BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

+12
4speed
Bret Powell
dutchman
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
c.evans
GT300TD
maverick
QtrWarrior
bbf-falcon
dfree383
Paul Kane
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet  Empty Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

Post  4speed February 23rd 2013, 12:48 am

I have a friend that is die hard mopar & we were "bench pulling" the other night, we have a pulling class that requires the use of factory iron heads, no across the counter iron heads from mopar etc.(must have been used on a car or truck that came down the assembly line), anyways the cubic inch limit is 475 ci 4150 carb. He claims that the original 426 iron hemi heads ported would be leaps & bounds better than the iron cobra jets ported. Now since I don't know squat about a hemi head or how they would stack up against the cobra jets-I thought I would see if any of you guys have any idea.

I know Bret & some others are getting some pretty good power from the cobra jets, so I just don't see the hemi heads running off from them...Am I wrong?
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet  Empty Re: Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

Post  Paul Kane February 23rd 2013, 1:07 am

Kind of an odd comparison, don't you think? Why not compare the Mopar iron hemi head to the Boss iron hemi head. That seems much more logical.

If you must compare the Cobra Jet head to the 426 Hemi head then I have just one question: will this 475 cubic in engine be naturally aspirated on gas or will that 4150 carb be feeding a supercharged alcohol engine? Big difference in preferred cylinder head there, and your Mopar buddy might not like the answer if the engine is a carbs and gas deal.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet  Empty Re: Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

Post  4speed February 23rd 2013, 1:24 am

Just a 4150 carb on gas, naturally aspirated. No alcohol allowed-A
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 23rd 2013, 3:55 am

The factory iron chisler hemi heads I've seen on the bench are hideous......... Tell your buddy it build one and put it on the pump.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 23rd 2013, 8:51 am

dfree383 wrote:The factory iron chisler hemi heads I've seen on the bench are hideous......... Tell your buddy it build one and put it on the pump.

Dave,you spelled Chrysler WRONG. Now you know this shits NOT gonna fly as long as da Coug is the forum English/spelling instructor. Getur act together bro. Razz lol!

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior February 23rd 2013, 9:20 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
dfree383 wrote:The factory iron chisler hemi heads I've seen on the bench are hideous......... Tell your buddy it build one and put it on the pump.

Dave,you spelled Chrysler WRONG. Now you know this shits NOT gonna fly as long as da Coug is the forum English/spelling instructor. Getur act together bro. Razz lol!

Actually..... Chisler is an old nick name for them Dad used...
Pretty common term OLD racers used..lol
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 23rd 2013, 10:16 am

bbf-falcon wrote:

What Mikey said......... king
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 23rd 2013, 10:26 am

[quote=

Actually..... Chisler is an old nick name for them Dad used...
Pretty common term OLD racers used..lol[/quote]

It's just a DeSoto to me. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 23rd 2013, 10:39 am

dfree383 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:

What Mikey said......... king

Maybe so, but that don't fly w/da coug Laughing Around here we just call them NOpars. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 23rd 2013, 10:45 am

M ove O ver... P eople A re R acing.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 23rd 2013, 11:41 am

Come on guys please get back on the subject. I have some mopar friends and they're just as bad as cheby guys. I need some 'ammo' too.
Please study

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 23rd 2013, 11:44 am

GT300TD wrote: Come on guys please get back on the subject. I have some mopar friends and they're just as bad as cheby guys. I need some 'ammo' too.
Please study

tell him to build one and show us how bad it really is....... Hell it rarer to see than fords a a typical drag race!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 23rd 2013, 12:51 pm

Well, I typed up a nice thorough answer and tried to post it. Didn't go through, so here's the short answer.

1. Off the showroom floor in unported form, the 426 Hemi will outflow the Ford CJ heads on both the exhausts and the intakes.

2. In fully ported form, the Ford CJ will outflow the 426 Hemi on the intakes only.

3. In fully ported form the 426 Hemi will outflow the Ford CJ on the exhausts only.

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 23rd 2013, 1:17 pm

c.evans wrote:Well, I typed up a nice thorough answer and tried to post it. Didn't go through, so here's the short answer.

1. Off the showroom floor in unported form, the 426 Hemi will outflow the Ford CJ heads on both the exhausts and the intakes.

2. In fully ported form, the Ford CJ will outflow the 426 Hemi on the intakes only.

3. In fully ported form the 426 Hemi will outflow the Ford CJ on the exhausts only.

Charlie Evans

That's what I like.......the Reader's Digest version Wink

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 23rd 2013, 2:19 pm

4speed wrote:I have a friend that is die hard mopar & we were "bench pulling" the other night, we have a pulling class that requires the use of factory iron heads, no across the counter iron heads from mopar etc.(must have been used on a car or truck that came down the assembly line), anyways the cubic inch limit is 475 ci 4150 carb. He claims that the original 426 iron hemi heads ported would be leaps & bounds better than the iron cobra jets ported. Now since I don't know squat about a hemi head or how they would stack up against the cobra jets-I thought I would see if any of you guys have any idea.

I know Bret & some others are getting some pretty good power from the cobra jets, so I just don't see the hemi heads running off from them...Am I wrong?

YES ... they would.
Just look at some of the SS/AH Super Stockers running production iron hemi heads.
They are now over 1,000 horsepower with 440 cubic inches at 9,000+ RPM.

Charlie ... I don't think any CJ head will get to over 430 CFM and over 300 CFM @.350" on the intake side with a 2.240" valve but, I could be wrong.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchman February 23rd 2013, 3:41 pm

My Old Pile Aint Running is what I was told it stood for

dutchman

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior February 23rd 2013, 5:20 pm

I thought it was... Mostly Old Parts And Rust ..??
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell February 23rd 2013, 10:37 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

YES ... they would.
Just look at some of the SS/AH Super Stockers running production iron hemi heads.

Charlie ... I don't think any CJ head will get to over 430 CFM and over 300 CFM @.350" on the intake side with a 2.240" valve but, I could be wrong.

Here is a link to some of what they are doing. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0801_super_stock_hemi_engine_build/photo_08.html

Now with somewhat of an unlimited budget, custom tunnel ram and two carbs, I believe the same horsepower could be achieved with the D0OE-R.

But, I could be wrong! Bret

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 23rd 2013, 10:40 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
4speed wrote:I have a friend that is die hard mopar & we were "bench pulling" the other night, we have a pulling class that requires the use of factory iron heads, no across the counter iron heads from mopar etc.(must have been used on a car or truck that came down the assembly line), anyways the cubic inch limit is 475 ci 4150 carb. He claims that the original 426 iron hemi heads ported would be leaps & bounds better than the iron cobra jets ported. Now since I don't know squat about a hemi head or how they would stack up against the cobra jets-I thought I would see if any of you guys have any idea.

YES ... they would.

how much welding is done to the iron hemi heads, how much are the cam lobes moved? Saying a super stock hemi is stock is like saying pigs can fly.......bullshit. Bring me a real stock one and make the same claim.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 24th 2013, 1:00 pm

dfree383 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

YES ... they would.

how much welding is done to the iron hemi heads, how much are the cam lobes moved? Saying a super stock hemi is stock is like saying pigs can fly.......bullshit. Bring me a real stock one and make the same claim.

The original question here was about factory CAST IRON cylinder heads and the comparison of their CAPABILITIES; NOT anything to do with budget or extending the comparison to what else is done to any engine. The valves and ports remain in stock production location and the heads reach those flow numbers while retaining production CC volume size: (although the shape of the port has been very refined). That certainly is NOT bullshit.
This power level is also with a shallow wet sump and NO crankcase air pump to help it out.

A Ford CJ head MAY get there however, anybodies theory and what has actually been done are two completely different scenarios. Apples and oranges which can't possibly be debated with any accuracy.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  4speed February 24th 2013, 2:29 pm

Sounds to me that it would basically come down to how much coin a guy has to throw at the hemi or the dooe-r. Generally speaking how much would a guy have to throw at the hemi heads to make the same power the cj head would pretty much maxed out (I know maxed out is a relative term).

Randy, if I were to send you both heads & said I want to spend 1500-1800 in port work on the cj's & then approximately how much would it take to get the hemi's to out power them. Would it be in the same ball park $$ or less,more? If a guy were trying to get to say 850+ hp w/ the 475ci 4150 carb what would it take, considering that the rest of the stuff done to the engines were built to accommodate that power level? or is there too many variables to give a good answer.-A
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 24th 2013, 6:02 pm

4speed wrote:Sounds to me that it would basically come down to how much coin a guy has to throw at the hemi or the dooe-r. Generally speaking how much would a guy have to throw at the hemi heads to make the same power the cj head would pretty much maxed out (I know maxed out is a relative term).

Randy, if I were to send you both heads & said I want to spend 1500-1800 in port work on the cj's & then approximately how much would it take to get the hemi's to out power them. Would it be in the same ball park $$ or less,more? If a guy were trying to get to say 850+ hp w/ the 475ci 4150 carb what would it take, considering that the rest of the stuff done to the engines were built to accommodate that power level? or is there too many variables to give a good answer.-A

The cost of porting the cylinder heads would be almost the same as the CNC machine doesn't care.
I just had a pair of D0OE-R heads CNC ported and they need a bit of epoxy shaping just to get air flows close; (and that certainly isn't keeping the port volume of either head the same as was OEM produced). Brazing in the exhaust ports is the same cost and the Fords need it a whole lot more than the hemi heads do..

Most of the cost of that kind of power level would be in the rest of the valve train and the engine underneath them.
AND, of course, all the development time.

I can tell you for sure, that an 800 horsepower Ford big block with a CJ headed, single 780cfm 4150 carbed, 429 cubic inch engine is and has been done in NHRA Super Stock..

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair March 4th 2013, 3:56 pm

Look at FAST, Lane's car has the record. The Hemi Chicken has two carbs too!

The 4150 carb will be the equalizer.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell March 4th 2013, 9:06 pm

I do not know exactly what happened with Lane's deal, but I do know he had more on tap with the lastest motor. Lane was dealing with back issues.

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 4th 2013, 9:40 pm

Lane's car is one bad dude for sure, hope all is well, and he continues to run it. Didn't you do a little work on those heads Bret?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next