BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb?

+4
bbf-falcon
whitefield
richter69
bigjohn2007
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Carb? - Page 2 Empty Re: Carb?

Post  bigjohn2007 December 31st 2013, 8:03 pm

Well i finally got back on my car been busy.Hard get car running but when i do it runs good and i set the reg on 7 psi and the floats.leave it over night come back and i have one hell of time starting it Mad .So i leave the pump on and go look at fuel pressure it sitting on 12 psi wth.Act like it flooding to death try start then pops back thru carb.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 December 31st 2013, 8:10 pm

New12-704 reg. and bg fuel pump.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  norm January 1st 2014, 10:56 am

After you shut it off, can you see any fuel dripping out the boosters?
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 January 2nd 2014, 3:50 pm

norm wrote:After you shut it off, can you see any fuel dripping out the boosters?
Not check that but i will thanks
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  n5ifi January 13th 2014, 2:38 pm

My son bought a brand new Pro Systems Carb from Patrick for his SBF 408. (950 alcohol)
Had to replace both .150 needle and seats. They were junk and would never work correctly on a consistent basis.
Stuck all the time no matter what we did to stop it. Replaced them with Bo Laws titanium ball type needle and seats and they work perfect now.

About the same time he bought the 950 Pro Systems carb he sent his 950 quick fuel gas carb to Pro Systems be modified for use with alcohol.
Same exact problems with the N/S with this carb too.
Replaced the stock .150 N/S with Bo Laws Ball type N/S and no other problems.
We wasted about 4 test and tune sessions on these carbs before replacing the N/S.
Once that was done the carbs were perfect.
On gas 6 psi should be fine if you have a good fuel pump.
Raising the pressure to much actually lowers the amount of fuel in the bowl and causes aerated fuel.
6 psi has always worked for me even up into the 750 hp range.

Float level adjustments is very important no matter how remedial it seems to be.
To adjust
Loosen the lock screw on top of the fuel bowl just enough to allow you to turn the adjusting nut. Hold the screw in position with the screwdriver.
Using a 5/8” wrench, turn the adjusting nut in the appropriate direction: Clockwise to lower float and counterclockwise to raise float. Turn the adjusting nut in increments of 1/4 of a rotation. Retighten the lock screw.

n5ifi

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 1st 2014, 2:00 pm

n5ifi wrote:My son bought a brand new Pro Systems Carb from Patrick for his SBF 408. (950 alcohol)
Had to replace both .150 needle and seats. They were junk and would never work correctly on a consistent basis.
Stuck all the time no matter what we did to stop it. Replaced them with Bo Laws titanium ball type needle and seats and they work perfect now.

About the same time he bought the 950 Pro Systems carb he sent his 950 quick fuel gas carb to Pro Systems be modified for use with alcohol.
Same exact problems with the N/S with this carb too.
Replaced the stock .150 N/S with Bo Laws Ball type N/S and no other problems.
We wasted about 4 test and tune sessions on these carbs before replacing the N/S.
Once that was done the carbs were perfect.
On gas 6 psi should be fine if you have a good fuel pump.
Raising the pressure to much actually lowers the amount of fuel in the bowl and causes aerated fuel.
6 psi has always worked for me even up into the 750 hp range.

Float level adjustments is very important no matter how remedial it seems to be.
To adjust
Loosen the lock screw on top of the fuel bowl just enough to allow you to turn the adjusting nut. Hold the screw in position with the screwdriver.
Using a 5/8” wrench, turn the adjusting nut in the appropriate direction: Clockwise to lower float and counterclockwise to raise float. Turn the adjusting nut in increments of 1/4 of a rotation. Retighten the lock screw.
How can i tell what size needle and seats are in my carb??
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 1st 2014, 5:26 pm

bigjohn2007 wrote:Will it hurt anything to leave the fuel pump on until i can adjust the reg?

That depends upon whether or not it is a by-pass regulator or a restrictive, deadhead regulator.  
You can leave the pump on with a By-Pass regulator or if a small restriction to the tank is used in a return line with a restrictive, deadhead regulator ... NOT with a regularly plumbed restrictive, deadhead fuel regulator.

A restrictive, deadhead regulator WILL creep as it needs fuel running through it to regulate. With that kind of regulator there is NO problem as it is designed that way.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 2nd 2014, 11:05 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
bigjohn2007 wrote:Will it hurt anything to leave the fuel pump on until i can adjust the reg?

That depends upon whether or not it is a by-pass regulator or a restrictive, deadhead regulator.  
You can leave the pump on with a By-Pass regulator or if a small restriction to the tank is used in a return line with a restrictive, deadhead regulator ... NOT with a regularly plumbed restrictive, deadhead fuel regulator.

A restrictive, deadhead regulator WILL creep as it needs fuel running through it to regulate. With that kind of regulator there is NO problem as it is designed that way.
Thanks good info
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2