BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENGINE WANT START

+2
IDT-572
tconnection
6 posters

Go down

ENGINE WANT START Empty ENGINE WANT START

Post  tconnection November 5th 2013, 10:48 pm

Out of 6 times of intake gasket changing, 5 of the times i marked the distributor but this go round i didnt. I believe questions will get me back cranked up so that i can get it set back at 32 degrees. I know i need top dead center on the compression stroke so When it blow on my finger i bring the 0 to the pointer. The dist. is locked out. My first question is, with the dist being locked out, should it crank with the pointer pointing at 0 and button at number 1 or do i need to put the pointer at a much higher degree and button to number 1?
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

ENGINE WANT START Empty Re: ENGINE WANT START

Post  IDT-572 November 5th 2013, 11:11 pm

Bring it to tdc on compression stroke then back it up to 20 degrees btdc. Then point the rotary button to the number one plug wire on the cap. You should be close enough to start and run.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 6th 2013, 12:14 am

Ok im fixin to try that right now with a optma yellow top.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 6th 2013, 1:22 pm

I tested the msd box according to msd instructions and it checked out good by getting spark from the coil wire to a ground. But! Im not getting spark from the coil wire to the coil terminal on the distributor nor from the dist to plug.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney November 6th 2013, 2:26 pm

Did the pickup coil crap out?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 6th 2013, 9:17 pm

That's what it's pointing at. Im not getting any ohm reading from the pickup coil so im ordering one from summit tom.
Thanks

Last edited by tconnection on November 7th 2013, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 6th 2013, 9:35 pm

Dizzy module.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 6th 2013, 9:38 pm

Man your luck sound like mine I went out last weekend to fire mine up and back it out of the trailer so I could give it a good cleaning and wax it. Jump in the truck primed the carb with alky and forgot to put some gas down the carb for a cold start spun over hit the ing switch nothing it hit me I forgot the gas instead of getting out put gas down the carb I just hit the foot feed 4 or 5 times hit gain it back fired and knocked the starter off and finished off the cracked ear. Now I got to fix the bell housing before I can put a starter on with the nw pg that going in it.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave November 8th 2013, 11:05 am

tconnection wrote:That's what it's pointing at. Im not getting any ohm reading from the pickup coil so im ordering one from summit tom.
Thanks
I'm not certain of the checking procedure for your specific pickup mechanism. Can I assume it's a magnetic trigger of sorts? Will it indicate a resistance reading or should a continuity check be performed? Another thought if I may? When testing for spark as you have, open and visual, I would suggest that the complete system be intact. Spark plug for cylinder tested removed and grounded, spark plug wire attached to the spark plug and distributor and the primary wire attached also. With the ignition on and the distributor loose rotate the complete distributor past the contact for the cylinder tested and watch for spark at the grounded spark plug. This method also assists in starting an engine for the first time or after a distributor has been reinstalled.

Just my $0.02,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection November 10th 2013, 9:46 pm

I put a new pickup in it and now its cranking but im still not getting a ohms reading unless my meter is bad which i did get a reading off the coil. Im goiia check it again tonite.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down