EFI to carb conversion

Go down

EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on July 23rd 2012, 9:00 am

Hi every one!
My name is Sergey. i'm from russia.
My daily driver- '10 mustang V6 3.7 (not so much car in russia)
My 1st V8 project is - swap 318 magnum with nv 3550 trans in my '90 cherokee. Now is done and i lucky to use it.
I would like to build the fast mustang (fox or IV gen) with carb big block (at this time i think about 500 hp ATM). I got the 460 complete EFI engine from '96 F-350.
Is it possible to do? I mean is it the carb heads fit to the block..and other cam, lifters...
Thanks a lot!

sorry for my english Very Happy
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on July 23rd 2012, 9:08 am

The EFI heads are Decent, Only issue is no aftermarket Intakes Fit them without alot of welding.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on July 23rd 2012, 9:15 am

dfree383 wrote:The EFI heads are Decent, Only issue is no aftermarket Intakes Fit them without alot of welding.
Thanks!
Is it did some body?
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  rmcomprandy on July 23rd 2012, 9:28 am

norg wrote:
dfree383 wrote:The EFI heads are Decent, Only issue is no aftermarket Intakes Fit them without alot of welding.
Thanks!
Is it did some body?

Price Motorsports offers adapter plates which will use ANY regular port size carbureted intake manifold on F.I. Heads. The head exhaust flange is also different so, different flanges will need to be welded onto headers unless "shorties" from a later truck application will fit.
What you want is VERY "do able".

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on July 23rd 2012, 9:37 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
norg wrote:
dfree383 wrote:The EFI heads are Decent, Only issue is no aftermarket Intakes Fit them without alot of welding.
Thanks!
Is it did some body?

Price Motorsports offers adapter plates which will use ANY regular port size carbureted intake manifold on F.I. Heads. The head exhaust flange is also different so, different flanges will need to be welded onto headers unless "shorties" from a later truck application will fit.
What you want is VERY "do able".
Very nice!
that one -
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on July 23rd 2012, 9:45 am

Yep.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on July 25th 2012, 8:42 am

so, concerning spec for 500-525HP of the topic http://www.429-460.com/t122-cylinder-head-info-gathered-by-djohagin
i can go with the next parts:
Holley 750 CFM Ultra Double Pumper™ Four Barrel Street/Strip Carburetor - Black™

Edelbrock 7166 - Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds

Trick Flow® Roller Rocker Arms

Xtreme Energy™, XE274H Very Strong Mid-Range Torque and Throttle Response


for the heads... Is it possible stay with stock EFI heads or i need to fit TFS street heads with mild clean-up? Is TFS heads fit to my short block?
Thanks!
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on July 25th 2012, 9:44 am

the rockers your showing will not work on your EFI heads with out modifing the for an adjustable valvetrain.

If you go with the TFS street heads it will make your goal much easier and you will not require the price adaptors. Yes the will bolt onto your short block.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  rmcomprandy on July 25th 2012, 11:05 am

dfree383 wrote:the rockers your showing will not work on your EFI heads with out modifing the for an adjustable valvetrain.

If you go with the TFS street heads it will make your goal much easier and you will not require the price adaptors. Yes the will bolt onto your short block.

NOW ... the exhaust manifold or header needs to be changed also.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 4985
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on July 26th 2012, 1:58 am

dfree383 wrote:the rockers your showing will not work on your EFI heads with out modifing the for an adjustable valvetrain.

If you go with the TFS street heads it will make your goal much easier and you will not require the price adaptors. Yes the will bolt onto your short block.
Thanks a lot!
the headers will change
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on July 26th 2012, 2:01 am

norg wrote:
dfree383 wrote:the rockers your showing will not work on your EFI heads with out modifing the for an adjustable valvetrain.

If you go with the TFS street heads it will make your goal much easier and you will not require the price adaptors. Yes the will bolt onto your short block.
Thanks a lot!
the headers will change

Yes if you go with the TFS street heads you will need std big block flord flanged headers. The EFI heads use a different pattern.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on February 2nd 2013, 1:15 pm

dfree383 wrote:the rockers your showing will not work on your EFI heads with out modifing the for an adjustable valvetrain.

If you go with the TFS street heads it will make your goal much easier and you will not require the price adaptors. Yes the will bolt onto your short block.

Last weekend I did open the engine and I was very surprised. There was a lot of water inside, but bearings was in very good shape.
I think go with stock heads. What kind of rockers I must set up?
As I understood - I can use stock pistons? or similar...




avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on February 2nd 2013, 11:10 pm

Your going to need to look at the cylinders very close, the rust from the water is probably going to make it necessary to bore the block.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on February 3rd 2013, 2:12 am

dfree383 wrote:Your going to need to look at the cylinders very close, the rust from the water is probably going to make it necessary to bore the block.
Yes, I will check it. I have expect go to 01", hope no deeper.
I have little bit worry about rust on the heads in valve seat.
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on February 3rd 2013, 2:17 am

Next cheap over size is generally .030 thousands of an inch, most of the time .010 is going to be a custom piston.

You also need to mic the crank and see if everything is strait.

There are reasonably priced engine kits with most everything you will need.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on February 3rd 2013, 2:26 am

dfree383 wrote:Next cheap over size is generally .030 thousands of an inch, most of the time .010 is going to be a custom piston.

You also need to mic the crank and see if everything is strait.

There are reasonably priced engine kits with most everything you will need.

Which kits?
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  dfree383 on February 3rd 2013, 2:43 am

norg wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Next cheap over size is generally .030 thousands of an inch, most of the time .010 is going to be a custom piston.

You also need to mic the crank and see if everything is strait.

There are reasonably priced engine kits with most everything you will need.

Which kits?

if your not doing a big time hot rod build these are good, need to contact them and get the right sizes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mkp6322a-000/overview/

They do offer kits with forged pistons also and other options, but you need to talk with them.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13969
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on February 3rd 2013, 2:56 am

dfree383 wrote:
norg wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Next cheap over size is generally .030 thousands of an inch, most of the time .010 is going to be a custom piston.

You also need to mic the crank and see if everything is strait.

There are reasonably priced engine kits with most everything you will need.

Which kits?

if your not doing a big time hot rod build these are good, need to contact them and get the right sizes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mkp6322a-000/overview/

They do offer kits with forged pistons also and other options, but you need to talk with them.

Yes, exactly
Thanks a lot!
That is what i need.
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  norg on February 4th 2013, 11:41 pm

Guys,
Could you give me one favour please?
I calculated the cost of all stuff with new heads - and for me it's very expensive (with considering shipping).
Can I go with:
F3TE (ported) with roller rockers 1.73 and new springs,
I beam rods,
XE274H Hydraulic with 274/286 adv., 230/236@.050, .562/.565, 110 LSA
750cfm Carb

I would like save at least the current torque 400 and receive around 500 hp.

Thanx
avatar
norg

Posts : 52
Join date : 2012-07-23
Age : 39
Location : Russian Federation, Krasnodar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EFI to carb conversion

Post  69F100 on February 5th 2013, 1:13 am

norg wrote:Guys,
Could you give me one favour please?
I calculated the cost of all stuff with new heads - and for me it's very expensive (with considering shipping).
Can I go with:
F3TE (ported) with roller rockers 1.73 and new springs,
I beam rods,
XE274H Hydraulic with 274/286 adv., 230/236@.050, .562/.565, 110 LSA
750cfm Carb

I would like save at least the current torque 400 and receive around 500 hp.

Thanx

I did my 1st build with a stock 460 short block with the same comp cam XE274 with dove-c heads with home porting and bowl blend,and stock size valves. But on the stock heads you will have to cut/machine the valve guides down so you will have clearness for the lift so the spring retainer does not smash the valve seals.The best I ran was a 7.27 in the 1/8 my truck at that time was 3265 with me in it with the XE274H cam.I change pistons to flat tops and had a solid flat tappet custom cam and went to alky and it has ran the best as of now 6.70s in the 1/8.that cam will more than likely want more than the 750 carb I ran a 850 ddp holley and needed more on mine
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5103
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum