystery" bolt holes has been drilled on the upper side of that manifold has opened up an intake port? Worth a check, put a piece of tape on each one of them, see if it makes a difference.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 6th 2012, 11:33 am

Thank You
On top of the manifold, there is another complete set of carb stud holes for each carb but they are plugged at the bottom.
I will plug them to be sure.
I am plugged at the back of the intake. New soft carb gaskets. No leaks on the carbs. The carbs are plugged front and rear. I will spray the intake runners with brake cleaner and be back here shortly.
Thank You

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 7th 2012, 5:20 pm

Hi,
I am back from checking the intake for leaks. I had leaks at every runner this time due to a port mismatch. The intake was leaking badly at the corners of the square ports on the intake. The gasket intake holes are round so obviously the corners leaked. Actually this problem had occurred since I had found the casting hole earlier. If you read back where this thread started, I had originally reused my old intake gasket with permatex and it did seal but I had a hole in the intake. This time I did not use permatex and used a stock 460 manifold gasket.The standard gasket cannot seal properly due to the high square ports on the ProComp manifold. The only solution to remedy this was with a Cobrajet intake manifold gasket with the large openings. I found one on the shelf and I have just put it on. I have to return to work so I will post my results soon. Thank You

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 7th 2012, 10:06 pm

Well, no more vacuum leak and the car is finally idling at a lower rpm now. It is still idling fast for my liking. I did find that my throttle plates were slightly open. There was another idle screw underneath the linkage that I never saw until now. i turned the screw out on each carb. it helped a little but i cannot believe that i cannot make the engine stall by adjusting carbs. if i retard the timing it will stall. There is no vacuum leak. I can spray the brake cleaner heavily on the ports and all is good there. why a super fast idle? the "0" white timing mark on my balancer is aprox 1" from the pointer at idle.

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 7th 2012, 11:20 pm

You have two things for setting the idle. The idle screw which opens/closes the primary throtle plates and the two idle mixture screws in the front that control the idle mixture. If you turn the idle mixture screws all the way in you should be able to stall the engine by making it too lean unless the primary throttle plates are open too far and getting into the transfer slots. I seem to recall you tied the primary throttle plates together. Try disconnecting the linkage, but leave the returns springs on and turn out the throttle plate idle screw on each carb. Keep in mind you have double the "air leak" area so is to be expected will need to close 'em down some.

As for the timing, Disconnect the vac. adv. for the moment and put a timing light on there and set the idle at 10 deg. BTDC. at about 700 RPM.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 8th 2012, 9:38 am

466cj wrote:You have two things for setting the idle. The idle screw which opens/closes the primary throtle plates and the two idle mixture screws in the front that control the idle mixture. If you turn the idle mixture screws all the way in you should be able to stall the engine by making it too lean unless the primary throttle plates are open too far and getting into the transfer slots. I seem to recall you tied the primary throttle plates together. Try disconnecting the linkage, but leave the returns springs on and turn out the throttle plate idle screw on each carb. Keep in mind you have double the "air leak" area so is to be expected will need to close 'em down some.

As for the timing, Disconnect the vac. adv. for the moment and put a timing light on there and set the idle at 10 deg. BTDC. at about 700 RPM.

As of right now, the throttle plates are covering the transfer slots leaving none of the slot exposed. I even double checked after that I found the other idle screw underneath the linkage. I backed that screw out all the way to the point that the plates start actually rubbing into the throttle bore of the carb. I tried stalling the engine by turning the idle mixture screws all the way in. No Luck. I think that each carb is treating the other carb as a vacuum leak if you know what i am trying to say. Thank you

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 8th 2012, 4:46 pm

So how low an idle speed can you achieve? What I can say is each carb now needs to meter 1/2 the air and fuel it had to before, but something still just don't seem right here.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 8th 2012, 6:11 pm

Hi, I found the reason for the high idle. On the 2nd carb, the primary throttle plate linkage was actually hitting the intake manifold. I can't believe that I did not see it earlier but it just wasn't really noticeable.The linkage appeared to be closed at a glance. I raised the 2nd(rear) carb up with a Moroso 1" spacer to fix that. The front carb does not hit the intake anywhere, just the back one will hit the carb mounting pad.The car is idling at 950rpms now. Fully adjustable.Idle mixture is set to the highest possible vacuum at idle which is around 12". Timing is cinched down at 36 degrees total. The 2X4 intake with the edelbrock 600s really makes the engine run better everywhere in the powercurve compared to a single 750 edelbrock . It is very smooth off idle with power all the way through. I noticed a big difference in lowend torque and just more power at any speed. I am very satisfied with the power. Thank You

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 9th 2012, 12:55 am

Glad your got it working have fun Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 9th 2012, 11:35 pm

Good see you got it sorted out. Sometimes is like peeling away the layers of an onion. I am a bit surprised it runs that good considering it is such a short runner open plenum intake. May just be worth taking a closer look! Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 10th 2012, 12:04 am

A couple of things threw me off. The casting hole right off the bat. Then replacing my original intake gasket with a standard 460 type was next.Then the throttle linkage hitting at idle on the rear carb. I haven't changed the jets or metering rods from stock. I did adjust both carbs accelerator pumps to maximum setting which is the hole closest to the carb. I know that I can make the carbs richer now for more power but it is making more power than I ever had with a single 4150 type carb. The engine sounds better, it is smoother, and it idles the same as before also. it is just moving more air. I did invest in some good quality linkage when I bought the parts and I am glad that I did so that I can adjust it. I found that to be a real time saver plus it is safe as you know how much damage can be done when the throttle is stuck wide open. I used the 1/4" NPT hole in the back of each carb to install the meth/water fittings and tapped the bottom side of each carb(1/8") to install the nozzles so that the 2 nozzles are spraying into the plenum. I use the meth/water to prevent detonation on pump gas. It does work.My timing has ended up at 32 degrees with a non vac distributor but I am not dead set on leaving it there.I want to be at 36 degrees once the meth/water vacuum switch is set properly.

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky August 10th 2012, 7:47 pm

What linkage did you use? I plan on running two Carters on a tunnel ram and still need to pick up the linkage.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 August 10th 2012, 9:17 pm

I bought the linkage from Eelco. It is high quality for around $75.00. The kit had every part that I needed.
Here is a link. I bought mine on Ebay along with the carbs and manifold. All separately. I have $650 total in my 2X4.

http://www.eelcoequipped.com/index.php?cPath=24_28_57&osCsid=p578ng8nrghuv801ad276u29f7

BTW: click on carbuetor linkage

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  BCOWANWHEELS April 16th 2013, 11:10 pm

UPDATE ON PRO COMP 2X4 INTAKE. I WENT TO INSTALL A 1/2" PIPE PLUG IN THE REAR OF THE MANIFOLD,WOULDN WORK ! I HAVE TO GET MY 1/2" NPT TAP OUT AND THREAD IT. THE THREADS INSIDE FROM THE FACTORY ARE JUST ROUGHED IN AND FAR SHORT OF BEING ENOUGH FOR A PLUG-FITTING ETC. WONDER WHATS NEXT TO DISCOVER ?

BCOWANWHEELS

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 April 17th 2013, 3:52 am

I threaded that hole in the back with a bolt type tap. i want to say that it was 7/8" course thread. I then cut a piece of bolt
aprox. 1" long and cut a slot in it so that I could tighten it. I used liquid tape(from walmart auto/electrical section) on the threads to keep it tight.
It has not moved. I am not recommending this but this is what I did to seal that hole and it did work.

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  jmf32 April 17th 2013, 3:54 am

it may have been a 3/4" bolt. can't remember exact size.

jmf32

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next