BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

+7
Greg_P
res0rli9
TorinoGT
billandlori
jasonf
richter69
TravisRice
11 posters

Go down

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

Post  TravisRice October 26th 2009, 8:38 pm

[quote="Greg_P"]The E4OD trans you decide to use must be from a 460 engine, and it would be very helpful to be a 2wd model.

Also, there is no provision to drive a speedometer cable from the newer e4od's. The earlier ones, however, had a conventional gear driven speed sensor that will accept a speedo cable to run a mechanical speedo.

After giving it much thought, I have decided to go with the Baumann trans controller. Broader Performance is a dealer for the Baumann stuff, so check over there and see if Jay can give you a deal.

The converter I have for sale is a HD towing and RV unit with a forged cover. Supposedly it was installed along with this rebuilt trans and then the 460 in the truck tossed a rod.

The converter looks like new.

Greg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks Greg, I was hoping you would chime in. The trans is from a running and moving 97 F-250 /460 truck. The engine is also for sale but I am more interested in building a carbed 514-545. Dave Mclain and a few others say that a 17-20mpg combo could be had if I use the right parts. Surprised That would be cool. did not want to get your hopes up on the converter until I got the trans deal all ironed out. Hopefully this thing will come together pretty easily.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine??

Post  Mark Miller October 27th 2009, 12:27 am

Travis,

I think the 97 F-250 and 350's were the last year for the 460's i believe IIRC.So that would be the newest E4OD that would bolt behind a 460.I like your old truck i seen a old one like you have here in Northeast,Ohio that looked really nice and clean about 30 minutes from my house.I think they wanted like 5 or 6,000 for it,good luck with your swap should be very cool.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 27th 2009, 5:07 am

Mark this truck came from Galion, Ohio. Same one??

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham October 27th 2009, 9:28 am

If you go with a trans controller, go with a PCS. That's what I have. I use a 4R100 behind my 7.3 diesel with a PCS controller. My truck came with a 6-speed, so I just bought the controller instead of trying to find a wiring harness. I have thought about putting a 4R100 in my 1967 F100.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P October 27th 2009, 12:28 pm

The problem (IMHO) with the PCS, while I am sure it is a fine unit, is that it costs twice as much as the Baumann controller.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord October 28th 2009, 8:24 am

What I am wondering about is the transmission fitting. I think (I could be wrong here) that the transmission tunnel with the bolt on top is taller then the one that is part of the floor pan. Thought I would throw that out there.

Need a shot of the interior man. Shocked
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice October 28th 2009, 5:23 pm

Mine is a original 4 speed truck, so it has the higher tunnel so to speak. right now it does have a C-6 in it.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? - Page 2 043

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 28th 2009, 11:38 pm

Travis,

The truck i was talking about was in Tallmadge,Ohio about 3 to 4 miles from Summit Racing and was Dark Blue and looked very clean.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs October 29th 2009, 6:30 am

TravisRice wrote:Mine is a original 4 speed truck, so it has the higher tunnel so to speak. right now it does have a C-6 in it.

How much crap to make a E4OD work behind a towing 460 based engine?? - Page 2 043

Man that thing is clean. Nice unit. Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 1st 2009, 2:27 pm

Nevs, thanks for the compliments. Again it is nicer than I wanted for a truck.

Ok guys, Help me with a list of stuff I should collect off of the donor truck. Do I need just the trans or do I need some other pieces to help with the install?/ Thanks guys.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down