BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sleeving Eliminator Premiere block

+2
Frank Merkl
CDMBill
6 posters

Go down

sleeving Eliminator Premiere block Empty sleeving Eliminator Premiere block

Post  CDMBill June 11th 2013, 11:42 pm

I have a very early Eliminator Premiere block and dropped a Ti intake valve which in turn put a major ding in the cylinder wall. To save the block it'll need a sleeve maybe several as the shrapnel got into the other cylinders with several getting deep scratches. This will entail taking it from the current 4.560" to 4.6" and will get close to the max safe bore size.

Is there anything special to know with regard to sleeving one of these blocks?

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

sleeving Eliminator Premiere block Empty Re: sleeving Eliminator Premiere block

Post  Frank Merkl June 12th 2013, 12:03 am

my favourite motor is my old A460 block that I put all 8 sleeves in ,and I used Darton aluminium A96 sleeves as there all exactly 4.801" that way if I hurt a cylinder, its just matter of boring the sleeve out and putting another one in with no distortion to the adjacent cylinders been working for me for 20 years . and the Darton sleeve are real hard and hardly ever wear and ring seal is great!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill June 12th 2013, 1:42 am

Thank you. That is a helluva an idea.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill June 13th 2013, 6:50 pm

One other question, with eight sleeves is there any issue with water jacket sealing or deck stability. This is for a car that sees a lot of street and road miles.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 13th 2013, 7:41 pm

never ran out of cylinder wall at 4.800
 Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill June 23rd 2013, 12:37 pm

After some additional investigation and consulting with experts, you know who you are, the sleeve idea does not seem as attractive. The high nickel block material is considered to be just as good as the higher end sleeves, ductile iron etc.. Therefore given the sleeve will be around .080" and the remaining material in the affected cylinder will have to be bored out sufficiently accomodate the sleeve that means I'd end up with a .080" sleeve supprted by another ~.080" of original material at the thinest spot on the minor thrust side of the number one hole. It seems that .160" of solid contiguous block material which gets thicker rapidly both above and below the thin midpoint will be ther stronger choice, though not ideal.

Does anyone have experince with engines with that thin a wall survivng at the 1000-1100 HP level?

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. June 23rd 2013, 1:37 pm

Frank, how long have you been running the sleeves and at what hp ?
Twenty years?

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 23rd 2013, 1:54 pm

CDMBill wrote:After some additional investigation and consulting with experts, you know who you are, the sleeve idea does not seem as attractive. The high nickel block material is considered to be just as good as the higher end sleeves, ductile iron etc.. Therefore given the sleeve will be around .080" and the remaining material in the affected cylinder will have to be bored out sufficiently accomodate the sleeve that means I'd end up with a .080" sleeve supprted by another ~.080" of original material at the thinest spot on the minor thrust side of the number one hole. It seems that .160" of solid contiguous block material which gets thicker rapidly both above and below the thin midpoint will be ther stronger choice, though not ideal.

Does anyone have experince with engines with that thin a wall survivng at the 1000-1100 HP level?
I think your over thinking it, if you have one or two holes hurt and want to sleeve them to keep everything at 4.560, do it, its not going to hurt anything. Or even boring to 4.600 is no big deal, it will be fine.

The .040 you have staying at 4.56 is more than enough to rebuild for the rest of your life baring any catastrophic failure. Same with the 4.600.... the .025 od better you have left will general get you at least 5-6 freshings if the rest of the stuff lives that long.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 23rd 2013, 7:12 pm

CDMBill wrote:After some additional investigation and consulting with experts, you know who you are, the sleeve idea does not seem as attractive. The high nickel block material is considered to be just as good as the higher end sleeves, ductile iron etc.. Therefore given the sleeve will be around .080" and the remaining material in the affected cylinder will have to be bored out sufficiently accomodate the sleeve that means I'd end up with a .080" sleeve supprted by another ~.080" of original material at the thinest spot on the minor thrust side of the number one hole. It seems that .160" of solid contiguous block material which gets thicker rapidly both above and below the thin midpoint will be ther stronger choice, though not ideal.

Being that the .160" is at the minor trust side I'd think I't be okay. I thought the Eliminator block were susposted to be .200" 4.700"?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 24th 2013, 12:42 am

Been running my block since '93 , only has 1100-1200 passes on it at 1200-1650 HP ! 
 Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 24th 2013, 12:48 am

forgot to add , the motor has an honest 950- 1000 passes on it since I put the sleeves in at a bore of 4.6000"  , there now at 4.6035" , now put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. June 24th 2013, 2:56 am

Sold!

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill June 30th 2013, 11:38 am

dfree383 wrote:
I think your over thinking it, if you have one or two holes hurt and want to sleeve them to keep everything at 4.560, do it, its not going to hurt anything. Or even boring to 4.600 is no big deal, it will be fine.

The .040 you have staying at 4.56 is more than enough to rebuild for the rest of your life baring any catastrophic failure. Same with the 4.600.... the .025 od better you have left will general get you at least 5-6 freshings if the rest of the stuff lives that long.

Over thinking is pretty much my SOP. Most of the other cylinders had wall damage from little bits of valve material in the chambers and valve spring material on the skirts so an overbore for all the holes was going to happen regardless. So, we are taking it to 4.600 to take advantage of piston and ring package costs never mind a bit more unshrouding of the intake valve.

We'll just have to see if it lives on the next build. It'll be in a much lighter chassis this time and likely fewer street miles.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 30th 2013, 12:23 pm

You'll be fine.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 31st 2013, 9:56 pm

CDMBill...so, what did you do?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor August 15th 2013, 4:51 pm

Bill - why are they so thin in this Premier block? Aren't they supposed to go to 4.7 or so or is that this is, as you state, a very 'early' block?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down