Harbor Frieght Winches

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harbor Frieght Winches

Post  69F100 on March 22nd 2013, 11:46 pm

Has anyone used the HR winches in there trailers I know the super winch is one of the best but not looking to spend that much on one that I hope I never need.But still don't want to buy one and need it to get the truck loaded and it not work.This is the one I am thinking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-vehicle-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68141.html

69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Harbor Frieght Winches

Post  Nevs on March 23rd 2013, 12:35 am

We used one of their 2000# el cheapo winches for years back when we started racing. Abused would be a better word actually. In those days, the car weighed 2450# and the thing just wouldn't die! I don't know about the 6000# one in your link, but the one we had was better than expected.

Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE on March 23rd 2013, 3:14 am

Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.

DILLIGASDAVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf on March 23rd 2013, 3:16 am

I used one of the ATV winches for the bed lift in my trailer. Within about 1 1/2 years the brake quit working on it and I only use the trailer a couple times a year. They are cheap but you get what you pay for imho. I only paid $48 or something but I wouldn't spend much on junk. I can't say as I would want one pulling my car.

jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon on March 23rd 2013, 6:23 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.

That suprises me.Dave. I have had 2 12,000#(HARBOR FREIGHT) winches and I have their wireless remotes that I use. I have loaded 200+ large and small vehicles w/it w/o any issues at all. That wireless remote is the shits,I can sit in or steer from the outside w/o any help.

The only thing I do , is when I unbox them (100' cable) I cut the cable in half ,because w/that much it WILL ball up on 1 side and could jam. 50' has been plenty for what I do. That way if you wear the cable out,you still have 50' left.

I think they are the best buy on the market for the price. jmo

bbf-falcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE on March 23rd 2013, 7:32 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Don't remember what weight/size it is but avoid the HF winch that has a wireless remote control. A friend bought one for his enclosed trailer and the remote control's wireless reciever box on the winch fried after only a few uses.

That suprises me.Dave. I have had 2 12,000#(HARBOR FREIGHT) winches and I have their wireless remotes that I use. I have loaded 200+ large and small vehicles w/it w/o any issues at all. That wireless remote is the shits,I can sit in or steer from the outside w/o any help.

The only thing I do , is when I unbox them (100' cable) I cut the cable in half ,because w/that much it WILL ball up on 1 side and could jam. 50' has been plenty for what I do. That way if you wear the cable out,you still have 50' left.

I think they are the best buy on the market for the price. jmo
It was disappointing it fried, the short time the wireless winch/remote did work it was a big help. Made it so much easier for one person to load the car.

DILLIGASDAVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 on March 23rd 2013, 8:27 am

I have a 2500lb ATV Harbor Frieght deal, it works fine, a bit slow but works fine...I drag in a 69 Mustang with a 351C street car or my Fox body, no issues at all........do wish i had a remote for it though.....one feature I dont like is the cable release....you better have some tension on the cable if empty or you might have a little tangle up on your hands.....Ive had it since 2008

NOS42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d on March 23rd 2013, 8:50 am

I bought one and it wouldn't pull shit, took it back for a another one [same size] and it has worked slow but it works, have it wired to run off of the truck battery, pulled my heavy ass comet up the trailer at norwalk when I broke last year,with remote and I think it is a 2000,or 2500 unit

dave d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird on March 23rd 2013, 9:23 am

I've got a 3000lb. one from Rural King. I'm sure it's about the same thing. I use it some and the wireless remote is the stuff!! I love it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat,well my girlfriend would Very Happy It was a birthday gift for me cheers She got it for $50 on sale Twisted Evil

56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney on March 23rd 2013, 12:05 pm

All the Chinese planetary ones are the same. all of them....warn superwinch mile marker hf doesn't matter. I have a Badlands 12k I bought at hf on my 53 ft Big Tex wedge and it will pull anything up on the trailer. I've pulled cars without wheels up on it a few times. Cut a 50 ft cotd and splice it into the remote and voila.

Barney

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 on March 23rd 2013, 2:26 pm

I just bought the Badlands 12k with wireless remote total was $331.97 on sale only $40 more than the 6k I was looking at so I just went with the 12k my truck sould never strain it.I went ahead and got the wireless remote that way I can sit in the truck and winch it in it was only $24.99 .They have the winch on sale right now for $299.99 so I decided to go ahead and get it.

69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon on March 23rd 2013, 3:15 pm

69F100 wrote:I just bought the Badlands 12k with wireless remote total was $331.97 on sale only $40 more than the 6k I was looking at so I just went with the 12k my truck sould never strain it.I went ahead and got the wireless remote that way I can sit in the truck and winch it in it was only $24.99 .They have the winch on sale right now for $299.99 so I decided to go ahead and get it.

You made a wise choice,I just yanked a junk Chevy 4wd truck on the trailer this morning w/back brakes froze up. The 12k's are plenty quick also.

bbf-falcon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney on March 23rd 2013, 6:30 pm

I drug a rolled ram 2500 diesel that no rear tires onto my trailer last week. Didnt even need a doubling block. I got the two year warranty with mine and don't plan to ever pay for another one. Just exchangr it every 18 months or so.thr american worm drives are badass but over a grand. If you do serious recovery stuff they're the ticket.

Barney

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 on March 23rd 2013, 11:56 pm

I have one of their units that you hook the unit to something stationary like the tow rig or front of the trailer, then hook the cable to your vehicle, it has pulled my 3240 lb truck onto a car trailer dozens of times with no issues, pulls pretty good actually and it was a $49. unit.

blown473

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE on March 24th 2013, 12:15 am

We once tried the box-like looking cheap HF winch that also comes with the mount that can be put over a trailer hitch ball. It would pull a decent amount of weight, but it was geared so steep it advanced the cable super slow & took forever to get a car on the trailer.

DILLIGASDAVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum