BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil pan.

5 posters

Go down

oil pan.  Empty oil pan.

Post  blown473 July 21st 2013, 12:39 pm

Speaking again on the topic of oil pans, I just found out the hard way that Canton's 429-460 Road Race pan #15-764 for $322 doesn't fit or clear their Canton main girdle or windage tray with out cutting out the crank scraper & trimming the windage tray back to the edges of the girdle, then spot facing the girdle sides if it rubs the pan walls. Wish that had been noted in their catalog or on their web page. I was having trouble with a custom pan that was based on a Moroso road race lower section, so I decided to just buy an off the shelf one to save time & headache, and it did not work out that way. If I had to do this over again I would have stayed with the rear sump 8qt factory Ford truck pan which clears everything other than removing the in pan dipstick . I went to front sump for more drop axle suspension travel, but it's been a job to get it fitted. Just had to vent, I'm fully aware that custom engines require lots of massaging, but more details on installation would be welcomed from buyers , I'm sure the manufacturers have had feedback from customers.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

oil pan.  Empty Re: oil pan.

Post  LivermoreDave July 21st 2013, 12:51 pm

A "shelf" specialized oil pan I purchased from Canton incorporated a few mistakes. I called Canton and spoke with their Tech Department of the issues. They only ask me to diagram the areas and mark the pan where the issues existed. Yes it delayed production a bit but Canton resolves all of the issues I had and the pan fit great, works great and remains in service. The result, a satisfied and returning customer.

The point of my jiberous, we expect alot for our money although regardless of the money spent, at times there are issues. I have found addressing the issues with the manufacture in a mannerly fashion goes a long way.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 21st 2013, 1:02 pm

thats what main girdles are good for....Very Happy 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 July 21st 2013, 2:03 pm

Knock the main girdle all you want, my old blown 473 spun right up to the rev limiter, and lasted 9 years without a single bottom end issue, that's exactly why there's one on my new 4.3 stroker. If you don't like them, don't use one. Because of Ford's lack of 4 bolt main blocks at affordable prices I've been using them since the 1970's when I was building 351W's which in those times was considered a dog compared to the 351C. I ran a blown 351W in my T-bucket with one with pinned main & rod bearings & factory rods with polished beams & Mr Gasket rod bolts, the affordable parts at the time, that engine had zero issues as well. This post was about a pan but the peanut gallery in here can't resist the temptation to knock someone's build. Because I'm running supercharged I'm pretty certain I'm making more power than the average builder on here, but you don't see me on here knocking a newbie running iron heads and a budget build.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 21st 2013, 11:56 pm

blown473 wrote:Knock the main girdle all you want, my old blown 473 spun right up to the rev limiter, and lasted 9 years without a single bottom end issue, that's exactly why there's one on my new 4.3 stroker. If you don't like them, don't use one. Because of Ford's lack of 4 bolt main blocks at affordable prices I've been using them since the 1970's when I was building 351W's which in those times was considered a dog compared to the 351C. I ran a blown 351W in my T-bucket with one with pinned main & rod bearings & factory rods with polished beams & Mr Gasket rod bolts, the affordable parts at the time, that engine had zero issues as well. This post was about a pan but the peanut gallery in here can't resist the temptation to knock someone's build. Because I'm running supercharged I'm pretty certain I'm making more power than the average builder on here, but you don't see me on here knocking a newbie running iron heads and a budget build.
i sure dont think i knocked your build but if you took it that way i'm sorry.i have ran a girdle and took it off to see the later results of cap walk were the same as with it so i dont use it now.good luck with your pan.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 22nd 2013, 6:40 pm

blown473 wrote:Knock the main girdle all you want, my old blown 473 spun right up to the rev limiter, and lasted 9 years without a single bottom end issue, that's exactly why there's one on my new 4.3 stroker. If you don't like them, don't use one. Because of Ford's lack of 4 bolt main blocks at affordable prices I've been using them since the 1970's when I was building 351W's which in those times was considered a dog compared to the 351C. I ran a blown 351W in my T-bucket with one with pinned main & rod bearings & factory rods with polished beams & Mr Gasket rod bolts, the affordable parts at the time, that engine had zero issues as well. This post was about a pan but the peanut gallery in here can't resist the temptation to knock someone's build. Because I'm running supercharged I'm pretty certain I'm making more power than the average builder on here, but you don't see me on here knocking a newbie running iron heads and a budget build.

Glad you had good luck w/your 9 yr. old build,but I would give the engine builder/tuner more credit than the main girdle. And another thing is,you cannot compare a 351w block to a 385 series block.ESPECIALLY when it comes to strength. I'm not knocking your build either,actually praising it where the praise belongs.Smile 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 July 22nd 2013, 6:48 pm

I do have an outstanding machinist, I do my own tuning, I'm an old hat at blower motors. Like any long term racer you stick with what has worked in the past.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane July 22nd 2013, 11:41 pm

If you need that F700 pan, Greg, you just say the word. You want the deep end of the pan brought up to the "shallow" end's height for clearance, you just say the word.

Cool 

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blown473 July 23rd 2013, 8:33 pm

Thanks Paul, I think we have it handled now, if not I will give you a call. This pan has turned into a government project !
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum