A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 2:34 am

... hello guys, we've got a truck pull engine here in the shop, and i decided to see what i could get from the stock iron heads that were on the engine, i installed a 2.250 and the chamber is untouched still, and flow testing was done on a 4.375 bore ... i was very happy with the results so far, once i get the chamber worked i'll test it again and post any changes ...

... i've never ported a set of these heads, so i was a little surprized to say the least ... i would like to get some feed back from you guys, like what is the normal CFM of ported iron heads, valve sizes, HP, Torque, RPM etc ...


(4.375 bore)

.100 - 79.6
.200 - 149.8
.300 - 218.8
.400 - 263.9
.500 - 316.1
.600 - 351.5
.700 - 370.2
.800 - 383.6
.900 - 390.5
.950 - 395.7


((( P.S. ))) .... how do i get the pictures to load ??? .... i submitted the Query, but no pics ??? ... Sad



avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  bruno on September 28th 2012, 8:15 am

Nice work use photobucket to upload pics.... would love to see what the intake looks like
avatar
bruno
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10539
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 45
Location : MILLBROOK , AL.

View user profile http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  lghting94 on September 28th 2012, 9:12 am

Which Iron head? D0OE-R, D0VE-C, D2OE-AB, D3VE, D2VE, C8VE, Blue Thunder, EX-514
avatar
lghting94

Posts : 762
Join date : 2008-12-16
Location : Vine Grove Kentucky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  IDT-572 on September 28th 2012, 9:33 am

It looks by the numbers you laid the short turn back too much. You can get a little over 400 cfm by .850 lift if you work the bowl correctly. With your numbers peaking @ .950 I can tell the short side was worked on a smidge too much.

The Dooe-r is a killer stock head. I assume it's an SCJ head if its a passenger car head you are tha man............ Laughing
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 9:40 am

lghting94 wrote:Which Iron head? D0OE-R, D0VE-C, D2OE-AB, D3VE, D2VE, C8VE, Blue Thunder, EX-514

IDT-572 wrote:It looks by the numbers you laid the short turn back too much. You can get a little over 400 cfm by .850 lift if you work the bowl correctly. With your numbers peaking @ .950 I can tell the short side was worked on a smidge too much.

The Dooe-r is a killer stock head. I assume it's an SCJ head if its a passenger car head you are tha man............ Laughing



... it is a (D3VE-A2A) casting, what ever that is ?? ...





Last edited by twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  IDT-572 on September 28th 2012, 9:46 am

Shocked I have never seen numbers like that out of a set of D3's........... My hats off to you. Cool
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 9:55 am

IDT-572 wrote: Shocked I have never seen numbers like that out of a set of D3's........... My hats off to you. Cool


... thank you, i was looking at your Series 1500 head last night, HOLY CRAP !!! ... very nice !!! ... What a Face
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 10:02 am

bruno wrote:Nice work use photobucket to upload pics.... would love to see what the intake looks like


... thanks, i finally figured it out, lol ... Very Happy
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  IDT-572 on September 28th 2012, 10:03 am

twinturrbo406 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote: Shocked I have never seen numbers like that out of a set of D3's........... My hats off to you. Cool


... thank you, i was looking at your Series 1500 head last night, HOLY CRAP !!! ... very nice !!! ... What a Face

Those are not my heads but I have a set of the IDT A+ heads

John Cornell is the man that developed and cast those heads.
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  IDT-572 on September 28th 2012, 10:11 am

twinturrbo406 wrote:
lghting94 wrote:Which Iron head? D0OE-R, D0VE-C, D2OE-AB, D3VE, D2VE, C8VE, Blue Thunder, EX-514

IDT-572 wrote:It looks by the numbers you laid the short turn back too much. You can get a little over 400 cfm by .850 lift if you work the bowl correctly. With your numbers peaking @ .950 I can tell the short side was worked on a smidge too much.

The Dooe-r is a killer stock head. I assume it's an SCJ head if its a passenger car head you are tha man............ Laughing



... it is a (D3VE-A2A) casting, what ever that is ?? ...





That's a nice looking bowl, can you do that now eight times in a row Wink
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4581
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  bruno on September 28th 2012, 10:46 am



nice work
avatar
bruno
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10539
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 45
Location : MILLBROOK , AL.

View user profile http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 11:50 am

IDT-572 wrote:
twinturrbo406 wrote:
lghting94 wrote:Which Iron head? D0OE-R, D0VE-C, D2OE-AB, D3VE, D2VE, C8VE, Blue Thunder, EX-514

IDT-572 wrote:It looks by the numbers you laid the short turn back too much. You can get a little over 400 cfm by .850 lift if you work the bowl correctly. With your numbers peaking @ .950 I can tell the short side was worked on a smidge too much.

The Dooe-r is a killer stock head. I assume it's an SCJ head if its a passenger car head you are tha man............ Laughing



... it is a (D3VE-A2A) casting, what ever that is ?? ...





That's a nice looking bowl, can you do that now eight times in a row Wink


.... oh yes, i do it everyday all day long, lol, but really i just prefer to make the master-port, digitize it, locate it, and throw it in our 5-Axis RMC and let it make the other 7, lol ... Very Happy
.... that thing is way faster then me .... Shocked
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  cletus66 on September 28th 2012, 12:16 pm

Nice numbers. My D3's hit about 300 @ .500 lift and then started sounding funky at .600 lift, but it's OK because my car is slow. Laughing
avatar
cletus66

Posts : 796
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 51
Location : Charles City, Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 1:25 pm

cletus66 wrote:Nice numbers. My D3's hit about 300 @ .500 lift and then started sounding funky at .600 lift, but it's OK because my car is slow. Laughing

... i can fix that for you ??? ... Very Happy
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  5pointslow on September 28th 2012, 1:34 pm

so you have have a cnc program for cast iron heads ????
avatar
5pointslow

Posts : 1167
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 29
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 1:59 pm

5pointslow wrote:so you have have a cnc program for cast iron heads ????
... i just made this shape a few days ago but we will be digitizing it as soon as im done with the exhaust port and chamber ...
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  dfree383 on September 28th 2012, 2:22 pm

What are the angles on the valve job?

What bench?

What valve?

Those are some pretty awesome numbers for a D3
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13968
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  72puller on September 28th 2012, 2:51 pm

I have two questions. Why use such a big combustion chambered head on a truck pulling engine and why was the head flowed on such a small bore?
avatar
72puller

Posts : 105
Join date : 2009-08-16
Location : Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 3:13 pm

dfree383 wrote:What are the angles on the valve job?

What bench?

What valve?

Those are some pretty awesome numbers for a D3


... SF-1020 bench, Manley 2.250 valve, 50 degree seat ...
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 3:15 pm

72puller wrote:I have two questions. Why use such a big combustion chambered head on a truck pulling engine and why was the head flowed on such a small bore?

... these are the heads we have from the engine to use, we'll get the compression with the deck hgt. and the piston, once the head work is complete, we'll pull a chamber mold and have the pistons made for our needs ...

... the 4.375 bore was already in the stand, so i used it, i'm not done with the testing, which from this point will be mostly chamber modification and changes in bore size ... the port sounds really good with no back-ups at all, so i think i'm done with the port, depending on what the port map and FPS data looks like, i may shrink the 2nd choke point % up a little ...
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  res0rli9 on September 28th 2012, 9:15 pm

Well you just took the Mad-Porter to school.
.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3334
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 68
Location : sarasota FL.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 10:28 pm

res0rli9 wrote:Well you just took the Mad-Porter to school.
.


... the mad porter ?? ... confused
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 10:33 pm

5pointslow wrote:so you have have a cnc program for cast iron heads ????

... once i finish the chamber and exhaust port, yes, we will be able to CNC this port into iron cylinder heads, our RMC has a rigid-spindle with very large motors, iron is not a problem ...
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  Paul Kane on September 28th 2012, 10:47 pm

twinturrbo406 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:I assume it's an SCJ head...


... it is a (D3VE-A2A) casting, what ever that is ?? ...


I wish to make a note about the two cylinder head castings in question: Note in the above picture that the guide boss on the D3VE's intake runner is almost completely removed. I can readily confirm that this is certainly possible on the early passenger car castings (C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D3VE, etc). I can also readily confirm that it is not possbile on the D0OE-R castings...that is to say, if you attempt to lower the guide boss this much with the iron CJ head, you'll hit water (the guide bosses on the D0OE-R heads are hollow/part of the water jacket).

Paul

P.S: Also, this approach is for race shit only, meaning that the resulting valve guide length is shortened so greatly that guide life expectancy is reduced accordingly. This is not meant as criticism and frankly the above workmanship looks just fine; I only wish to clarify for the onlookers that work this extensive falls under "application specific" and/or "competition only." Cool
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 782
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: A.P.D. does an Iron 460 Ford Head (2.250 valve)

Post  twinturrbo406 on September 28th 2012, 11:06 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
twinturrbo406 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:I assume it's an SCJ head...


... it is a (D3VE-A2A) casting, what ever that is ?? ...


I wish to make a note about the two cylinder head castings in question: Note in the above picture that the guide boss on the D3VE's intake runner is almost completely removed. I can readily confirm that this is certainly possible on the early passenger car castings (C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D3VE, etc). I can also readily confirm that it is not possbile on the D0OE-R castings...that is to say, if you attempt to lower the guide boss this much with the iron CJ head, you'll hit water (the guide bosses on the D0OE-R heads are hollow/part of the water jacket).

Paul

P.S: Also, this approach is for race shit only, meaning that the resulting valve guide length is shortened so greatly that guide life expectancy is reduced accordingly. This is not meant as criticism and frankly the above workmanship looks just fine; I only wish to clarify for the onlookers that work this extensive falls under "application specific" and/or "competition only." Cool


... i agree, this is not a small amount of work, and app. specific is a perfect description i think, we are going to be pulling with this combo, i have heard other people talk about the "Liquid-Guides" in some Ford/460 stuff, i just wasnt sure which ones they were, thanks for the info ... some BBC stuff is that way too ...
avatar
twinturrbo406

Posts : 45
Join date : 2010-12-22
Location : Tennessee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum