BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

70 torino coil resistor location.

3 posters

Go down

70 torino coil resistor location. Empty 70 torino coil resistor location.

Post  Super CJ July 4th 2013, 1:28 pm

Putting a pertronix on mine and need to bypass the block resister but can't find it.

Last edited by Super CJ on July 5th 2013, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Super CJ

Back to top Go down

70 torino coil resistor location. Empty Re: 70 torino coil resistor location.

Post  David Cole July 4th 2013, 1:41 pm

It should NOT have a block resistor.  

It has a wire that is built into the wiring harness.  You need a wiring diagram to find it.  Ran into this issue with my Fairlane.  It had a Pertronix in it when I got it.  The resistor wire (pink on my car) was connected directly to the pertronix.  Ran fine with a low voltage load but would die at sop lights with the headlights or heater fan going.  The resistor wire was breaking down and wouldn't let enough voltage the coil under load AND with additional power needed.  

Got tired of messing with it.  Installed a recurved Duraspark distributor along a Digital 6 box.  I use the pink resistor wire to turn the D-6 box on, but it only takes a tiny draw to do that and doesn't put the wire under any load so it works great.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Super CJ July 4th 2013, 8:57 pm

Thanks David, I am used to working on Chevys and need to do a 180, Lol I did check and it has 12.37v to the coil wire on the positive side.

Super CJ

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole July 5th 2013, 5:25 am

Super CJ wrote:Thanks David, I am used to working on Chevys and need to do a 180, Lol  I did check and it has 12.37v to the coil wire on the positive side.

Engine running or off?
On My Fairlane the voltage was much lower at the + coil wire when it was running. No load was 12v
Put a load on it with a running coil and the voltage dropped.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Super CJ July 5th 2013, 8:35 am

Was not running. I did notice that after the pertronix install that it does not start as good which tells me that the voltage is dropping to the coil because the
starter is drawing all the power. That is my guess but I need to check. The harness is stock so I know I must have the resistor wire in place. I have a feeling
I will be running a new wire from the ignition to the coil so that I always have 12 there with starting, turning lights on, etc. Your thoughts?

Super CJ

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 5th 2013, 11:25 am

With EVERY Pertronix I recommend to be installed on any vehicle, (GM, Ford , Mopar, Foreign, Marine, etc.), I recommend the regular distributor wire be used to simply excite a RELAY.
This way, you don't have to trace anything which was in there before because it will now have absolutely NO effect on the performance of the Pertronix, (or Crane).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Super CJ July 5th 2013, 1:59 pm

Can you explain in greater detail please?

Super CJ

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 5th 2013, 7:03 pm

Super CJ wrote:Can you explain in greater detail please?

Hooking up a relay to the ignition is pretty elementary electronics.
The ignition switch simply turns on and off the relay and the electrical current for the ignition goes directly from the battery by way of through the relay to power the actual ignition.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Super CJ July 5th 2013, 7:41 pm

So you are saying to use the resistor wire on the positive side of the coil to trigger the relay which is tied directly to a 12 volt source. the voltage through the relay will be 12volts as long as the ignition is active and released once you turn the ignition off.

However, if the 12v drops at the relay from the ignition resistor wire won't that open the contacts for the outside 12 volts and we end up with the same problem?

Super CJ

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 5th 2013, 9:48 pm

Super CJ wrote:So you are saying to use the resistor wire on the positive side of the coil to trigger the relay which is tied directly to a 12 volt source. the voltage through the relay will be 12volts as long as the ignition is active and released once you turn the ignition off.

However, if the 12v drops at the relay from the ignition resistor wire won't that open the contacts for the outside 12 volts and we end up with the same problem?

It takes very little current and voltage for the operation of a regular auto parts store universal relay.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down