To Fill Or Not To Fill

Go down

To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 27th 2012, 7:23 pm

Would you recommend filling or partially a block (460) that is going to be bored .030 over??. The engine is either going to be a 501 or 521 stroker in a drag car. Smile
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  Barney on August 27th 2012, 7:24 pm

What hp level? You have to weigh whether or not an aftermarket block is more practical for future upgrades.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 42
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 27th 2012, 7:27 pm

Barney wrote:What hp level? You have to weigh whether or not an aftermarket block is more practical for future upgrades.

700ish... not really looking to upgrade anytime soon.. but crazier things have happen..lol
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  Barney on August 27th 2012, 7:37 pm

You dont need to fill it at that level. I wouldn't worry in the least.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 42
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 27th 2012, 7:45 pm

Barney wrote:You dont need to fill it at that level. I wouldn't worry in the least.

Thats what I thought.. But a local engine builder was telling me it should be..
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  Barney on August 27th 2012, 7:49 pm

1faststang wrote:
Barney wrote:You dont need to fill it at that level. I wouldn't worry in the least.

Thats what I thought.. But a local engine builder was telling me it should be..
It's not a Chevy. Sounds like the local guy needs a lesson.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 42
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 27th 2012, 7:50 pm

Barney wrote:
1faststang wrote:
Barney wrote:You dont need to fill it at that level. I wouldn't worry in the least.

Thats what I thought.. But a local engine builder was telling me it should be..
It's not a Chevy. Sounds like the local guy needs a lesson.

I was about to post the samething.. They don't know their Fords..lol
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  IDT-572 on August 27th 2012, 9:34 pm

Oil temps will be higher with a block fill, and you also have to remember that cylinder pressure is highest when the piston is within an inch of the top of the bore and falling fast as the piston drops in the bore. A fill to the pUmp holes wont even get you there.

On a .030 bore, I don't do it. Sonic check your bore and it will be fine. I have ran 15:1 at over 850 hp on a .080 over bore with out a fill.

I think it rates right up there with a main girdle, just helps hold the parts together after the engine blows up.

JMHO
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 27th 2012, 9:37 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Oil temps will be higher with a block fill, and you also have to remember that cylinder pressure is highest when the piston is within an inch of the top of the bore and falling fast as the piston drops in the bore. A fill to the pUmp holes wont even get you there.

On a .030 bore, I don't do it. Sonic check your bore and it will be fine. I have ran 15:1 at over 850 hp on a .080 over bore with out a fill.

I think it rates right up there with a main girdle, just helps hold the parts together after the engine blows up.

JMHO

Great Info!.. Thanks!
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  cool40 on August 27th 2012, 10:13 pm

mine is .080 and not filled. Smile
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  dfree383 on August 27th 2012, 10:58 pm

The fill helps ring seal IMO, iits worth doing in high hp stuff. But At 700 you can get away without it.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  IDT-572 on August 28th 2012, 9:04 am

dfree383 wrote:The fill helps ring seal IMO, iits worth doing in high hp stuff. But At 700 you can get away without it.

I just feel that if you are making the kind of hp that would flex the cylinder wall, maybe it's time to rethink your build and step up to an aftermarket block. Unless rules dictate an oem block, then I would back up to a .030 bore.
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 28th 2012, 10:17 am

Thanks for all the helpful info!
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  Paul Kane on August 28th 2012, 10:49 am

In a build as you describe it is an absolute waste of time, money, adds weight, increases oil temps, and does nothing for power gains relative to the performance losses resulting from my aformentioned downsides. I know people running unfilled 385 Series blocks with double the horspower you are targeting.

Paul
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  Paul Kane on August 28th 2012, 10:51 am

dfree383 wrote:The fill helps ring seal IMO, iits worth doing in high hp stuff. But At 700 you can get away without it.
Agreed, in a build such as described here the power gains from ring seal are about as worthy of discussion as the difference between a 6.7 & 6.8 rod. In other words, NIL.
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: To Fill Or Not To Fill

Post  1faststang on August 28th 2012, 11:01 am

Paul Kane wrote:In a build as you describe it is an absolute waste of time, money, adds weight, increases oil temps, and does nothing for power gains relative to the performance losses resulting from my aformentioned downsides. I know people running unfilled 385 Series blocks with double the horspower you are targeting.

Paul

Thanks Paul.. Glad to hear opinions from all the experts on here!!.. I'm learning lots!!.
avatar
1faststang

Posts : 129
Join date : 2012-08-12
Age : 41
Location : Halifax Nova Scotia Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum