BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSD PROBLEM?

+3
dfree383
whatbumper
mustang557
7 posters

Go down

MSD PROBLEM? Empty MSD PROBLEM?

Post  mustang557 Tue 17 Sep - 6:13

THIS PAST WEEKEND I WENT UP TO MY LOCAL TRACK TO TEST MY NEW MOTOR COMBO. THE FIRST
PASS WAS A HALF PASS JUST TO SEE HOW THE CAR WAS GOING TO REACT TO THE NEW SETUP.
THE SECOND PASS I LEANED ON IT HARDER BUT STILL NOT ALL OUT, WHEN I TURNED OUT ON THE
RETURN ROAD THE MOTOR ACTED LIKE YOU WERE SWITCHING THE IGNITION ON AND OFF. WHILE THIS
WAS GOING ON MY SWITCH PANEL LIGHTS WERE FLASHING AND THE TACH WAS JUMPING. THE CAR
FINALY SHUT OFF AND I GOT TOWED BACK. I CHECKED THE CONNECTIONS ALL SEEMED OK TIME LAPS
WAS ABOUT 45 MINS. TRIED STARTING THE CAR AND IT RAN FINE. I TRIED IT 2-3 TIMES WHILE ANOTHER
PERSON WIGGLED ALL THE WIRES AND HARNESS, THE CAR RAN FINE. I DIDNT MAKE ANOTHER RUN, WOULD
LIKE TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PROBLEM. THE MSD BOX IS A 7-AL3 HAVE RUN THIS BOX FOR 7
YEARS. HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS? WAS ALSO TOLD THAT A BAD TACH COULD CAUSE THIS,
I DIDNT HAVE ANOTHER BOX OR TACH TO TRY.

mustang557

Back to top Go down

MSD PROBLEM? Empty Re: MSD PROBLEM?

Post  whatbumper Tue 17 Sep - 7:23

If the switch panel lights were flashing then you have a wire that came loose somewhere. A bad box wouldn't cause switch panel issues IMO. I bet it's a ground somewhere.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 Tue 17 Sep - 8:00

or a bad wire.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Tue 17 Sep - 8:09

dfree383 wrote:or a bad wire.
That too

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird Tue 17 Sep - 8:48

I had a ignition switch go bad and cause the same type problem,it went further though. It bend the crank and pushed the head gaskets from shutting it on and off at wide open throttle.I've had tons of trouble out of the MSD7AL3 box too.Good luck ...
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. Tue 17 Sep - 8:53

Crimp , solder, wrap. Cool 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Tue 17 Sep - 10:29

56Tbird wrote:I had a ignition switch go bad and cause the same type problem,it went further though. It bend the crank and pushed the head gaskets from shutting it on and off at wide open throttle.I've had tons of trouble out of the MSD7AL3 box too.Good luck ...
did that make your switch panel lights flash too? I've never used that ignition. We went straight from the old 6al's to the Digital 7's, the MSD 8+, MSD 10, and Pro-mags.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Wed 18 Sep - 23:18

i know a few who had problems with the al3.i have a al2 i bought new thats never had any problems for over 10 years.i did put a msd grid in that i found had been pulling 10*of timing out at launch.i did'nt program it to do that and after changing it back it did it again.Suspect 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper Wed 18 Sep - 23:23

cool40 wrote:i know a few who had problems with the al3.i have a al2 i bought new thats never had any problems for over 10 years.i did put a msd grid in that i found had been pulling 10*of timing out at launch.i did'nt program it to do that and after changing it back it did it again.Suspect 
There are a lot of settings to check over in the grids but I like them.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Thu 19 Sep - 0:08

whatbumper wrote:
cool40 wrote:i know a few who had problems with the al3.i have a al2 i bought new thats never had any problems for over 10 years.i did put a msd grid in that i found had been pulling 10*of timing out at launch.i did'nt program it to do that and after changing it back it did it again.Suspect 
There are a lot of settings to check over in the grids but I like them.
i like it but i may be too electricaly challenged to use it,lol. i cant get the low side rev to work now so i may be lost. i realy like the data aquisition.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave Fri 20 Sep - 9:17

Goverment messing with the power grid. That's what happens when you switch from coal fired power plants to wind mills! Go green but leave my A/C alone!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down