521vs545

Go down

521vs545

Post  qwik347 on February 20th 2013, 10:12 pm

Need help on deciding on a 521 or a 545 for drag racing in a 88 mustang will be using p51 heads ?

qwik347

Posts : 6
Join date : 2010-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  Tennessee Bullitt on February 20th 2013, 10:25 pm

drag only? If so go for cubes, street strip I like the 521, but 545 would be great. You have p51's go for 545. I am guessing a stock block?
avatar
Tennessee Bullitt

Posts : 582
Join date : 2009-08-25
Location : Ft Knox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  qwik347 on February 20th 2013, 10:41 pm

Thats what i was thinking yes its a stock block.

qwik347

Posts : 6
Join date : 2010-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  Tennessee Bullitt on February 20th 2013, 10:46 pm

the 521 will have a better rod, pistion ratio. There has been a few 545's exiting out of the bottom of the engine with stock 2 bolt engines. My 521 ran awsome for 2 years. The crank and rods didn't even need anything when it cam out of my d1VE block. Lem talked me into going with the 521 set-up. Hopefully others will chime in for ya to give you more info.
avatar
Tennessee Bullitt

Posts : 582
Join date : 2009-08-25
Location : Ft Knox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  qwik347 on February 20th 2013, 11:01 pm

Thanks for ur help i was leaning towars the 4.3 stroke for that reason. I talk to lem other day for prices probaly be ordering tommorow. I want a solid 9 second car with some reliability if thats possible!!!! My buddy has 557 in a tube chassis car he wants me to a 521. Once again thanks this is my first bbf ford build

qwik347

Posts : 6
Join date : 2010-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  Tennessee Bullitt on February 21st 2013, 12:06 am

No problem, the 521 was my first build too.
avatar
Tennessee Bullitt

Posts : 582
Join date : 2009-08-25
Location : Ft Knox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  2fox on February 21st 2013, 6:46 am

What about a 521 compared to a 557 ? With stock block might as well go all the way am thinking, my first build also I like the 521 but a 528 sound a lot better 528SCJ .
ill be subbing here
what the differance weight for the iron block. Versus an aluminum block.?

2fox

Posts : 275
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 43
Location : Okla. the 405

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  rmcomprandy on February 21st 2013, 10:35 am

2fox wrote:What about a 521 compared to a 557 ? With stock block might as well go all the way am thinking, my first build also I like the 521 but a 528 sound a lot better 528SCJ .
ill be subbing here
what the differance weight for the iron block. Versus an aluminum block.?

In comparison, with all the same equipment, they will both usually make about the same peak horsepower BUT, the 557 will exhibit about 40 or so more lb/ft of torque.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  Larry Williams on February 21st 2013, 10:54 am

my aluminum block weighed 556 pounds the way it came off the dyno

there is a sticky on engine weights
avatar
Larry Williams

Posts : 884
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 73
Location : Wallacetown Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  2fox on February 22nd 2013, 1:45 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
2fox wrote:What about a 521 compared to a 557 ? With stock block might as well go all the way am thinking, my first build also I like the 521 but a 528 sound a lot better 528SCJ .
ill be subbing here
what the differance weight for the iron block. Versus an aluminum block.?

In comparison, with all the same equipment, they will both usually make about the same peak horsepower BUT, the 557 will exhibit about 40 or so more lb/ft of torque.
Torque is what moves mass. A 557 with a set of super cobra jet heads from summit give me excellent Tq.? What's Max compression with 93 gas?
smaller heads give better Tq. And velocity right?

2fox

Posts : 275
Join date : 2012-01-04
Age : 43
Location : Okla. the 405

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  plovett on February 22nd 2013, 6:57 pm

Torque is what moves mass.

So will 500 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm accelerate a car as fast as 500 ft/lbs at 6000 rpm then?

paulie

plovett

Posts : 65
Join date : 2009-08-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  maverick on February 22nd 2013, 7:02 pm

plovett wrote:
Torque is what moves mass.

So will 500 ft/lbs at 3000 rpm accelerate a car as fast as 500 ft/lbs at 6000 rpm then?

paulie

Well said.

HP = torque X rpm / 5252.

Just food for thought.
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  rmcomprandy on February 22nd 2013, 8:55 pm

qwik347 wrote:Need help on deciding on a 521 or a 545 for drag racing in a 88 mustang will be using p51 heads ?

To me ... that would depend upon a lot of OTHER things.
Some things like, What is in the rest of the vehicle; transmission and such and is it for 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile drags.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 521vs545

Post  ronrobart on February 25th 2013, 6:21 pm

big Torque at a high RPM,moves mass fast. which is cu.in plus airflow=HORSEPOWER.

ronrobart

Posts : 7
Join date : 2013-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum