BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 lost forward gears

3 posters

Go down

C6 lost forward gears Empty C6 lost forward gears

Post  Mmfh September 4th 2012, 12:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I will start off with probably a stupid question, I've got a heavy Motorhome with a 460 C6 combo and also the two speed gear venders unit. My family and I were on our way camping when I lost the forward gears on the trans, reverse still works as it should.

This is what I'm wondering, for future reference and my own knowledge. Could running this trans low on fluid have killed it?? When we were leaving the house, my driveway is about a 30 degree angle going up toward the street, I felt slipping and at the time I thought it was the rear tires slipping in the mudd in the driveway. When we got up to the road level it pulled out into the street like it should. Drove to the gas station and when I pulled into the parking lot I heard and felt a "clunk" as if I pulled it out of gear while I was moving, not much but I felt it. After that I could not move, but still had reverse.

Got towed off the street and check the fluid level, it wasn't on the stick. I filled it with 4 qts and that brought it up to full. Still no forward gears. I'm wondering if I simply burned it up driving it on such low fluid? Or was it just time to take a dump? What most likely was that I felt and heard?

Thanks guys very much, I figure I'll have to pull this and do it up nice, but it would be good to have an idea of what happened before I pull it.

Thanks

Mm

Mmfh

Back to top Go down

C6 lost forward gears Empty Re: C6 lost forward gears

Post  Frank Merkl September 4th 2012, 2:49 pm

4 qts is really low, sounds like you burnt it up
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmfh September 6th 2012, 8:45 am

Really sucks, but I figure you are probably right. I've had tranny's low before and never burned one up, thinking that because this is such a heavy rig, 20,000lbs, that trying to push it around with no fluid probably did it in.

Thanks very much!

Mm

Mmfh

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 September 9th 2012, 9:06 am

Clutches are toast.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content