BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?

4 posters

Go down

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?  Empty Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?

Post  colormebad March 10th 2013, 8:05 pm

Does it matter if the vaccum pump Relief Valve is facing downward, Like in the pic i have posted..Thats not my pump but mine is mounted on the other side with relief valve facing about as much downward or a little more like in the pic...

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?  AerospaceVacuumPump_zps4ac33b15

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?  Empty Re: Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?

Post  Rich Osmond March 14th 2013, 4:52 pm

Generally you would want to orient the pump so the suction is near the top (or at least above horizontal) and discharge near the bottom (or below horizantal). This aids in the passing of oil and/or water to the breather tank instead of accumulating in the pump itself.

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?  Empty Re: Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?

Post  colormebad March 14th 2013, 5:45 pm

Rich Osmond wrote:Generally you would want to orient the pump so the suction is near the top (or at least above horizontal) and discharge near the bottom (or below horizantal). This aids in the passing of oil and/or water to the breather tank instead of accumulating in the pump itself.

I kept thinking about that , so i just gave them a call..They said mount it in any direction i wanted...Said it wouldn't make any differance at all..

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 14th 2013, 6:13 pm

inlet on mine is at the top and the outlet on the side, no problems. it'll all get pushed out by the vanes.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice March 14th 2013, 8:43 pm

I try to keep mine at the 10 oclock and 2 oclock position on the fittings if room allows. The first vac pump I ever had was an Aerospace and I mounted it with the fittings at approx 12 oclock and 4 oclock ...... Short of the story the pump was noisey at an idle (900rpms) and the motor sounded like it had a knock.(car had mufflers) Give the car a little throttle and it would go away, sounded like a wrist pin going bad. Tried everything and finally figured the vanes were dropping in and out at the low rpm causing the noise with the pump mounted at that angle. You would have to take a vac pump apart to physically look at how the shaft is high in the pump and the vanes get slung out to the outside with more speed .............Switched it around and the noise was gone .........Cant say mounting it that way would hurt anything though.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 17th 2013, 1:36 pm

Vaccum Pump/Relief Valve Mounting ?  Effd584de9a9971cd7b4abda97eec771
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down