Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 25th 2013, 10:48 pm

We have a class over here called true street, car must be standard chassis....naturally aspirated, no tubs or engine bay mods of any kind, 3500 pound min weight.
The only car we can use has shocker towers similar to a 69 Mustang.... Crying or Very sad which cannot be cut.....


What power do you estimate we could make with the following;

Cast block
Wet sump, vac pump
Any Head, manifold, carbs
Any fuel



Cheers, George.


Last edited by Blownshotgun on April 16th 2013, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 25th 2013, 10:55 pm

With an unlimited budget and plenty of maintence..... 1200-1400 depending on the displacement should be achievable.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 25th 2013, 11:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:With an unlimited budget and plenty of maintence..... 1200-1400 depending on the displacement should be achievable.

Not scared of maintenance but would rather not change valve springs every 3 runs.... Wink

Would like to know if 1300 is possible, & what components it would take to get it there.
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 25th 2013, 11:06 pm

Phillip did a c460 headed one with a single 4 that did 1205 at 640", up grade to a sheet metal 2x4 set-up and maybe some Thor heads?

You should be able to get more than 3 runs out of valve springs, I'm more referring to don't expect to go a full season with nothing but oil changes ! Laughing
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 25th 2013, 11:12 pm

Do you think the Thors maybe too big for an N/A Deal?

What about the Profilers, are they worth the extra cost compared to the C's?
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  maverick on February 25th 2013, 11:18 pm

Unmolested shock towers are gonna make a good set of headers for that thing a "special kind of fun". Exclamation
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3052
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 25th 2013, 11:21 pm

maverick wrote:Unmolested shock towers are gonna make a good set of headers for that thing a "special kind of fun". Exclamation


So true!!! Not to mention the cost on HP............. Crying or Very sad
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  rmcomprandy on February 26th 2013, 12:22 am

Blownshotgun wrote:
dfree383 wrote:With an unlimited budget and plenty of maintence..... 1200-1400 depending on the displacement should be achievable.

Not scared of maintenance but would rather not change valve springs every 3 runs.... Wink

Would like to know if 1300 is possible, & what components it would take to get it there.

You do not want to change valve springs every 3 runs but, you're not scared of maintenance. scratch .
So, how about refreshing the entire engine every 15 runs or so ...? You would be building somewhat of a street Pro Stock type engine IF you are looking to be THE fast guy..

Otherwise ... "Max Effort" has an entirely different definition than what I am familiar with.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5176
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 26th 2013, 12:53 am

That's why i'm asking, to see what it would take.......it's purely hypothetical at the moment.

Could be wrong but i wouldn't think a 1300 hp 650 inch motor would need a complete overhaul every 15 runs?
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 26th 2013, 2:01 am

If you can keep the rpm down, I wouldnt think the overhaul frequency would be that much, I'd think you could go 100 passes depending on the components, between teardowns and figure valve springs every 8-10 runs or so.

and as far as Thor heads being to big, out of the box they might be, but by the time the head guy is done with them they will be right.

This motor your looking for is not an off the shelf bolt together build.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  BOSS 429 on February 26th 2013, 2:03 am

Blownshotgun wrote:Do you think the Thors maybe too big for an N/A Deal?

What about the Profilers, are they worth the extra cost compared to the C's?


WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT A WEDGE HEAD?

WHY?
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2238
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  c.evans on February 26th 2013, 2:23 am

Maybe a good reason why George is thinking wedge head, is because there is a lot of really good running big horsepower wedge headed engines out there,,,,with Thor,,, Pro-Filer,,, and C-D or E-460 heads on them.

Maybe another good reason is because he said, 69 Mustang with factory shock towers that were uncut. If my memory is correct, Kar Kraft had to cut and modify the factory shock towers to get the Boss engine in the engine bay of the Boss 429 cars.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Posts : 2217
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 26th 2013, 3:00 am

dfree383 wrote:If you can keep the rpm down, I wouldnt think the overhaul frequency would be that much, I'd think you could go 100 passes depending on the components, between teardowns and figure valve springs every 8-10 runs or so.

and as far as Thor heads being to big, out of the box they might be, but by the time the head guy is done with them they will be right.

This motor your looking for is not an off the shelf bolt together build.

There is only 5 meetings per year, we'd probably only need to do 30 - 35 runs plus some testing.


BOSS 429 wrote:
Blownshotgun wrote:Do you think the Thors maybe too big for an N/A Deal?

What about the Profilers, are they worth the extra cost compared to the C's?


WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT A WEDGE HEAD?

WHY?

It'll be a massive task just trying to fit a wedge head.

c.evans wrote:Maybe a good reason why George is thinking wedge head, is because there is a lot of really good running big horsepower wedge headed engines out there,,,,with Thor,,, Pro-Filer,,, and C-D or E-460 heads on them.

Maybe another good reason is because he said, 69 Mustang with factory shock towers that were uncut. If my memory is correct, Kar Kraft had to cut and modify the factory shock towers to get the Boss engine in the engine bay of the Boss 429 cars.

Charlie

Absolutely Charlie, i don't mind spending money on good components.....if we'd have to sacrifice a little horsepower for a little less maintenance so be it.
I've seen you guys make 1200 with c-heads, what i'd like to know is if we spend the extra money on better heads & intake how substantial the gains would be?
Thanks.
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 26th 2013, 4:10 am

With the 35-40 run season, I'd say your major work would be a teardown in the off season for inspection and replacement (As necessary) and look at X number of valve spring changes and regular maintence during the season.

Your basicly looking at a typical PS motor program IMO.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  BOSS 429 on February 26th 2013, 3:49 pm

double post


Last edited by BOSS 429 on February 26th 2013, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2238
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  BOSS 429 on February 26th 2013, 3:50 pm

c.evans wrote:Maybe a good reason why George is thinking wedge head, is because there is a lot of really good running big horsepower wedge headed engines out there,,,,with Thor,,, Pro-Filer,,, and C-D or E-460 heads on them.

Maybe another good reason is because he said, 69 Mustang with factory shock towers that were uncut. If my memory is correct, Kar Kraft had to cut and modify the factory shock towers to get the Boss engine in the engine bay of the Boss 429 cars.

Charlie


Where does it say hes using a mustang?
No matter what headers will be a lot of work
avatar
BOSS 429

Posts : 2238
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Ill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  c.evans on February 26th 2013, 5:12 pm

Blownshotgun wrote:We have a class over here called true street, car must be standard chassis....naturally aspirated, no tubs or engine bay mods of any kind, 3500 pound min weight.
The only car we can use has shocker towers similar to a 69 Mustang.... Crying or Very sad which cannot be cut.....


What power do you estimate we could make with the following;

Cast block
Wet sump, vac pump
Any Head, manifold, carbs
Any fuel



Cheers, George.


George says it in his first post, second paragraph.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Posts : 2217
Join date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  Blownshotgun on February 26th 2013, 7:03 pm




This is the body style i'm thinking of using guys.
avatar
Blownshotgun

Posts : 51
Join date : 2010-08-11
Location : South Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  richter69 on February 26th 2013, 7:26 pm

he said "similar to a 69 mustang"......
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  procharger 528 on February 27th 2013, 12:44 am

XA falcon coupe nice car Cool
you can fit a C headed engine into a xa with out to much problems..i have done it before i tube framed my xa.
a set of custom headers and a special made spark plug spanner and you are away....
avatar
procharger 528

Posts : 36
Join date : 2010-04-26
Age : 54
Location : wellington - new zealand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 27th 2013, 12:46 am

I want one !!!
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  procharger 528 on February 27th 2013, 12:51 am

come down to this side of the world and they are nearly as common as a mustang.... Smile
avatar
procharger 528

Posts : 36
Join date : 2010-04-26
Age : 54
Location : wellington - new zealand

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 27th 2013, 12:58 am

procharger 528 wrote:come down to this side of the world and they are nearly as common as a mustang.... Smile

can you ship one for me? bounce
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  schmitty on February 27th 2013, 9:28 am

The darn steering wheel is on the wrong side. Laughing
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Max effort combo? Started collected bits...:)

Post  dfree383 on February 27th 2013, 9:58 am

schmitty wrote:The darn steering wheel is on the wrong side. Laughing

It on the right side.... you need to remember they drive upside down..... cheers
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum