BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?

4 posters

Go down

Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?  Empty Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?

Post  colormebad July 2nd 2013, 1:53 pm

Have a friend with one side only, weeping a very very small amount of oil on drivers side toward back...He said he never re-tq'd the heads after running with new rebuild...He said it only shows a very small amount of oil every week or so , but never leaks in the floor...Think a re-tq will fix this..I always tq my cometic's 120 with 3owt oil...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?  Empty Re: Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?

Post  dfree383 July 2nd 2013, 2:39 pm

Definitely won't hurt.

can you see exactly where the leak is coming from? Is the intake the culprit?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 2nd 2013, 4:23 pm

dfree383 wrote:Definitely won't hurt.

I never seen it run or drip...Just can see where a very small amount is on the block a little...Its about an 1" or 2 before the back of the head ends...I call cometic & they said they never heard of this...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 3rd 2013, 12:55 am

colormebad wrote:

I never seen it run or drip...Just can see where a very small amount is on the block a little...Its about an 1" or 2 before the back of the head ends...I call cometic & they said they never heard of this...

On the back (End) or at the bottom (exhaust) ?

I've had then drip a little water at the rivets on one engine years ago. Sure its ont a little bit of oil dripping from the valve covers?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 3rd 2013, 2:12 am

dfree383 wrote:
colormebad wrote:

On the back (End) or at the bottom (exhaust) ?

I've had then drip a little water at the rivets on one engine years ago. Sure its ont a little bit of oil dripping from the valve covers?

I looked it over real good for the past 6 hours...I wiped it off good the night before, and it was just a small bit that you could rub off with your finger, between the head and block, its below the last head bolt on the driver side, between the block and head & running off where u can see it...I looked all around the valve covers & intake and its bone dry..Never ever had a head gasket to leak any oil ever..Its just strange how it can be leaking that low, when the oil return is up at top..The car hasn't been ran since last week..

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 3rd 2013, 2:43 am

I'd suspect a little is leaking up by the intake / china wall and channeling down the outside of the gasket.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 3rd 2013, 5:07 pm

dfree383 wrote:I'd suspect a little is leaking up by the intake / china wall and channeling down the outside of the gasket.

Part i dont understand, oil has to be coming from where oil is standing...This car hasn't ran in over a week. But every 12 hours i go back and a small oil spot in this area where i have in this link...

Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?  HeadLeak_zpsc38c3045

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Cometic Gasket Weeping Oil ?  Empty oil

Post  460pulling July 3rd 2013, 6:43 pm

Did u use oil to torque? Could it be oil from the threads wicking its way out?

460pulling

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 3rd 2013, 7:10 pm

I'm not sure about the 'leak' but, torqueing the heads to ~ 135 lbs. ft. would be better i.m.o.

I will say that the oil drain back should not be a pressure area like an oil gallery or water jacket and would not be prone to a leak unless the deck of the head or block is f'ed up

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 3rd 2013, 7:54 pm

460pulling wrote:Did u use oil to torque? Could it be oil from the threads wicking its way out?

Im pretty sure i used moly, but have used 30wt oil many of times also...Im going out now to back 1 stud out and check...We have already had thoughts about oil wicking....Cause with the car not running for a week. no pressure anywhere...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 3rd 2013, 7:56 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I'm not sure about the 'leak' but, torqueing the heads to ~ 135 lbs. ft. would be better i.m.o.

I will say that the oil drain back should not be a pressure area like an oil gallery or water jacket and would not be prone to a leak unless the deck of the head or block is f'ed up

Yeah i been on the phone and web off and on all day...No way any pressure is there, car not started in a week....I also agree block or head failure could be the problem...But motor runs great, doesnt run hot or anything

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 4th 2013, 1:35 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I'm not sure about the 'leak' but, torqueing the heads to ~ 135 lbs. ft. would be better i.m.o.

Your saying tq to 135 with oil or moly ? I know alot of people use moly , but tq to oil settings...A few of my engines i used moly and tq'd to 125

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 4th 2013, 2:11 pm

I use 30 or 40 wt oil.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad July 5th 2013, 12:30 am

Lem Evans wrote:I use 30 or 40 wt oil.

Yeah 30 is what i always used also...Just took the head off but haven't found anything but looks like the gaskets dont cover some holes like they should...Will check it out more tomorrow...Was goin to look at it more, but went to town to get a bite to eat, some people were stranded at advance auto and a plug had blown out of 1 of their heads..We got them to follow us home and we just got the plug back in...Im tired...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down