BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron heads boss 429 EX part#

+9
BOSS 429
jeffgfg
dfree383
bigblok2000ranger
JBR-3
466cj
schmitty
jasonf
awmach
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty Ouch!

Post  awmach September 3rd 2012, 9:38 pm

I hope to get these for less ?
Are yours a full hemi chamber?
I,ve been surfing on and off 2wks. and found 3 or 4 pics but no perfect match?
Got pics?

awmach

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty I got em

Post  awmach September 19th 2012, 4:08 pm

2 heads, mag. blower intake, valve covers and jessel rockers
Says they came from cali ,a boat guy orginaly had cast peds.
Any ideas where to get a manifold for carb?
The angle bottom to intake surface 53ish any one know street boss angle?

Last edited by awmach on September 19th 2012, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)

awmach

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty Re: Iron heads boss 429 EX part#

Post  dfree383 September 20th 2012, 3:52 am

Post some Pics up.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty Pics soon

Post  awmach September 20th 2012, 8:09 am

I'll figure it out soon, dial up challenging

awmach

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 20th 2012, 11:29 am

awmach wrote:... and jessel rockers ... orginaly had cast peds.
If these have been apart/not run since the 1980s, you might want to see if those Jesel exhaust rockers are straight-beam or still canted/twisted the way Ford intended and engineered the original setup.

At one point early on Jesel tried to straighten out the twisted valve train/exhaust rocker shape, thinking they were making the Ford design better. In reality, Jesel did not understand the compound geometry the Ford had engineered into the exhaust rocker and which balanced the back-and-forth side thrust articulation that occurs during the opening-and-closing of the Boss 429 exhaust. The changes that Jesel made put the side loading on one side of the exhaust rocker arm 100% of the time, and this affected valve train harmonics significantly. Restoring the cylinder head's modified rocker arm pedestals back to Boss OEM is not easy nor for the inexperienced.

Further, if you do in fact have that particular Jesel rocker and it has been lightened on its underside between the trunnion and pushrod cup, those particular rockers (with the ball milled underside where I noted) proved to be too far weakened in big spring engines.

Find out which rocker arms you have.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty rockers

Post  awmach September 21st 2012, 8:12 am

I have 6 nib no plunge mark plus 4 used they indeed have a ball em plunged in that area?
The pedastels are milled on a compound angle does that change anything?

Last edited by awmach on September 22nd 2012, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)

awmach

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty original valve covers have been scanned

Post  awmach January 21st 2015, 9:16 pm

I've been trying to recreate the covers in aluminum & am getting close !
It appears they (Ford ) also moved the spark plug when they went to the crescent chamber?

awmach

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr January 22nd 2015, 2:16 pm

The part number is XE ( not EX) 144442 the $32 is the serial # or "example #" for that head.

To clear "some" of the mystery/WRONG information out there on the subject of "experimental parts" I offer the following,

XE numbers ( for prototype parts) were used by the "production" side of Ford Experimental Engine Engineering ( aka EEE or triple E) The XE number refers to a blueprint used to design a part and these numbers were used on ANY prototype part , fan belts, exhaust manifolds, heat shields, heads , intakes from four cylinders to Boss 429s . Just the fact that it has the XE number on it doesn't mean it's "trick" or  a race part. Not every prototype part WORKED! Some failed and were redesigned several times before they got final approval and a "regular" production casting number. Some programs , like the 428Cobra Jet were done exclusively using XE numbers. The XE number could be cast onto the part or hand stamped or even ink stamped onto the parts

SK numbers ( also tied to a specific blueprint with the corresponding number on it) were used primarily by the "race" side of EEE. "Most" of the specialty parts associated with the factory race engines were logged this way. Occasionally identical looking parts could be made with XE or SK numbers but there was always some (major or minor) difference. SK numbers were also cast , hand or ink stamped onto parts for ID purposes.

The $ symbol was used to indicate "example number" or serial number for a finished part , not a raw casting. So in the case of a cylinder head they coud be numbered 1-32 and there would have been 16 pairs made on that run. If a second run was made the number would have the letter A at the end i.e. $1A Blocks heads and intakes were numbered this way. This $ is not to be confused with the $ symbol on many forged steel Ford cranks , that is a different story.

Another myth is these parts were special "Holman Moody" parts. It is true Holman Moody ended up with many of these parts but they were not ( typically) designed and manufactured "for them". These were Ford parts and Ford paid to have them made for their use first. Holman Moody became a "clearing house" as well as THE source for Ford Racing parts. The 427 SOHC engines prebuilt for possible '66 production car release were sent there for "disposition" after the production deal fell apart thanks to Nascar not allowing the engine to race.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 22nd 2015, 3:52 pm

Personally unless you are given the heads they are over priced.. with all the work it is going to entail it is not cost efficient to pursue them...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox January 22nd 2015, 4:36 pm

A pair of dove heads will make more power
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Iron heads boss 429 EX part# - Page 2 Empty Great info THX !

Post  awmach January 22nd 2015, 9:33 pm

Yes the ex is a typo sorry
I have a couple collectors that want them so my taste can't be that bad ?
I also do not race nor can I afford to, they will power a gasser just fine thanks

awmach

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr January 23rd 2015, 1:33 pm

awmach,
"Back in the day" , the aluminum heads proved unreliable in a blown nitro application so the iron heads were favored. There are still ( as you have found) people that need them . Not Boss 429 car owners as they were never installed on a "production Boss 429". Mickey Thompson got Ford to make some reinforced aluminum heads ( they actually have M/T cast into them) but they should have been solid to survive.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next