BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

+14
ianxy351
D. Sea
jason
norm
hienergy557
c.evans
bbf-falcon
Frank Merkl
BOSS 429
cool40
Barney
richter69
rmcomprandy
Tore
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost - Page 2 Empty Re: A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

Post  rmcomprandy October 17th 2012, 12:16 am

That hole is not exactly straight ... it is on about a 5 degree angle and is right above the drilling coming up from the rear main bearing saddle.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost - Page 2 Empty Re: A-460 Block Oil Pressure gage port location/Back at it!!! Still lost

Post  c.evans October 17th 2012, 1:01 am

Yes, it is angled about 5* or so, off of vertical. However, it is a straight 5/16" drilled passageway that first intersects the horizontal lifter galley passageway, and then intersects the horizontal dedicated main galley passageway,,,,,,,,on the SVO A-460 blocks.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 17th 2012, 7:26 am

Thursady night I will go back out and look. Can to much clearance between the lifter and the lifter bore create a problem like this???
Just a thought. I have a different brand of lifters I can put in and try.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  jason October 17th 2012, 1:07 pm

I don't have any restrictions and I have the gauge in the back and a kasse pump.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 17th 2012, 1:17 pm

Are you running a solid roller cam and roller rockers?

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 17th 2012, 3:20 pm

Tore,

Bummer about the oil issue, I have mine Plummer to the back of the block along with the accumulator. I suspect Charlie and the others are correct. It's not drilled all the way through.

Will be interesting to discover the issue.

I put a stroked 427 FE in my car once to discover a lack of oil pressure. Turns out the plunger and spring in the back if the block were installed wrong.
D
Good luck my friend and I hope it's something simple.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 October 17th 2012, 9:15 pm

Tore,
What is easier, pulling the motor or trans? Maybe you can pull the trans, remove the flexplate/flywheel and take out the rear gallery plugs. If you can get your hands on a bore scope or at worst a flexy light/flextorch and some wire feed in from the top you can confirm if the passage intersects with the dedicated mains gallery.
Then you will know your next move.
Cheers Colin.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 18th 2012, 12:48 pm

hienergy557 wrote:Tore,
What is easier, pulling the motor or trans? Maybe you can pull the trans, remove the flexplate/flywheel and take out the rear gallery plugs. If you can get your hands on a bore scope or at worst a flexy light/flextorch and some wire feed in from the top you can confirm if the passage intersects with the dedicated mains gallery.
Then you will know your next move.
Cheers Colin.

He's already completed those tasks. He's going to plum a line from the front port to the back. I think that will work until he can dissassemble the block to find the real issue.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  ianxy351 October 18th 2012, 4:57 pm

This might be a long shot, but is there any chance you have the oil gallery inhex plugs mixed up? That is, the plugs with the tapered ends in the back of the block rather than the front?

I too think there is something wrong with the oil system. There is a massive restriction or oil loss in there somewhere.

ianxy351

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 18th 2012, 6:40 pm

The A460 FRPP blocks do not use the same front plugs of the production blocks.......all plugs are the same.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 18th 2012, 6:52 pm

I would pull it apart now to find the problem before it cost him a hell of a lot more later, but I know some people are just to lazy so that the way it is.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 18th 2012, 9:56 pm

the Coug wrote:I would pull it apart now to find the problem before it cost him a hell of a lot more later, but I know some people are just to lazy so that the way it is.....

Shocked Easy Coug.............. Laughing
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 18th 2012, 10:14 pm

Well went out and checked the Vertical hole on the back Charlie talked about and I can drop a 6" screwdriver down the hole so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
As Rick stated I put a hose from the side of the block up to the back port and spun the drill and had 90 psi coming off that T Fitting on the back cold.

I have no idea whats going on.

I will probabaly pull the engine in the next few weeks and try to find whats going on.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 18th 2012, 11:27 pm

I'd run it.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore October 18th 2012, 11:33 pm

I am kind of thiking a I will Lem, But I can't figure out where the issue is and thats eating my ASS
Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss October 19th 2012, 12:01 am

Just went back and read this again.

You state that if you put a solid plug at either end of the lifter gallery you end up with zero pressure on the gauge.

If this is indeed an A460 block that rear port should see full pump pressure at all times. It connects to the main priority gallery directly.

The fact that the pressure goes to zero when you plug the lifter gallery tells me that there is no crossover to the main gallery in the back of your block. It does not matter how deep the hole is if it doesnt intersect the main gallery.

It sounds just like an Eliminator block where you see pressure back there after everything bleeds past the lifters etc. Been there done that.

On my A460 block the passage that is drilled down through the valley in the little tower did not intersect and I only had oil to the passenger side lifters.

Stuff happens. Check everything.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jason October 19th 2012, 12:05 pm

Tore wrote:Are you running a solid roller cam and roller rockers?

Tore
if you're asking me this ,yes.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2