The right carburetor

Go down

The right carburetor

Post  Super Snake Steve on September 27th 2012, 11:18 pm

Any one out there with carburetor skills I'd like some input
I have a 429 scj .030 over TRW pistons solid cam a bit bigger than stock not custom RPM range 3800 to 7400 heads ported on exhaust side motors in a 1979 F 150 around 5200 pounds it's a 4X4 I'm looking at the Holley ultra street avenger 770 cfm
Vacuum advance is this a good choice or what looking for good advice thanks

Super Snake Steve

Posts : 141
Join date : 2012-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  dfree383 on September 27th 2012, 11:59 pm

What the specs on the cam? It sounds awful big for a 5200# truck.

You may have a real mismatch of parts.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  Super Snake Steve on September 28th 2012, 8:13 am

You might be right I was 20 when I built this motor that was 1985 it don't even have 10K miles on it runs great but and far as hooking up the way it should I need the change some things I'm looking for the cam card for all the info on it but the lift is and this is off memory like 563 I'll have to get you the rest.
I have 3 kids and the last one just moved out and they are all in school so it's time for me again I have kept this motor and truck that I have since 1979 so I'm getting this one restore and then build a smarter BBF

Super Snake Steve

Posts : 141
Join date : 2012-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  4604X4 on September 28th 2012, 4:34 pm

There are a couple of posts here on how to build/spec an engine for a 4x4 truck. I have one (look for my post. Something like "did I over cam/carb my truck"). Another recent thread is from 78F150 on this subject. Don't get caugh up in the "bigger is better" mindset. For truck the opposite is true.
I think the carb is fine. I have the bigger 870 Avenger but the vacuum secondaries allow for more mismatch than if you were to oversize with a double pumper.
Cam specs for a 4x4 should be somewhere around a max duration of 224 degrees at .050" and .550" rang valve lift works well. These are usually advartized as RPM range 0 to 5500 or 1000 to 6000 range, etc.
avatar
4604X4

Posts : 108
Join date : 2012-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 29th 2012, 1:41 am

Super Snake Steve wrote:Any one out there with carburetor skills I'd like some input
I have a 429 scj .030 over TRW pistons solid cam a bit bigger than stock not custom RPM range 3800 to 7400 heads ported on exhaust side motors in a 1979 F 150 around 5200 pounds it's a 4X4 I'm looking at the Holley ultra street avenger 770 cfm
Vacuum advance is this a good choice or what looking for good advice thanks


... how bout' one of these ??? ... affraid

avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  Super Snake Steve on September 30th 2012, 12:03 am

One of these would be great it I knew what it was buy the way what is that I think you got it off the space shuttle before they shipped it to LA

Super Snake Steve

Posts : 141
Join date : 2012-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 30th 2012, 12:43 am

Super Snake Steve wrote:One of these would be great it I knew what it was buy the way what is that I think you got it off the space shuttle before they shipped it to LA

... lol, no its not off the Space-Shuttle, but i hope it makes my 71' Space-Shuttle fly !!! ... i actually have my own line of custom billet carburetors, (AndersonPortDevelopment) and this is my spread billet dominator for a 572c.i. build we got going in my 71' Camaro ... its about 1330cfm ... the funny part is the engine is a Canted Valve (CV-1) headed Pontiac, lol ... those Chubby guys are gonna' kill me, lol ... Shocked

... the CV-1 heads started life with a C3 Ford Nascar intake port, they are pretty cool heads ... very high quality too ... the versions going on the 572 (CV-345/RacePlate) flow 470cfm/320cfm ... affraid
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  LivermoreDave on September 30th 2012, 9:16 am

dfree383 wrote:What the specs on the cam? It sounds awful big for a 5200# truck.

You may have a real mismatch of parts.

....... engine design / vehicle application ? ... scratch ...

IMO, a moderate 4X4 application camshaft, a dual plane type intake manifold and a reliable Holley 600 CFM vacuum secondary carburetor would put a Very Happy on your face! Ask yourself; how much time will the engine be at operating levels that it needs 700 CFM or more to operate?

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Posts : 972
Join date : 2009-09-27
Location : North of the Equator.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The right carburetor

Post  dfree383 on September 30th 2012, 9:33 am

LivermoreDave wrote:
dfree383 wrote:What the specs on the cam? It sounds awful big for a 5200# truck.

You may have a real mismatch of parts.

....... engine design / vehicle application ? ... scratch ...

IMO, a moderate 4X4 application camshaft, a dual plane type intake manifold and a reliable Holley 600 CFM vacuum secondary carburetor would put a Very Happy on your face! Ask yourself; how much time will the engine be at operating levels that it needs 700 CFM or more to operate?

Dave.

Heads are to big for the displacement, a set of lightly reworked Doves' would go better IMO. Also the cam is big for the displacement also.

a 545 Stroker kit would make everything work..... king
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14130
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum