Need Pontiac info

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  dfree383 on August 27th 2013, 2:56 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Some have them around 418 cfm at .800 lift.  It's just the blocks are sky high..............
only about $600-800 more than a A460 or Eliminator Block.
True, but you have to step back at some point, and he is there..............Laughing 
Guess I'm more of an all in or nothing kind. Laughing 
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  rmcomprandy on August 27th 2013, 3:32 pm

dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Some have them around 418 cfm at .800 lift.  It's just the blocks are sky high..............
only about $600-800 more than a A460 or Eliminator Block.
True, but you have to step back at some point, and he is there..............Laughing 
Guess I'm more of an all in or nothing kind. Laughing 
Not that at all ... you seem to have never been in a situation where the choice is use what you have got and feed your family or buy a new block and everyone eats peanut butter and jelly for a couple months and you buy no groceries or gas.
Most families won't go for that just so you can have a better toy.Wink 

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5143
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  Mike R on August 27th 2013, 8:02 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Some have them around 418 cfm at .800 lift.  It's just the blocks are sky high..............
only about $600-800 more than a A460 or Eliminator Block.
True, but you have to step back at some point, and he is there..............Laughing 
Guess I'm more of an all in or nothing kind. Laughing 
Not that at all ... you seem to have never been in a situation where the choice is use what you have got and feed your family or buy a new block and everyone eats peanut butter and jelly for a couple months and you buy no groceries or gas.
Most families won't go for that just so you can have a better toy.Wink 
X2, when I built my mud truck I was much younger and made a lot less money. We ate hamburger helper with out the hamburger for many meals til the wife said enough. I know some dirt track racers who's kids wore t-shirts from the free store for diapers so they could buy parts.

Mike R

Posts : 1309
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 57
Location : St Paul Mn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  TravisRice on August 27th 2013, 10:17 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
TravisRice wrote:Call Shawn or Jim ...................http://pickettsauto.com/Pickett_s_Auto_Racing.html


You may get close to 700 with a stock block but that's pretty much the limit.  
Thanks for the info Travis, I think it would be best to hold him at around 650 hp. It should have killer torque with the runner size the heads have and run very well.  
This is an Edelbrock headed 463 ?? Don't know what kind of head work is done to it. --- 13.1 compression, Small roller cam (low to mid 600 lift), th350, 3.89 Olds / Pontiac rear, 30X10.0 tire and does not rev over 6300 rpm. Weighs 3235 with driver.  I wish he would put a good converter in the thing but as it sits, it consistently runs 9.90's @ 133-134 mph with full exhaust on it. The car has been some 9.60's in the cool mine shaft fall air.


TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1135
Join date : 2009-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  dfree383 on August 27th 2013, 11:01 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Some have them around 418 cfm at .800 lift.  It's just the blocks are sky high..............
only about $600-800 more than a A460 or Eliminator Block.
True, but you have to step back at some point, and he is there..............Laughing 
Guess I'm more of an all in or nothing kind. Laughing 
Not that at all ... you seem to have never been in a situation where the choice is use what you have got and feed your family or buy a new block and everyone eats peanut butter and jelly for a couple months and you buy no groceries or gas.
Most families won't go for that just so you can have a better toy.Wink 
I hear ya... In my case it's me eating the PB & J, I don't have the wife and kids..... Or I wait for a bit on the project and do it when I can afford it.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14162
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  466cj on August 28th 2013, 12:53 am

If that 400 has a casting number that ends in 557 better look for another block as it is a light weight and won't take much more than 400 hp. The rest are ok and yes 650 hp is pushing the limit. Is important to sonic check these blocks as can be some core shift and most .060" over is not a good idea. Provided you did not do the machine work yet may want to think about doing a short fill.

Steve

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need Pontiac info

Post  IDT-572 on August 28th 2013, 5:38 pm

466cj wrote:If that 400 has a casting number that ends in 557 better look for another block as it is a light weight and won't take much more than 400 hp. The rest are ok and yes 650 hp is pushing the limit. Is important to sonic check these blocks as can be some core shift and most .060" over is not a good idea. Provided you did not do the machine work yet may want to think about doing a short fill.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Didn't know about the 557 number............. I will check.
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4604
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum