BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on mafia intake

3 posters

Go down

Question on mafia intake Empty Question on mafia intake

Post  BradB August 3rd 2013, 10:42 am

I have a question for you folks that have expirience with several mafia intakes. I'm thinking of installing a mafia intake on an engine, what are the odds it will leak from porosity in the casting, as I've heard some do. I have the intake and it doesn't show obvious problems but it does look a little more porous than other intakes and heads I've dealt with. I'm wondering if I should pressure test it first and where the problem area would be. Thanks:D 

BradB

Back to top Go down

Question on mafia intake Empty Re: Question on mafia intake

Post  Dave C. August 3rd 2013, 2:28 pm

If you're not sure about it , you might as well check it. Cool 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  BradB August 3rd 2013, 3:24 pm

Question on mafia intake IMAG0336_zps5aeebefe
Question on mafia intake IMAG0334_zpsadaad360

Water cross over was my main concern, I figured that's easy enough to check.

BradB

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 3rd 2013, 7:15 pm

Well now that you've gone that far, go ahead and check it. From what I can see, there is nothing to worry about. If you do have any porosity, then buy some sodium silicate, (also know as "water glass") and pour it in the water crossover. Than apply some air pressure after you get it in there and tumble/slosh it around.

Just an FYI for all the guys, the TFS heads and manifolds are vacuum impregnated by the factory, with a solution that is very similiar to water glass. I have watched it being done.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BradB August 3rd 2013, 8:33 pm

Charlie,

I checked it and it is fine, I really didn't expect it to leak but I thought it wouldn't hurt to test. Even if it did I'm not afraid of it;)  This is nothing against the manufacturer and I know the internet "chicken little" mentality. If one or two are bad then it's an epidemic. I just wondered from guys who have used several of these what the chances of having issues were. I also have been around this and the other 460 forum enough to know who has an axe to grind with who and what companies, if there have been any issues at all they make sure everyone knows. If you don't see an issue with the intakes then that's good enough for me. I work in manufacturing and understand that bad parts can and WILL get out sometimes. Thanks!

BradB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down