BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyl Bore ?

+8
bbf-falcon
richter69
c.evans
Frank Merkl
466cj
cool40
kim
colormebad
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cyl Bore ? Empty Cyl Bore ?

Post  colormebad October 8th 2013, 9:49 pm

How much problem would this mark cause ??

Cyl Bore ? 10-8-20136-45-33PM_zps48c15ab9

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Cyl Bore ? Empty Re: Cyl Bore ?

Post  kim October 9th 2013, 12:41 pm

Looks like its bottom of the bore, then none. If its the top, daily driver.... go with it... High performance or perfection, that's a problem. Going to get some compression bypass on that one.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 9th 2013, 1:26 pm

looks scratched.......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 9th 2013, 1:56 pm

Run it..
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 1:59 pm

richter69 wrote:looks scratched.......
Wasn't smoking or anything and all cyl's had same compression...That mark was from some defective new valves on some heads i sent back..They were flaking off

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 2:02 pm

kim wrote:Looks like its bottom of the bore, then none.  If its the top, daily driver....  go with it... High performance or perfection, that's a problem.  Going to get some compression bypass on that one.

Its at the top...Not as deep downward but can hang a nail as you go up toward the top...Here is another pic...

Cyl Bore ? 2013_1008438_Cyl_wall0023_zps846c29cc

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 9th 2013, 2:04 pm

Damn, maybe they sould buy your engine.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kim October 9th 2013, 2:53 pm

If it didn't give you problems before tear down.. And your not looking for the last umpth.. Use it. If your luck is like mine, you lament over that scratch and the next failure kills the block.... Run it. Ive seen engines pulled apart and thrown together in the gravel of back pits..... Not the best of situations, but sometimes the best you can do is more than good enough.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj October 9th 2013, 3:15 pm

If you can hang a finger nail on it get the block honed.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl October 9th 2013, 3:43 pm

just run it!!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 9th 2013, 7:26 pm

colormebad wrote:
Wasn't smoking or anything and all cyl's had same compression...That mark was from some defective new valves on some heads i sent back..They were flaking off
I've never seen that happen and I've done hundreds of sets of heads,,,so I guess I'm finding that scenario hard to believe. Even so, you seem to think there is some kind of warranty on racing parts, and it's been said a couple of million times,,, There ain't no warranty on racing parts!

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 7:43 pm

c.evans wrote:
colormebad wrote:
I've never seen that happen and I've done hundreds of sets of heads,,,so I guess I'm finding that scenario hard to believe.  Even so, you seem to think there is some kind of warranty on racing parts, and it's been said a couple of million times,,, There ain't no warranty on racing parts!

Charlie
I have done hundreds also , but also never had parts of the valve stem on new valves break off also...I never mentioned anything about a warranty...I just simply ask about the mark...Its no big deal, just one of them things that stays on your mind till you fix it right...Most likley will have the block rehoned if it will not go over the clearance...If so' i will just order a new set of pistons and rebore...I have learned to stick with my local machine shop from now on...Seems he is the only one i can trust when it comes to machine work....

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 9th 2013, 8:32 pm

Cyl Bore ? 7BDF6E5F-D5F8-4C78-AD23-68F2ECDABDAF-529-0000026726D60675_zpsd7331851
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 8:37 pm

richter69 wrote:Cyl Bore ? 7BDF6E5F-D5F8-4C78-AD23-68F2ECDABDAF-529-0000026726D60675_zpsd7331851
That says 6Cyl....Sure its enough in that can for 2 more Cyl's ??? Very Happy 

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 9th 2013, 8:41 pm

kim wrote:If it didn't give you problems before tear down..  And your not looking for the last umpth..  Use it.  If your luck is like mine, you lament over that scratch and the next failure kills the block....  Run it.  Ive seen engines pulled apart and thrown together in the gravel of back pits.....  Not the best of situations, but sometimes the best you can do is more than good enough.
X2,You will never know the difference.Run it.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 8:43 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
kim wrote:If it didn't give you problems before tear down..  And your not looking for the last umpth..  Use it.  If your luck is like mine, you lament over that scratch and the next failure kills the block....  Run it.  Ive seen engines pulled apart and thrown together in the gravel of back pits.....  Not the best of situations, but sometimes the best you can do is more than good enough.
X2,You will never know the difference.Run it.

I will bolt the heads back on tomorrow, make a few passes in a week or so , come back and let you know how it works out....thanks

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 9th 2013, 8:46 pm

You will be fine.Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 8:50 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:You will be fine.Very Happy 

Dont know Will' but hang out some with ole Roy some...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield October 9th 2013, 9:49 pm

Run the P!$$ out of it !Back in 09 I had a oil galley plug under the intake blow out going down the track Evil or Very Mad . Needless to say it seized up . let it cool kept working with it and got it fired back up . Got it home next morning backed of the trailer no oil psi. Took it apart sent it all to machine shop had scratches on pistons and on cylinder walls . Honed installed the old prob pistons after having all of the oil galley plugs replaced with screw in pipe plugs. its been running fine ever since. By the way I am not bragging just giving you some encouragement. Cool It may go at anytime , but as hard as she has been run its time for it too:shock: Shocked affraid affraid 
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj October 9th 2013, 10:48 pm

Can you guys explain to me why you spend $1,000's on machine work and then give out advice like this? I am thinking you all can save yourselves a bunch of money. Yes it will run, but don't think there will be no difference. Bet it will be off a .1 or .2

Do yourself a favor and have the machine shop look at it. Many times can hone it out without issue. If it is apart not like it will cost much unless your shop don't like you.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 9th 2013, 10:58 pm

466cj wrote:Can you guys explain to me why you spend $1,000's on machine work and then give out advice like this? I am thinking you all can save yourselves a bunch of money. Yes it will run, but don't think there will be no difference. Bet it will be off a .1 or .2

Do yourself a favor and have the machine shop look at it. Many times can hone it out without issue. If it is apart not like it will cost much unless your shop don't like you.
I still use my old machine shop...Its just when i ordered this block , it was already fully machined...I just call him up and he tells me when to bring what ever i need work on...Myself....I would rather see if it could be re-honed and keep my piston-wall clearance in spec's, If not i would rather buy new pistons...Like you said! Why pay high $ for all the parts and half@ss do the other....

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 9th 2013, 11:45 pm

[quote="466cj"]Can you guys explain to me why you spend $1,000's on machine work and then give out advice like this? I am thinking you all can save yourselves a bunch of money. Yes it will run, but don't think there will be no difference. Bet it will be off a .1 or .2

If it is, it won't be because of those scratches in 1 cylinder.Shocked 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj October 10th 2013, 1:01 am

Was for me. Long time ago about 1989 had piston with real high ring pack cracked off piece of the piston at the valve notch, just too thin, was a very small piece. Put a mark in the wall just catch with a finger nail. Ran great, just was off .1 or so. Just my experience. Maybe blame the piston... Darn thing had five other cracked pistons all same place and was $1,000 set (back then!) with a six month wait. Life is so much easier today.

Just remember next time you pick up your freshly honed block don't complain to the ship if a bore or two have a "scratch" in them at the top. Laughing

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 10th 2013, 6:17 am

Let me ask you this? if you have built hundreds of engines why are you asking this question? seems you ask to get someone to say what you want again. Hone it or not it will not make a Damn bit of difference either way....what ever keeps you panties smiling is what you should do...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad October 10th 2013, 8:28 am

the Coug wrote:Let me ask you this? if you have built hundreds of engines why are you asking this question? seems you ask to get someone to say what you want again. Hone it or not it will not make a Damn bit of difference either way....what ever keeps you panties smiling is what you should do...

Its people like you that need to be wearing panties! Everytime a person comes in asking a serious ? , Always has to be a smart@ss making statments that i didnt even say anything about...I ask a simple ? and others gave a simple answer...You on the other hand, Just want to start crap and mess up a topic for no reason at all...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next