Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Go down

Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  outlawbird on June 23rd 2013, 11:08 am

Hi all, looking to build my first BBF and looking to keep it fairly simple:D.  Lot's of reading & Searching  just added more questions.

I currently have nothing for a BB and need some advise to get started in the right direction.  First i need to pick me up a block and crank, what are the favored years to look for with in reason, not looking for the $2000 dove stuff either. something simple as stated.

My plans are to basicly build a 466 like Kaase did to show off his P-51's and then a little spray for cheby's if needed.

The parts i know i want in this build are the P-51 heads, Kaase oil pump, aftermarket rods because i think bushing the stockers are a waist of $$. Kasse spec'ed solid roller.

Lets hear your opinion's and experiances. The engine will be going in my pro-street'ed 65 mustang 3000lbs C-6 auto.

Thanks Brandon.
avatar
outlawbird

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-09-22
Age : 38
Location : Shenandoah VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  rmcomprandy on June 23rd 2013, 11:43 am

These days ... a truck..

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5142
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  dfree383 on June 23rd 2013, 12:02 pm

x2 D9TE Truck Blocks are the easy to fine, the D1VE blocks from 70's Cars and trucks are very plentiful too. only issue is the later D9 block will not clear the early internal balance cranks, but that's not an issue if your looking to buy a crank and rods any way I'd buy a stroker kit with Hbeam rods.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14160
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  outlawbird on June 23rd 2013, 12:22 pm

dfree383 wrote:x2 D9TE Truck Blocks are the easy to fine, the D1VE blocks from 70's Cars and trucks are very plentiful too. only issue is the later D9 block will not clear the early internal balance cranks, but that's not an issue if your looking to buy a crank and rods any way I'd buy a stroker kit with Hbeam rods.

 This is the info i need, my plan was is to use the crank from the engine i pick up and throw some cheap H-beam's in it with forged piston's to accept the P-51's, balance it and ride.

I really want a 557 but that's just a little pricey for my first build. If i can really build a 466 to pull the HP & TQ that the Kaase engine did that would be great and fairly low buck in the end.

I am not looking to set the world on fire with this engine but have a rather stout combo for the buck. Hell my little $1500 351w with a 200 pill in the same car runs 6.80s 1/8 mile. The BBF could and should do it all motor, add the same 200 pill 6.00s maybe high 5s.

Am i just dreaming here????
avatar
outlawbird

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-09-22
Age : 38
Location : Shenandoah VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  dfree383 on June 23rd 2013, 12:33 pm

Your only talking a few hundred dollars more to build the stroker over a 460, you need to buy pistons, Rods, Rings, Bearings and balance it either way. the only cost difference is the crank and by the time you recon a stock one it even becomes lees of a difference.

Its worth the little bit extra money, especially since you don't have a core crank already.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14160
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  bbf-falcon on June 23rd 2013, 12:42 pm

dfree383 wrote:Your only talking a few hundred dollars more to build the stroker over a 460, you need to buy pistons, Rods, Rings, Bearings and balance it either way. the only cost difference is the crank and by the time you recon a stock one it even becomes lees of a difference.

Its worth the little bit extra money, especially since you don't have a core crank already.

X2

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  cool40 on June 23rd 2013, 12:45 pm

I still see a lot of 68-70 stuff in my area. Big cars are good place for d0ve parts. Hard to tell a 429 from 460 tho Suspect
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  IDT-572 on June 23rd 2013, 2:13 pm

cool40 wrote:I still see a lot of 68-70 stuff in my area. Big cars are good place for d0ve parts. Hard to tell a 429 from 460 tho Suspect


There is no telling how many are just down the road from your house............  I couldn't believe it the first time I came down.Shocked
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  LivermoreDave on June 23rd 2013, 2:55 pm

As most are replying, concentrate on the earlier blocks, maybe better material, maybe not. The later (late 70's, early 80's) may have longer cylinders and I'm not sure of the options available if you desire to increase stroke. Now you did mention spray, if spray is a part of your future, now is a good time to think your build, before you start!

Just another two cents,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Posts : 972
Join date : 2009-09-27
Location : North of the Equator.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  outlawbird on June 23rd 2013, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys, So what year cylinder blocks are more popular for a 500+ CID build?
avatar
outlawbird

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-09-22
Age : 38
Location : Shenandoah VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  Lem Evans on June 23rd 2013, 6:44 pm

They are ~ the same unless one could find a SCJ 4 bolt main block. The 'truck' block would be better if a guy was gonna do a 4.5" with a 6.7" rod.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  outlawbird on June 23rd 2013, 7:06 pm

Lem Evans wrote:They are ~ the same unless one could find a SCJ 4 bolt main block. The 'truck' block would be better if a guy was gonna do a 4.5" with a 6.7" rod.


Thanks Lem, this is what i was looking for. Them boys^^^^^^ got me thinking on a 545 build with P-51s.
avatar
outlawbird

Posts : 24
Join date : 2010-09-22
Age : 38
Location : Shenandoah VA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  jeffgfg on June 23rd 2013, 8:15 pm

Instead of going to the trouble of finding a 429/460 engine and tearing it down, getting it cleaned, sonic checked, etc. beings that you are going to replace everything other than the block, (if you go the stroker route) just call Paul Kane and get one of his 4 bolt main prepped blocks. All you would have to do is bore it to match your pistons. Way less hassle than doing all that other work and probably  cheaper in the long run. Plus you get the peace of mind of 4 bolt mains. JMHO!!

jeffgfg

Posts : 316
Join date : 2010-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  BigBlockRanger on June 24th 2013, 11:23 am

dfree383 wrote:Your only talking a few hundred dollars more to build the stroker over a 460, you need to buy pistons, Rods, Rings, Bearings and balance it either way. the only cost difference is the crank and by the time you recon a stock one it even becomes lees of a difference.

Its worth the little bit extra money, especially since you don't have a core crank already.

This is exactly why my 460 project turned into a 545.  85 extra cubes for very little more money?    Yes please.  Very Happy
avatar
BigBlockRanger

Posts : 705
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : Amarillo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  cool40 on June 24th 2013, 10:49 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
cool40 wrote:I still see a lot of 68-70 stuff in my area. Big cars are good place for d0ve parts. Hard to tell a 429 from 460 tho Suspect


There is no telling how many are just down the road from your house............  I couldn't believe it the first time I came down.Shocked

lots of old ford junk in that yard.i should go take some pic's and make everybody cry!Laughing
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  IDT-572 on June 24th 2013, 11:48 pm

cool40 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
cool40 wrote:I still see a lot of 68-70 stuff in my area. Big cars are good place for d0ve parts. Hard to tell a 429 from 460 tho Suspect


There is no telling how many are just down the road from your house............  I couldn't believe it the first time I came down.Shocked

lots of old ford junk in that yard.i should go take some pic's and make everybody cry!Laughing

I couldn't believe it when I got to the intersection and started seeing all of them............Shocked
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  dfree383 on July 9th 2013, 12:53 am

IDT-572 wrote:
cool40 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
cool40 wrote:I still see a lot of 68-70 stuff in my area. Big cars are good place for d0ve parts. Hard to tell a 429 from 460 tho Suspect


There is no telling how many are just down the road from your house............  I couldn't believe it the first time I came down.Shocked

lots of old ford junk in that yard.i should go take some pic's and make everybody cry!Laughing

I couldn't believe it when I got to the intersection and started seeing all of them............Shocked

I can just see it now..... Blake looking like a "Fat Kid in a Pie Shop" eyes wide open !Laughing Laughing 
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14160
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Best vehicle's to source a 460 engine from?

Post  69F100 on July 9th 2013, 1:54 am

I got one you can drop in and go racing not sure the weight of your ride but mine ran 6.72 in the 1/8 in a 3265# ranger I have it listed in the sale section. Cheap you can run it until you get parts to build it bigger.
avatar
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 5147
Join date : 2009-01-04
Age : 51
Location : Irwinville Ga.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum