BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin????

+3
LivermoreDave
c.evans
Curt
7 posters

Go down

Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin???? Empty Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin????

Post  Curt November 18th 2012, 2:25 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-7lgXGani4&lc=uaJG_0eU633B1uG-4FQCcoxq5tLGB-91KPMordWZuLk&feature=plcp
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin???? Empty Re: Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin????

Post  c.evans November 18th 2012, 11:49 pm

No Curt, he ain't our cousin. I don't know who he is. However, I will agree with the point he is trying to make. That valve job is screwed up! The guides are way too tight, and the seats in the heads are not concentric with the guide centerline. He just uses a crude way of explaining himself with all the cussing.

I will go on and say, that in all my years of cylinder head work, I do believe that Trick Flow Specialites is consistently one of the better companies in giving us an assembled cylinder head with a valve job that is correct. I'm saying that overall their "quality control" is very good.

Another thing that I would be doing,,,,notice where the spark plug threads continue all the way into the chambers? Those sharp jagged threads are potential hot spots and they should be ground and sanded out of there. The way to do that, is screw a dummy spark plug (5/8" X 3/4" reach, gasketed) into the head, make sure it is bottomed out and then grind/sand out the excess threads that are sticking out into the chamber.

Take care,
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin???? Empty Re: Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin????

Post  Curt November 19th 2012, 1:04 am

I just thought you'd be entertained. Very Happy
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave November 20th 2012, 7:26 am

c.evans wrote:No Curt, he ain't our cousin. I don't know who he is. However, I will agree with the point he is trying to make. That valve job is screwed up! The guides are way too tight, and the seats in the heads are not concentric with the guide centerline. He just uses a crude way of explaining himself with all the cussing.

Af first, the accent sounded like Charlie until he said "valve"! Simply illustrating his frustration .... in his way! It is an eye opening video and illustrates clearly problems someone could experience unknowingly.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  93lx460 November 20th 2012, 9:12 pm

I know this guy personally and we are currently working on building a 460 for my notch. His name is Tony Sizemore and his business is Headbytes out of Greenbrier, TN. He is porting a set of D3 heads for me using 2.19/1.72 valves maxxed out looking for 500-600 horse from stock stroke. He really knows his stuff when it comes to heads and can do impressive work on any make/brand out there. He's a character thats for sure LOL! Makes me laugh every time I talk to him.

93lx460

Back to top Go down

Uncle Charlie,,,,,,,,,,, is this our cousin???? Empty So called "complete" heads.

Post  Mike Phillips November 27th 2012, 1:42 am

I have never seen a valve job that bad from Dart, I wonder if they were some EBAY specials.
I will agree with him on the point of not buying a complete head. I have seen problems from Dart, RHS, Edelbrock, TFS, Indy and Brodix etc. and I won't start on the Chinese stuff.
I see a lot of guide clearance problems, wrong installed height, seats not pressed in all the way etc.
You have to make sure that the guy that is doing your heads has the expertise to match up the parts you need for your application (do you need Titainium for the RPM you will run, do you need Inconel exhaust for a blower), properly prepare them before assembly (guides honed and valve job) and assemble them with the right seals, shims, locators etc.
I can't tell you how many times Phillip or Charlie has had me to fix someone elses screw-up, be it from the manufacturer or another machine shop.

Mike Phillips
Automotive Machine & Performance

Mike Phillips

http://www.automachperf.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane November 29th 2012, 12:55 pm

The points being brought up in that video are the norm, not the exception. What I mean by this is most heads sold bare are as incomplete and unfinished as he points out; they are not normally ready to assemble.

The problem is that the end users of these parts are usually unaware of a bare head's unfinished state and so they balk at the price quote to "simply assemble" a set of bare heads. In reality, there is almost always a tremendous amount of prep work, measuring, checking, re-measuring and re-checking, re-setting and refitting that goes into cylinder head setup that the customer is often unaware of and does not appreciate.

I think one of the video's primary purposes is to educate the end users of these facts about new aftermarket heads that are regularly sold bare.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBoy460 November 29th 2012, 8:44 pm

wow that scares the crap out of me, I have my own business in construction and I alway have to baby sit other peoples work and I know what to look for, and since this is my first build watching this video makes me more nervous about what I have to learn so that I dont miss anything glad I got to see that video

BigBoy460

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down