BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

+7
Greg_P
res0rli9
TorinoGT
billandlori
jasonf
richter69
TravisRice
11 posters

Go down

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? Empty How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

Post  TravisRice October 24th 2009, 6:10 pm

Would like your input?? Is it worth it or should I just go the cable /AOD route??

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? Empty Re: How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

Post  richter69 October 24th 2009, 7:32 pm

E40D is the way to go..............by a mile.

Depending on the year of trans you have will determine how much needs to be replaced.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? Empty Re: How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

Post  TravisRice October 24th 2009, 10:34 pm

Jon,
I don't have one yet. Is there any certain year or one that I should be looking for ?

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 24th 2009, 10:41 pm

later the better, I may have some parts lying around.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 24th 2009, 11:00 pm

I am planning on starting this winter with the parts collection to make the swap. I see Greg Pettit has a rebuilt converter pretty cheap and I was thinking of starting by snagging it up. How hard is the computer stuff for the trans to wire up?? Or can it pretty much be hard wired with a switch to activate the OD.

Thanks Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 25th 2009, 12:33 am

Isn't the E4OD a rather large transmission? What are you putting it in Travis?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 25th 2009, 8:10 am

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? 049

Plans are for a FUEL MILAGE 514-545 pump gas low compression towing engine coupled with an E4OD or last resort an AOD.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 25th 2009, 12:11 pm

Thats goanna be an awesome tow vehicle Travis!!

It would be nice if you could hard wire the OD, the controllers are big bucks!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 25th 2009, 1:46 pm

billandlori wrote:Thats goanna be an awesome tow vehicle Travis!!

Bill

Thanks Bill. Long story short, I looked at a lot of older trucks for way more money. Did not buy any of them as I thought that $10,000 should have bought a near perfectly restored F-250 2WD. Face it these things are not really a collector item or in demand like a older mustang. Anyhow truck was an e-bay truck . 50,800 original miles, one repaint in 1980. I did not bid on it even thought the pictures made the truck look like a new one. Had several conversations with the owner, and both of us thought the truck would have sold by the end of the Auction. Told him to call me if it did not sell. Sat nite, 10:10 the phone rings says the truck got no bids. I told him I would be there at 9 AM in the morning to look at it. 300 miles and 5 hours later I was on the way home with a nicer truck than I ever wanted, no rustanywhere. Nice truck that I can drive , take it to a cruise with the daughter, wash it and not worry about getting caught out in the rain.

Travis

Last edited by TravisRice on July 25th 2010, 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT October 25th 2009, 2:21 pm

Wow thats a beautifull truck and a great project concept! Keep us posted with your progress!

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori October 25th 2009, 6:37 pm

TravisRice wrote:
billandlori wrote:Thats goanna be an awesome tow vehicle Travis!!

Bill

Thanks Bill. Long story short, I looked at a lot of older trucks for way more money. Did not buy any of them as I thought that $10,000 should have bought a near perfectly restored F-250 2WD. Face it these things are not really a collector item or in demand like a older mustang. Anyhow truck was an e-bay truck for Buy it now -$6000. 50,800 original miles, one repaint in 1980. I did not bid on it even thought the pictures made the truck look like a new one. Had several conversations with the owner, and both of us thought the truck would have sold by the end of the Auction. Told him to call me if it did not sell. Sat nite, 10:10 the phone rings says the truck got no bids. I told him I would be there at 9 AM in the morning to look at it. 300 miles and 5 hours later I was on the way home with a nicer truck than I ever wanted, no rustanywhere. $5500 bought it. Nice truck that I can drive , take it to a cruise with the daughter, wash it and not worry about getting caught out in the rain.

Travis

Cool story Travis! That is a sweet deal, you bought a good 'un there. It sure makes it nice to work on a rust free project. It sounds like it was well worth the drive.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 25th 2009, 7:20 pm

You have to use a controller with the e4od, its an electric shift trans.

Be worth the effort though I promise.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 October 25th 2009, 7:33 pm

richter69 wrote:You have to use a controller with the e4od, its an electric shift trans.

Be worth the effort though I promise.

here's the controlers.
www.becontrols.com

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 26th 2009, 7:37 pm

richter69 wrote:E40D is the way to go..............by a mile.

Depending on the year of trans you have will determine how much needs to be replaced.

Jon,
I am getting ready to do a full frame and cage job for a friends 63 Tempest. He has a salvage yard and looked around today. He has an E4OD out of a 97 F-250 2wd with 147,000 miles on it. The build date is 8-97 on the truck. Is this one worth looking at?? The trans appears to be in good working order, right side of the truck was sideswiped hard but the truck moved under it's own power fine. Question is what else do I need off of the truck to make it function properly?? I am sure I can get everything that I would need for a little extra $$$, Next question is how much are these trans selling for?? He offered me this one for $400 pulled and ready to go which I thought was very reasonable.

Make me a list guy's and I will see if I can round enough stuff up to be dangerous. tongue Wink

Thanks again,
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P October 26th 2009, 8:24 pm

The E4OD trans you decide to use must be from a 460 engine, and it would be very helpful to be a 2wd model.

Also, there is no provision to drive a speedometer cable from the newer e4od's. The earlier ones, however, had a conventional gear driven speed sensor that will accept a speedo cable to run a mechanical speedo.

After giving it much thought, I have decided to go with the Baumann trans controller. Broader Performance is a dealer for the Baumann stuff, so check over there and see if Jay can give you a deal.

The converter I have for sale is a HD towing and RV unit with a forged cover. Supposedly it was installed along with this rebuilt trans and then the 460 in the truck tossed a rod.

The converter looks like new.

Greg

Here's a C6 and an E4OD side by side:

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? 100_3625
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 26th 2009, 8:38 pm

[quote="Greg_P"]The E4OD trans you decide to use must be from a 460 engine, and it would be very helpful to be a 2wd model.

Also, there is no provision to drive a speedometer cable from the newer e4od's. The earlier ones, however, had a conventional gear driven speed sensor that will accept a speedo cable to run a mechanical speedo.

After giving it much thought, I have decided to go with the Baumann trans controller. Broader Performance is a dealer for the Baumann stuff, so check over there and see if Jay can give you a deal.

The converter I have for sale is a HD towing and RV unit with a forged cover. Supposedly it was installed along with this rebuilt trans and then the 460 in the truck tossed a rod.

The converter looks like new.

Greg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks Greg, I was hoping you would chime in. The trans is from a running and moving 97 F-250 /460 truck. The engine is also for sale but I am more interested in building a carbed 514-545. Dave Mclain and a few others say that a 17-20mpg combo could be had if I use the right parts. Surprised That would be cool. did not want to get your hopes up on the converter until I got the trans deal all ironed out. Hopefully this thing will come together pretty easily.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 27th 2009, 12:27 am

Travis,

I think the 97 F-250 and 350's were the last year for the 460's i believe IIRC.So that would be the newest E4OD that would bolt behind a 460.I like your old truck i seen a old one like you have here in Northeast,Ohio that looked really nice and clean about 30 minutes from my house.I think they wanted like 5 or 6,000 for it,good luck with your swap should be very cool.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 27th 2009, 5:07 am

Mark this truck came from Galion, Ohio. Same one??

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham October 27th 2009, 9:28 am

If you go with a trans controller, go with a PCS. That's what I have. I use a 4R100 behind my 7.3 diesel with a PCS controller. My truck came with a 6-speed, so I just bought the controller instead of trying to find a wiring harness. I have thought about putting a 4R100 in my 1967 F100.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P October 27th 2009, 12:28 pm

The problem (IMHO) with the PCS, while I am sure it is a fine unit, is that it costs twice as much as the Baumann controller.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord October 28th 2009, 8:24 am

What I am wondering about is the transmission fitting. I think (I could be wrong here) that the transmission tunnel with the bolt on top is taller then the one that is part of the floor pan. Thought I would throw that out there.

Need a shot of the interior man. Shocked
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 28th 2009, 5:23 pm

Mine is a original 4 speed truck, so it has the higher tunnel so to speak. right now it does have a C-6 in it.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? 043

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 28th 2009, 11:38 pm

Travis,

The truck i was talking about was in Tallmadge,Ohio about 3 to 4 miles from Summit Racing and was Dark Blue and looked very clean.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs October 29th 2009, 6:30 am

TravisRice wrote:Mine is a original 4 speed truck, so it has the higher tunnel so to speak. right now it does have a C-6 in it.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? 043

Man that thing is clean. Nice unit. Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 1st 2009, 2:27 pm

Nevs, thanks for the compliments. Again it is nicer than I wanted for a truck.

Ok guys, Help me with a list of stuff I should collect off of the donor truck. Do I need just the trans or do I need some other pieces to help with the install?/ Thanks guys.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down