BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with ford truck mini starter

+3
bbf-falcon
85bigblockfox
77f150
7 posters

Go down

Help with ford truck mini starter Empty Help with ford truck mini starter

Post  77f150 June 27th 2013, 9:27 pm

The story starts with the clutch drive going in my Powermaster Ultra Torque starter, it started to grind when I was heading to the shop to change some rad hoses. It was Saturday and nowhere to get parts but we found my old starter in the storage pile and bolted it on, everything worked great. Since everyone was saying how great the '95 Ford F250 starter was I decided to order one and get the benefit of a lifetime warranty. Well bolted it on and it would start the truck but would drag for three or four seconds before disengaging, thinking it might be just a bad starter I exchanged it and got another one but it was the same. Now looking at them closer I noticed that the '95 starter has 10 teeth while the stock one has nine.

Some details; the truck had a 351M which lunched its rods and I dropped a late '70's 460 in it, it currently has a Hays 164 tooth flexplate in front of the C6. The Power Master mini starter has 9 teeth, the stock 351M starter has 9 teeth and the starter I had tried was a '95 Ford F250 with auto trans (10 teeth). Anyone have any idea which starter I should order? The Ultra Torque is rebuilt but after 4 swaps and the old original starter working and sounding great I'm not changing anything until I'm sure.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Help with ford truck mini starter Empty Re: Help with ford truck mini starter

Post  85bigblockfox June 28th 2013, 11:36 am

If the starter is staying engaged after the engine starts I bet you have a wire on the wrong post. Maybe Jon will post about this he helped me out with mine. It was doing the same thing.
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 28th 2013, 12:40 pm

If you are using a auto starter on a standard bell,it probably isn't engaging the flywheel properly.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole June 28th 2013, 3:43 pm

How is wired? The Ford mini starter will hang and run on when engaged if not wired a certain way. The Powermaster/CVR. Hitachi and Denso style etc starters do not have to be wired the same. If you use a jumper wire from the starter to the solenoid on the Ford starter like I do on my CVR Denso style starter it will hang and run on.

The Ford starter must be wired so that the small wire to the solenoid on the starter goes to the starter relay switch on the fender instead of just jumping from the solenoid on the starter to the motor on the starter.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 June 28th 2013, 10:32 pm

David Cole wrote:How is wired?   The Ford mini starter will hang and run on when engaged if not wired a certain way.  The Powermaster/CVR. Hitachi and Denso style etc starters do not have to be wired the same.   If you use a jumper wire from the starter to the solenoid on the Ford starter like I do on my CVR Denso style starter it will hang and run on.  

The Ford starter must be wired so that the small wire to the solenoid on the starter goes to the starter relay switch on the fender instead of just jumping from the solenoid on the starter to the motor on the starter.

Thank-you, I'll give that a try this week.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole June 29th 2013, 11:06 am

Video that does a better job of explaining it then I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S630atDFy_8
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 June 29th 2013, 2:44 pm

David Cole wrote:Video that does a better job of explaining it then I do.

That's excellent, thank-you.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 June 29th 2013, 2:50 pm

77f150 wrote:
David Cole wrote:Video that does a better job of explaining it then I do.

That's excellent, thank-you.

Yep, if you jumper the big post on the starter to the smaller coil post, the starter will actually power the solenoid itself, causing it to hang.  Being that the starter is a permanent-magnet motor, as soon as you cut power to it, it becomes a generator rather than a motor, powering the solenoid & holding it engaged.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  460bronco June 30th 2013, 8:07 am

Why would you want to include the original starter solenoid on the fenderwell in the circuit like the video does? Just seems a little Rube Goldberg....
460bronco
460bronco

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 30th 2013, 1:08 pm

460bronco wrote:Why would you want to include the original starter solenoid on the fenderwell in the circuit like the video does?  Just seems a little Rube Goldberg....

It just helps from having to rewire a street ride for the charging system and any other assy controlled by the fender solenoid
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 August 12th 2013, 3:51 pm

460bronco wrote:Why would you want to include the original starter solenoid on the fenderwell in the circuit like the video does?  Just seems a little Rube Goldberg....
Well I can answer this one now, it's in case you do the wiring change and the PowerMaster Ultra Torque doesn't work right, or the F250 mini starter also doesn't work right and you end up back to the stock style starter. I appreciate all the help, the video made the wiring a breeze but the starters just never sounded correct.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down